"Bad" deck?

Caedryn

juliasv said:
the other told me that deck wasn't "speaking" to me. (I asked if maybe it was angry for some reason and I needed to apologize, lol!)

LOL...thanks for the laugh...you have a good sense of humour!

To address your question, imo...it is the reader that needs a rest and not the deck, but, if for some reason you begin to not like that particular deck, then your interpretations of the cards in the reading would most likely be off.

~ C

sybil disobedience

I had a similar situation. My readings seemed to suddenly indicate hardships for everyone I was reading. It got so I was scared to read! Then one day a new deck literally fell off a shelf in front of me, so I purchased them. I smudged the other deck, thank it for its help and told it to regroup and rest. Seems to have worked.

Aladdin

For some time i've had the belief that the energies of a pack sometimes don't sit at all comfortably with the purchaser. After all there must be some energies left in residual form by the distributors and publishers and just possibly by a faint resonance from the original creator(s).
Without wanting to sound tedious i don't think the Thoth is something to be "played with".
After resting it and by chance it still doesn't feel comfortable or works less well with you than others, it is probably exchange or trade in time.

juliasv

The Thoth deck I purchased is wrapped and sitting on a shelf. I take it out at times to clarify a reading, but for the most part use it to look at all the pretty pictures, lol! That particular deck really makes you look and think, moreso than the RW for instance. I love the deck, but more for how absolutely gorgeous it is!!

For the most part, I use my new RW; the old one is being put in time out for a bit, lol!

kfk

Iended up buying a new RWD because I stopped being able to read with the old one.I later came to the conclusion that the old one stopped working for me because of my response to some readings I did.I was kinda of freaked out by the psychic impressions I was getting from the questioners.Now I use the old deck for times I like to have and ordered deck to learn with.

juliasv

I did the same with my first RW deck...it got a little belligerent IMO, lol..so it's grounded for a bit! Bought a new RW and a friend's mom sent me a Starter deck. Haven't used the starter much, need to "play" with a bit. The new RW is my learning deck, the Thoth is just there for the symbolism and artist work.

Gloria Jean

So maybe you just don't like the message...

When a deck is not speaking to you don't blame the deck. The deck itself is just a bunch of images. You may not be asking correctly.

If you really and truly need the answer to a question or problem in your life, and are sincere about it, then you will get better results. If you are just playing around with the cards they often will mean nothing to you.

For example: If you ask the cards "What will today be like?

That is a rather pointless question unless there is a specific issue that you are dealing with at the time. If you are just playing around and testing the cards to see if they will tell you the future or the events of the day, the cards may not mean anything to you, or you will just not "get" the message.

By the way, the day will be what you make of it, unless you believe in absolute FATE. What the day will be like is totally dependent on your point of view and attitude.

Ask meaningless and vague questions, get meaningless and vague answers.

My experience has been that I get a great reading if I am more specific and if I really have a particular issue I am asking about.

If I just want advice for the moment or the day, I draw a single card and open my Little white book (Infinite Visions Tarot.) For Example:

My card for today:
The Hermit:
Advice from my LWB:
You must first know who you are and how to help yourself before you can help others. By seeking solitude you can collect and organize your thoughts without distractions. Teaching others what you have learned is one of the best roads to self discovery.

juliasv

The main problem I've had from the "grounded" deck, is that regardless of what I asked, I got the same cards. To the point that I cleared, smudged and reshuffled the deck, got my daughter to clear and reshuffle, and STILL got the same cards. After that, I called a friend of mine who reads professionally, his response was to put that deck away for a while, it was "messing" with me. I got a different deck, some of the same cards came up, but not to the same extent....it got really weird there for a while.

Several friends of mine consider the deck to be almost a seperate entity, one that is the voice of your subconscious. These friends often state that for whatever reason, particular decks can sometimes "play games" with you, for reasons unknown. I do know, since put that deck into time out for a while, my general readings have been much clearer.

linnie

juliasv said:
The main problem I've had from the "grounded" deck, is that regardless of what I asked, I got the same cards.... it was "messing" with me. I got a different deck, some of the same cards came up...

That answers what I've been wondering... whether it was just that deck, or whether the cards still came up with the new deck.

Most decks will resonate with a person at a subconscious level, which is how we read intuitively (which includes most people, even those who defer to the LWB) and make readings relevant to the querent...

MY old RW deck was shelved years ago because it freaked me out when the same 3 'threatening' sword cards kept coming up. A friend, many years later, read for me with his RW, and, in a 7 card reading, those 3 cards were the first up!!! :!: :) .... I had to deal with residual stuff that was hanging around from ages ago. Two things have changed since then... 1) I addressed those issues so that those cards don't very often show their faces, and 2) I view their messages as gentle reminders, rather than as threats... :)

New decks are yummy... We can outgrow decks, definitely, but the usefulness of such a changeover will depend on the why of it :)
Very best wishes to you. :) :love:

Gloria Jean

juliasv said:
The main problem I've had from the "grounded" deck, is that regardless of what I asked, I got the same cards. To the point that I cleared, smudged and reshuffled the deck, got my daughter to clear and reshuffle, and STILL got the same cards. After that, I called a friend of mine who reads professionally, his response was to put that deck away for a while, it was "messing" with me. I got a different deck, some of the same cards came up, but not to the same extent....it got really weird there for a while.

Several friends of mine consider the deck to be almost a seperate entity, one that is the voice of your subconscious. These friends often state that for whatever reason, particular decks can sometimes "play games" with you, for reasons unknown. I do know, since put that deck into time out for a while, my general readings have been much clearer.

When that happens, you have to try to figure out what the cards are trying to tell you even if you don't want to hear it. Try assuming that there IS a message in those cards and find it rather than disregarding them because they are not the cards you want or expect.

When all else fails, forget what you think the cards are supposed to mean and just look at and describe the actual picture you are looking at. Sometimes the meaning is not a traditional one, but will be found in the actual picture. Look at and describe the picture as if you are describing it to someone who can't see it.

I have found meanings doing that that really made a lot of sense.