1, 2, 3- The significance of a Straight

Ravensong_9

This morning I shuffled my deck, feeling down about whether I made the right choice and I decided on the yes or no spread. I personally love it. It's a three card spread and I pull the cards until I hit 13 cards or an Ace. Three Aces mean yes and two mean maybe, while one means no. The other cards are the obstacles or reasons behind the answer.

This morning I got 3 of cups, 2 of wands and an Ace of cups. When I pulled the 3 and 2 I was amused and thought, "Wouldn't it be crazy to pull an Ace?" and lo and behold I did!

So I'm curious. Does getting a pattern of numbers significant in any way when reading the cards? And if they are, how so?

WinterRose

Yeah, I'd definitely pay attention when something like that happens. As to what it measn, well, I think that depends on the questions asked and the cards themselves. In descending order, however, it's almost like it's counting down, which to me seems like something will happen sooner rather than later. When it's in ascending order, it's more distant. That's just one version, but I've had a knackering day so too tired to write more...

nisaba

Ravensong_9 said:
It's a three card spread and I pull the cards until I hit 13 cards or an Ace.
A three card spread and you go on pulling cards potentially until you have 13 in front of you? Doesn't that make it a 13 card spread, or an ace-high spread? If it's a three-card spread, don't you stop at the third card? Now I'm *really* confused!

Ravensong_9 said:
This morning I got 3 of cups, 2 of wands and an Ace of cups. When I pulled the 3 and 2 I was amused and thought, "Wouldn't it be crazy to pull an Ace?" and lo and behold I did!
<grin> If you've had that thought, yes.

But I don't really notice numbers at all. I notice the energies, or meanings of the cards. So if I were to pull even 12 sequential numbers in my trusty 12-card spread, I wouldn't even notice - I'd just read the spread for the values that the cards have.

Grizabella

I thought you explained it quite well except that you should have gone on to draw the whole 13 cards. You draw 13 or till you get an Ace. And one Ace means "no". But that's kind of silly if you stop with the one Ace if there are going to be other meanings for having two or three. Right? So I'd have gone on to put down the full 13 cards to see how many Aces you would have gotten among the whole 13 cards.

In a way I understand but then if you stop with drawing the first Ace, you'll never know what the real answer might have been because you never got to see how many Aces were in that 13. Ditch the phrase "or till you get an Ace" and just put down 13 cards to see how many Aces are in the 13.

As for 3, 2, 1, I don't have an opinion on that other than it's interesting.

Ravensong_9

It's a three card spread in that you read only three cards. You pull until you reach 13 cards on a pile or an Ace. Then you move onto the next two piles. So basically you end up with three piles. Now if you pull three Aces, it's a definitive yes. Two is a probably but there's an obstacle. One is a probably not with two obstacles or reasons behind it and if you wind up with no Aces, then you have your obstacles in front of you.

WinterRose

Ah, right, I think I understand the spread now. So you could have 13 cards in one pile, 4 in the next because you hit an ace, and 13 in the last pile? And you would read the top card from each pile?

Ravensong_9

Yes, that's the idea. I use this spread quite a bit.

WinterRose

Ooh, I like the idea of that. I'll have to give it a try.

Rob

That's an interesting spread, though I would hesitate to assign any particular significance to a "straight." I generally join nisaba in suggesting that the card values are more important than the pattern of numbers, and it's not particularly unlikely that you'll get three cards in a row like that. From what I know about tarot occultism, even, there's no real significance to be derived from three consecutively-numbered minors in a spread, particularly if they're from different suits.

If they were the SAME suit, you could make a generalization that new energies related to your question are emerging and developing. This might imply that you can continue the process to its conclusion, or stop it in its tracks, for better or worse. It's a rather vague idea, but may still be useful. :)

Tresha

If they were the same suit and in chronological order (ascending or descending), I might read it as a direction (moving forward or backing up), but it would depend on the question, the spread, the rest of the reading, etc.