Princess as the Throne for the Ace

wizzle

Posted this question in the RWS board, but maybe it's a good one for here as well....
Yes all you Golden Dawn fans out there. The princess in each suit is the throne for her ace. Yup. Right. Um, what does that mean?

If we follow DuQuette's handy layouts and charts, the Ace of each suit contains the whole suit. The Princess rules a quadrant. Fine. Good. But how does she get to be a throne? She is the lesser bride, right? So she's the personification of Earth/Malkuth for her respective suit. This is about as far as I can get with thought before my eyes cross. Help would be so welcome.

Thanks ATers

p.s. and we do know that AC didn't deviate from the GD when it came to the courts in the Thoth. So mea culpa in advance for my GD reference.. but hey...

thinbuddha

Hmmmm...... I have to think on this, but I think that part of the reasoning for this is that Malkuth is (supposedly) really the Kether in another tree of life- and that many (infinite?) trees daisey-chain on each other in a procession of tree-o-lifes.

Fulgour

wizzle said:
Yes all you Golden Dawn fans out there. The princess in each suit is the throne for her ace. Yup. Right. Um, what does that mean?
In the Book "T", it is written: "Also the Dragon (i.e. Draco, the constellation at the Northern pole of the Heavens) surroundeth the Pole Kether of the Celestial Heavens." It is further laid down that the Four Aces, (symbolized by the Princesses and Amazons), rule the Celestial Heavens from the Northern Pole of the Zodiac unto the 45th degree of Latitude North of the Ecliptic, and from the Thrones of the Four Aces which rule in Kether. Israel Regardie

:) Have Fun!

tink27

wizzle

"The princess in each suit is the throne for her ace. Yup. Right. Um, what does that mean?"

Reading Jung's Mirrors, Dreams, Reflections, this symbol reminds me of the dream he had. The phallic symbol upon the throne.

Is it that combined we have the ability to rise to the occasion to answer the call and seed this fertile moment with a new possibilities?

Perhaps too, each Princess works through instinct- the gut level response. Or perhaps untapped intuitive primal powers.

How else can we measure the quality of our life except by the way we feel about it? The Princess then is to feel to sense or intuit. The Aces acknowledge her power and search her possibilities in the two and three's etc.,

Perhaps others more experienced can elaborate this for me and everyone.

tink

Ohh just thought of something, the Ace would contain the 'history' of each suit?

ravenest

Aces, princesses, thrones?

I just posted my first introduction then found this! Exactly what I am working on. Yes, the justification seems to be that that a princess is the malkuth of the tree above, so the ace (kether) sits 'on' the princess as the treee overlaps. But I have discovered so much questionible theory in relation to Tarot attribution in this section of the Golden dawn book. For a start, the chapter is about "The Tree of Life, projected on to a sphere". Its basis is G.D. hermetic qabalah (as opposed to traditional jewish cabalah), yet it is actually a system mixing both, and its basic orientation (with 4 directions ) is to do with qabalistic bible refrences about the 4 faces of god (we seem to be getting a long way from the tarot here!) and then to top it off, it uses tarot cards as an analogy - mixed metaphors. I feel it is a bad sytem of attribution:
1) its central reference is a about The Tree of life and not the Tarot.
2) It clearly states that the 7 planetary and 3 elemental trumps are not included! (why not? because they dodnt fit in.) again it is about the Tree projecting on to a sphere and using mixed metaphores of the celestial heavens and tarot. How can one leave out 10 of the 22 MAJOR cards in a classification system?
3) its diagramas are very different from a normal celestial map, it talks about degrees from the ecliptic (not the celestial equator) which would make the devision lines snake up and down on the (standard) celestial sphere as the ecliptic does.
4) time and time again many authors (and our own logic ) tell us that court cards relate to character, human events and related episodes and energies, the Lords (and ladies) of the Major cards are celestial archons (archetypal spiritual beings and experiences). The more correct attribution of court cards should be around the terrestial globe and not the heavens. To link them as being 'beside the sephiroth' and fit them into a Tree in space on a varient model seems to be streching it a lot away from their common understanding ans usage.
5) decans (symbolsed by the minor arcana 2's -10's) are devisions of the ecliptic not devisions going from 45 degrees Sth. of ecliptic to Sth pole. [Although you can put them anywhere you want, if that's the case, is your justification, clear, simple, logical, scientific, modern, or is it convuluted, mixed, archaic and qabalistic?]
6) at a glance the maps and whole system are unbalanced and northern hemisphere biased (okay, okay, I'm a southerner, but that makes one aware of both, as nearly everything is biased towards north hemisphere, terrestraial and celestial and you have to work it 'down here')
7)the maps seem to be a throwback from the flat earth era.

Oh, I could go on and on ....

dont suppose that the Golden Dawn system is right just because it looks complex and you cant actually follow it all the way through(as Crowley said; "To be lucid is to be found out.")

Check Robert Wangs 'Qabalistic Tarot' he totally misquotes the G.D. references refereing to the 'earths magnetic poles' (which G.D. clearly and definatly does not, giving celestial co-ordinates and refereing to CELESTIAL poles), yet he has stumbled towards something

Ravenest.

alphonsine

rising to the occasion

tinks line got me thinking...

the aces representing mastery
and the princess
integrates (marries) with the energy in a corporal sense.
she has been hier to the throne of thier knowledge
(hense her reverant gaze)
shes gives homage to energies
emergences from below
and rises to continue rule above

thinbuddha

ravenest said:
2) It clearly states that the 7 planetary and 3 elemental trumps are not included! (why not? because they dodnt fit in.) again it is about the Tree projecting on to a sphere and using mixed metaphores of the celestial heavens and tarot. How can one leave out 10 of the 22 MAJOR cards in a classification system?

You lost me here.... what states the above? All the qabalistic tarot attributions I have ever seen include all Majors as paths between sephiroth. While I have heard of the idea of projecting the tree of life onto a sphere, I haven't ever seen a descent explanation of what that means- however I have seen explanations of attributing the 22 paths to a cube (6 faces + 12 edges + 3 directions/dimensions + center point for the fool = 22 Majors)

So what system are you talking about that ignores 10 Majors?

wizzle

I couldn't find this instruction in my GD material. Could you provide the exact quote and the source document? Thanks.

ravenest

where?

Its in the Goldern Dawn Book (Regardie) the Ch. is "The Tree of Life projected on to a Sphere " sorry I didnt make that clear above ? I ddidnt give p. ref. as well .... you know, they are so mixed up. But I can go home find the book quote which exact edition of the book it is and give you the section and page reference...

ravenest

tink27 Perhaps too said:
Yes! ... very good. I like that arrangement

tink27 Ohh just thought of something said:
Possibly, but maybe we could say that the Aces contain the archetype (the possible future history of all permutations - as they come first before any 'history' has been established).