Toth/mirror of the soul

Charlotte

I was just wondering. I had the Mirror of the soul tarot deck and book once and i gave it away (which i still regret). But now I bought the Toth tarot deck. And I've been looking at them and i think I rembember that the Mirror deck was different...? Am I wrong? But since it's a long time since I gave them away I can't really remember, but I think some of the art work was different and The Mirror deck had three Magus cards...? So what I'm askin you guys is, What is the difference between these two decks?

Hope you can help.

Blessings.

Cerulean

Small opinion

The three magus were simply the approved one for the deck and two design drafts that didn't make the final cut. The bonus of the two designs was that print run allowed for two blank cards or two designs.

I believe AG Mueller published this set and all their editions that I know of had the nice crisp images and gray borders. For awhile, I remember being advised to buy the Thoth deck that came in the blue box, as it had the best printing colors. This changed somewhere in 2001, I think--the lavendar and green box versions from U.S. Games is printed in Europe and I think the only difference is size, now.

Previous versions of the Thoth deck, I think prior to 2001, sometimes had green borders or lighter, less pristine colors, depending on the publisher run.

To me, the addition of the two designs that didn't make the final cut was just one of those freebies that I didn't use. It made the deck a little different, that's all. Since I seem to remember that Mirror of the Soul had a printed version of the magus that made the final cut, I used that one.

Maybe someone else has a different take.

Mari H.

Centaur

I got the AG Muller box set containing the book and the deck. And I think that the only time the artwork has been different has been in the shade of the cards: if you search on these boards you will find reference to a 'green' version of the Thoth.

Luckily (or non-luckily depending on your perspective!), I managed to find myself a non-green copy. I only got the one Magus card though. Damn it!

C

Charlotte

hi

Thanx for telling.
The deck I had came in a purple (plastic) box with the star (card) pictured on the front. I've been looking at the Thot all day and I like them more and more. I have no idea if they will talk to me when I read with them. But I realise now that I wasn't ready for them when I bought them earlier. Have to work real hard to get a maningful relationship with these though... : )

Centaur

Hi Charlotte,

That is the same deck that I have... the one by AG Muller: it came as a box-set.

I can vouch that it is a non-green Thoth and it is not different in any way from the other Thoth images. ;)

C

Charlotte

great.

Well, guess my memory isn't that good then. Manybe it's just the sice that makes me think they were different. But it doesn' t really matter. i love them : )

kingsofsleep

The 2 extra magus cards were never meant to be used, they were versions that were rejected by AC.
My first thoth deck was a box set with "Mirror of the Soul". That book is my least favorite interpretation of the deck.