The high priestess

chongjasmine

I like this card. I find it mysterious and well designed.
It is my favorite card in the deck.
Yet, I wonder what the black and white pillar sends for.

Abrac

Here's a diagram I made that illustrates some ideas I've been playing with. The HP's path is traditionally on the central pillar between Tiphareth and Kether. In one of Waite's papers, he identifies her as the "keeper of the portal of Daath." :)

High Priestess

Zephyros

Thanks Abrac, my own ideas go along the same lines. In fact, with the Moon at her feet, a case could be made that she represents the entire Middle Pillar, the upward, direct, "ideal" path of initiation.

ravenest

Have you noticed that some depictions of Mary Christ (sorry, I dont know her surname), especially 'Stella Maris' and 'the Coronation' have the Moon at her feet.* Something to do with navigation and safe passage ?

Perhaps she is also 'Saturn' , as in Mater Coeli ? The 'Gateway' , 'Queen of Heaven' , The Black Virgin ** , Nuit ?

* actually, on further examination, this appears only on what looks like more modern renditions - a post RW Tarot accretion ? (Interesting question for the history section ! )

** as in the Icon of Madonna Advocata, Basilica di Santa Maria (sorry, cant post a link to a picture)

ravenest

With the set up in Crowley's Gnostic Mass, the priestess sitting on the altar, her body, and the background of altar and super-altar reflect a similar pattern - the ToL can be superimposed on it lining up various 'energy centres' in her body and the altar components with the ToL - which makes sense since both the altar and the Priestess are 'conduits' for a descent of 'Solar energy' into the Eucharist and then the Priest and Congregation.

Abrac

Nice pic Sam, thanks.

Frater Benedict

Have you noticed that some depictions of Mary Christ (sorry, I dont know her surname), especially 'Stella Maris' and 'the Coronation' have the Moon at her feet.* Something to do with navigation and safe passage ?

Perhaps she is also 'Saturn' , as in Mater Coeli ? The 'Gateway' , 'Queen of Heaven' , The Black Virgin ** , Nuit ?

* actually, on further examination, this appears only on what looks like more modern renditions - a post RW Tarot accretion ? (Interesting question for the history section ! )

** as in the Icon of Madonna Advocata, Basilica di Santa Maria (sorry, cant post a link to a picture)

The conventional use of a moon, a sun and twelve stars when depicting Virgin Mary (or Mother of God, or whatever anyone prefer to call her) is taken from Revelations chapter 12.

The festival connected to this is called 'The Assumption of Mary', at least among Roman Catholics and Old Catholics. Eastern Orthodox Christians prefer to call the festival 'The Dormition', and Anglicans generally just call the festival 'The Blessed Virgin Mary', but whatever the different denominations call it, the festival occurs 15th of August.

ravenest

Yes, for the 'assumption' symbolism and the related 'coronation' Rev. 12 seems the source.

But in Stella Maris I noticed the Moon under her feet appears only in modern renditions. The classic pics of her (which dont go back as far as the assumption and coronation ones, I think, Stella Maris being a latter form ? ) dont show the moon at her feet.

(sorry, I cant post picture links)