The Book of the Law Study Group 2.9

Grigori

Not much to say about this line perhaps...

I love this one, its one of my favorites so far, and one of the things I find appealing about Thelemic ideas. The idea that life on our little planet is not only allowed to be, but also supposed to be joyful is very resonant with me. Sure there are shadows of sorrow, but that's not all there is. And if the shadows are getting you down, you have permission to switch on a light :lightbulb

I like this line a lot.

thorhammer

I like I:44 better, but this is nice :)

The shadows bit makes it feel all eternal and stuff, like the sorrows are marginal, tangential wisps created by snagged Wills frustrated in their purpose, but that the truth remains and endures, limitless and glowing, at the centre of it all.

Yes, very nice. Very calming, and I must say that not much else about Thelema has struck me as being calming. It's very exciting, demanding and sometimes downright stressful or terrifying (to me) but this line . . . yeah, calming.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players
Unfortunately the players are totally identified with the parts that they play. And when you identify with the transient phenomenon called the self, it invariably leads to sorrow.

Hadit, the core of the individual star, is never harmed by his experience of incarnation. From his perspective this serious business that we call life is nothing more than the love play of Nuit and Hadit. It is all joy!

But this is the "big picture". The thing that is hidden from us during our incarnations, that makes individual existence possible. If only we could obtain a glimps of the real nature of things, wouldn't our woeful lot in life be transformed from sorrow into pure joy?

ravenest

Yeah - a great line. It's taken me a looooooooong time to get to this space - but worth it.

Of course sometimes I loose it, but latlely it comes up 'by itself' more often, the other day I was sitting at my table looking out the window, nothing particulaly amazing happening, or just happened, but I thought "It's great to be alive," - not doing anything ... just being.

Normandy Ellis's book - Becoming Osiris ( re written verses from the Egyptian 'Book of the Dead' ) shows great writings on this - the pure joy of existence; a farmer greets the rising sun, sees its light reflected in the river. a flock of geese pass overhead ... and he is in ecstacy.

Sometimes it's captured in Japanese Hyku - a moment of pure joy, an apprecitaion of being alive - or even dying - a single plum blossom on the snow ... or lying on a country road after a bike stack, realizing I cant move and the next car to come around the corner will run over me - looking to the mountains and the clear sky and thinking , this is a great place to die.

The joy of 'just' exisisting ...

... or maybe I've just been spoiled ???

thorhammer

No, ravenest - I really love your link to haiku. I've always loved haiku, but have never been able to write a "good" one, if you get my meaning. It's hard to compress such a huge feeling, such a vast connectedness, into five tiny lines :)

\m/ Kat

Lore347

Yeah, this is a powerful line IMO, one that you need to keep firmly in sight during one of those pesky 'Dark Nights'.