OMG! Key To The Kingdom reprint!!

6 Haunted Days

Hmmm have to do a bit of research but I do believe that transformation playing cards were all the rage in 19th century....so they've been around for quite some time!

Aerin

Thanks karen for that. 6HD, yes I think so, I gather that it was a kind of parlour game to take a standard deck and then have guests transform it? So I would think that's where the definitions come from...

For some history....

Here's a wiki link I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_playing_card

And this site is good (not just for transformation decks)

http://www.wopc.co.uk/transformation/index.html

R Somerville also has such decks listed separately if you search on transformation decks, there is a Marine Council one which looks nice. I also found a Friends of the Earth deck (which is beautiful, got it today: 54 artists including Quentin Blake and Raymond Briggs, really pleased).

An Aeclectic deck would be fun, don't you think? Perhaps somewhat aligned with traditional playing card meanings... or just *NOT* and how the fancy takes you.

I like the KttK deck best still I think: it's the verses that add so much.

Aerin

karen0205

I have to thank Ilithiya, I wouldn't have even known about these cards if you haven't had started this thread. They are soo nice! I love the artwork, sort of dark sort of funky, I can't wait to get them!

6 Haunted Days

I'm not sure she even comes to AT anymore!

Aerin

karen0205 said:
I have to thank Ilithiya, I wouldn't have even known about these cards if you haven't had started this thread. They are soo nice! I love the artwork, sort of dark sort of funky, I can't wait to get them!

I second that, I've had some fun tracking down KttK and other decks even I have spent some money I probably shouldn't have.... e.g. won a 'best offer' Karl Gerich Circus deck which I wasn't expecting to (thought I was being a bit cheeky and cheapskate), ordered the Four Seasons, got hold of a 2000 Pips, got hold of a mint 'Art for the Earth' which is currently best deck...

But then I paid less for each deck than I would have spent on the same number of Tarot decks. A lot less in most cases especially for OOP decks and even for new decks.

Aerin

karen0205

the Teddy Bear Playing Cards sold for $35. Not too bad I don't think, I didn't bid because I have a Bohemian Gothic Silver coming instead. I wanted to get that first.

karen

Aerin

Bernice said:
Sure I saw a post where someone wanted just the Key to the Kingdom book.
Found one here, £10.

http://www.intercol.co.uk/acatalog/Playing_Cards__.html

Bee

It was me, but I now have two (long story...).

They were c. £5.00 each and one is for sale.

These people, I got the Circus deck from but on ebay for considerably less than they are selling the deck for on the shop (and they are selling it cheaply in their shop compared to some I have seen). So it is well worth looking out on ebay.

Aerin

Bernice

Ebay:

Hi Aerin,

I usually avoid ebay like the plague. Had a bad experience with it, and heard a number of gross stories...

However, a local friend swears by it! Guess it's only 'bad luck' for me.

Bee.

Ann Yu

I feel shivered when I look into cards like this :-s. They look so "ghost". They are beautiful but I'm afraid that I daren't use them