Art and Arcana

Nevada

Umbrae said:
Syncretism. A good word.
Had to look that up, and found it interesting that it carries a lot of meaning for me right now. A very good word. Thanks. :)

The book's on my wish list at Amazon.

xviiirkna

Umbrae said:
Beautifully written, and like I said before – it gets better with each reading.

Umbrae and Rose, who also had good things to say about this book,

Ron Decker is a friend of mine. Would you mind if I shared your comments with him? I'll be meeting with him a week from this Saturday. I know he'd be so happy to hear that people are not only getting a lot out of his book but enjoying reading it as well. It really is nicely written, isn't it? I was glad that his style finally got a chance to shine on it's own - he sort of got a rep for 'dry historical writer' after the books he contributed to with Depaulis and Dummett.

Blessings,
Sally Anne

Umbrae

By all means share with him.

He's welcome to my e-mail addy also if he wants to correspond.

xviiirkna

Umbrae said:
He's welcome to my e-mail addy also if he wants to correspond.

He's not online, although he occasionally surfs the net at the library. I'll pm you with his snail mail if you'd like to write to him.

Blessings,
Sally Anne

SongDeva

Thought I'd mention that Overstock.com has the book for $6.99, and shipping is 1.40 in the US.

tmgrl2

Thanks, SongDeva!
I had it on order in Amazon and canceled. Got it at Overstock.

terri

lark

I have to second Umbrae's opinion of this book.
Wonderful little volume just packed with no nonsense information.
I've read it twice now and it has become a regular fixture on my tarot desk....
And not many books get that privilege.

You don't have to own the deck to enjoy and learn from the book, but I found it tripled my understanding of the deck.
He explains what the pictures and symbols on the cards are and it opened a whole new understanding of the Medieval Scapini deck for me.
If Overstock has it for 6.99 it's the best 6.99 you'll spend in a long time.

TemperanceAngel

I just noticed this thread the noo, Umbrae thanks for putting the link in the Medieval Scapini thread in Tarot Decks.

Well, I suppose all I can do is buy it now and then I will be able to chat more in this thread!

MeeWah

Le_Corsair said:
Great gods, a tarot book that Umbrae doesn't want to burn! It must be worthy! :D

Bob :THERM

Ditto what Le_Corsair said.

This the first time I can recall Umbrae recommending an actual Tarot book!!--but memory may not be reliable :D Heeding the recommendation as I have the Medieval Scapini.

Got it as a "souvenir" from The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Also because I was intrigued that it was there at all & the only Tarot deck, too, amongst thousands of books, posters & miscellany in the museum shop!

sarahbellum

My copy of Art and Arcana arrived today (as did my copy of Meditations on the Tarot). (Boy am i gonna be busy.) I have only glanced at A&A but already I am excited about it. Medieval Scapini is my very favorite reading deck--somehow the symbols resonate for me more than in any other cards--and this book is going to open up whole new shades of meaning.

I have really been focusing lately on the actual symbols in the various decks rather than on what a card "should" mean. Readings have become exercises in free association for me and the querent, and this is one of the richest decks for that style of reading.

I can see, just flipping through Decker's book, that he has taken a similar approach, looking closely at the actual pictures. The deck's blend of medieval-ish style and rich imagery has deserved its own book for a long time.