Your Very First Time .......

Wendywu

Which deck was your first? And what was it about that deck that drew you further into tarot?

Mine was the RWS, and I didn't exactly love it but studied it nonetheless. I appreciate it now, and think it was an ideal learning deck. Indeed, I bought the Pixie lenormand because of its RWS imagery - feeling that if I could learn tarot with that art, maybe I could learn lenormand with it too :)

Flaxen

My first deck was the RWS given to me as a gift when I was 15. I didn't like it, hated some of those swords and pentacles. :) I took it out every now and then, determined to do something with it but it kept going back in the box. At the time I was rebelling against my Catholic upbringing and the devil card was an image I just wanted to reject outright.

A few years later, I stumbled across the Ancestral Path in a bookshop. That was my first true deck that I used and loved. It was one I was happy to get out in front of other people and read for them with. For many years I just had 4 decks, the RWS, Ancestral Path, Thoth and Waking the Wild Spirit.

It's only in the last couple of years that I've added to my collection. I like to see different takes on the old RWS imagery and explore how different decks read.

zan_chan

Great thread idea, Wendy :thumbsup:

My first deck was also a standard yellow-box RWS and to be perfectly frank, it wasn't the deck itself that drew me into tarot so much. I was definitely intrigued by its odd, mysterious images (especially that black-backgrounded Tower), but it was my initial Googling that got me going. Literally minutes after opening it, I took to the internet to see what I could learn, and before I knew it, I was here at this forum, discovering that there was a whole world out there that I hadn't realized existed. Hours later, I was hooked, realizing how many amazingly knowledgable and friendly people there are out there with such a passion for tarot, and such a great willingness to share that passion with others.

Fast-forward a year and some, and here I am, semi-collector, enthusiast, and moderator myself!

My whole tarot experience I owe to this amazing place :)

My second deck, however, Morgan Greer, was what really started drawing me in... (Not to mention my third deck, the Haindl, but don't get me started on that again :laugh: )

ATrickyBusiness

The Hermetic Tarot, because I was cheap, was looking for something other than the usual RWS artwork, which I kind of regretted later (it wasn't like I didn't have the internet back then, I should have googled around for deck comparisons). But at least I did get around to predicting something major, albeit for shallow reasons awhile back.

Eco74

Not counting the flimsy 'came with a magazine A5-size majors only' cards or the 'came with a magazine tiny collectors cards majors only with pictures of the popular actors at the time' cards, my first deck was the Swedish Witch (Jolanda).

It came as a deck/book-set and I wanted something more than just a deck to get me started. The artwork resonated with me aswell so after having looked at some of the cards I went for it.
As a bonus, the book contained a lot of other things besides tarot and went into enough detail to make me really think about the cards rather than 'learn' them, and I'm glad this is where I decided to start.

Since then - I've gathered quite a collection of decks and books and other assorted bits and pieces...

nisaba

Wendywu said:
Which deck was your first? And what was it about that deck that drew you further into tarot?
Mine was the miniature RWS. As a child some time in the late sixties or early 1970s, the daughter of friends of my parents did a "reading" for me with this mini-deck, looking up each card in the LWB and reading off the meanings. I don't remember much about it at all, except scepticism that she knew what she was doing, and a vague interest that I put aside. A few years later in my middle teens, I bought a copy of the very same mini-deck. I can't remember where I got it - it would have been shop-front - but I can very clearly remember there was a choice between the full-size and the mini, and no other decks. For some time, I assumed that there were no other Tarot decks. I bought Alfred Douglas' book at the same stage in my life, and was enthralled by the smooth, flowing, black-and-white line-drawings of his own cards in the book, and wished with a visceral longing that there was such a thing as a deck that looked like that instead of what all Tarot decks *did* look at! <laughter>.

Nina*

My first was the Thoth. That's more than 13 years ago now.

I was at a health fair in Copenhagen and on my way home when suddenly I had that feeling ''I gotta go back in and buy that tarot thingy''.

In the evening I got the cards out, read some of the book (Gerd Ziegler's), pulled a couple of cards... and from that evening on I was completely sold and there probably hasn't been one day since then where I haven't in some way handled a deck.

firefrost

I can't really claim my first deck to be my own, it was my sister who bought the RWS when she was in her early teens. I was intruiged watching her lay out the cards to look at her future. Some time later, I asked if I could do the same and the rest is history. We shared that deck for a few years until I bought my own copy.

jcwirish

My very first deck was the Albano Waite. I had been interested in tarot cards for ages. I went to this cool shop downtown and looked through several decks before choosing the Albano Waite. I remember being drawn to the bright colors. I also remember I hated the backs of the cards.

I bought a basic tarot book and started doing readings using the book meanings. This was about 11 or 12 years ago. I later bought the Thoth, but still had no real idea how the cards worked. I ended up putting the cards and books away for a few years, even though I would still buy decks, I didn't actually use them.

It was a search for a new deck that found me here, and then everything changed for me.

Le Fanu

First first was a Cagliostro given to me by a friend (whose mum had found it and made him get rid of it). This must have been late 1982 when I was 13. It came to me without a LWB so I was a bit lost. I decided to go to the local bookshop and buy one of the decks I was sure I had seen there. I chose (no internet, no scans back in those days, just shrinkwrapped decks in very few shops) the Grimaud Grand Etteilla whose LWB - surprise, surprise - didn't match up with my Cagliostro. So I consulted books but my books didn't match up with my Etteilla :(

So I gave up on both of them and bought the Fournier Spanish Tarot but saw that my best friend's mum had the 1JJ Swiss and that was the one I wanted.

So I bought the 1JJ Swiss and that's when it really started. That's the one I feel to be the first proper deck I read with!

A few years later, my friend found the Cagliostro LWB and gave it to me. So I then had the satisfaction of knowing it was complete.

I still have them all.