"Don't make a major life decision...

Debra

Last week, while doing readings at a tarot party, I heard myself saying, "Don't make a major life decision based on a tarot reading."

I say this every time I see something serious in the cards.

For example, I saw problems with someone's business, most likely with her accountant or her business advisor. (I'm betting on the accountant.)

So we talked about it.

"Do you trust your accountant?"
"Well, actually, no."

I told her there was a warning in the cards--but please don't fire your accountant because of this reading.

I wonder, do people make major life decisions based on tarot readings? I have been inclined one way or another, but I've never done something "just because" of what I saw in the cards.

Have you had someone make a major change because of a reading you did, or have you gone a different way yourself because of what came up in your cards?

emmsma

I believe in the tarot. Whether it can show my possibilities that are likely to occur or if they open my mind to help me think honestly the situation in question.

Yes. I base decisions on my readings. I won't act contrary to my own gut feeling if a reading says something otherwise. I've more often, had readings that support or confirm my own feelings on the matter at hand.

If I didn't trust or believe, I don't know that I'd continue to read at all.

nisaba

Debra said:
Last week, while doing readings at a tarot party, I heard myself saying, "Don't make a major life decision based on a tarot reading."

I wonder, do people make major life decisions based on tarot readings? I have been inclined one way or another, but I've never done something "just because" of what I saw in the cards.
I've gone the other way, to my cost. I've made a life-decision without taking notice because the ONLY warning I had ahead of time was a Tarot warning, and I paid for ignoring that warning very dearly indeed.

Prior to starting a relationship, when I already had the target identified, I did a reading for likely outcomes of the relationship.

She had already told me she lived an an unsalubrious block of flats, with a local hard-man in one flat who was fresh out of gaol for having permanently and totally disabled someone in an assault with a weapon, and a drug dealer-cum-fence upstairs whose customers were always trying to break in to flats as they arrived and/or left.

The Seven Swords came out in the reading, in cards indicating what she brought to the relationship (there were cards for what I brought, shat she brought, and the connection between us). I immediately thought: lies, theft, dishonesty, perhaps violence.

I chose to go into the relationship anyway. My justification was: a) you shouldn't make decisions based only on Tarot, and b) the card was probably referring to the people around her.

And so it looked, in the beginning. Addiction even to legal stuff being what it is, though, after a few years there was theft from me (and my young child's piggy-bank!), violence and lies towards me from her, and even being effectively kept under house-arrest for years on end.

My deck knew. I just bloody wish I'd taken notice and run away very, very fast.

Now I *never* ignore Tarot warnings. You do so at your own risk.

Debra

Ah.

I meant to say, "only" because of a tarot reading.
Does that make a difference?

FaireMaiden

I can't read for myself at all, so, no, I don't base any decisions, major or minor, on Tarot. Whether the people I read for do so or not, I can't say. If I see something dire, I suggest following-up with an Astrology Reading, most notably Horary Astrology.

Astrology is the only thing I use, personally, to base my decisions on.

punchinella

Debra said:
Ah.

I meant to say, "only" because of a tarot reading.
I'm wondering whether it is ever possible to distinguish this. I personally might tell myself I am making a decision in response to a reading, but actually be taking into account any number of issues registered on the fly, i.e. subconsciously . . . In this sense, I think sometimes a reading serves the purpose of justifying, on a conscious level, what the unconscious or intuitive part of my brain already knows and/or plans.

How would it possible to determine whether or not a querent, oneself or other, based a decision 100% on a reading? Hypothetically the possibility of doing this exists, but I'm not sure whether or not it ever actually happens.

Sinduction

Why bother reading if you're not going to take it seriously?

Obviously, it would be stupid to fire the accountant because the tarot reader said so, but come on. If the cards point to something it would behoove me to take a deeper look, say, at the accountant and then fire him based on tangible evidence.

I would *never* make light of reading while in front of one of my sitters. This makes it harder for all readers to be taken seriously. My sitters pay me for what I see in the cards, and yes, some do make major decisions based on what I see, as do I.

While I don't give all the power to the cards, I do take them as advice from above. They don't make the decisions, we do, based on the cards, based on our gut, based on all kinds of factors. It isn't one thing or another. It is all things together.

punchinella

Sinduction said:
It isn't one thing or another. It is all things together.
Yes. Exactly.

Astraea

Beautifully stated, Sinduction.

Maxamillion

I've had several readings in the past. I can't remember an instance where I based a decision solely on a reading; usually the reading pointed toward things that were already in the works.