right foot hanged man

Dwaas

??? the right foot has toes in wrong direction, or am i last to notice this. any clue why anatomy is not correct?

franniee

WOW I never noticed this! How odd! Wonder what that is about.

sapienza

How interesting. When you look at it now it seems so obvious and yet I never noticed it before. I wonder if anyone has an answer?

Durant Hapke

Brothers, and Sisters,

Bring the insight, bring the study.

I've looked and smoked on this, poured a few cocktails with a bit of ice and said, "Oh, back at you, mister bartender, this dude is hanging a big inverted four..."

Yeah, 4 bright Jack birds...

You see, to me the "nail" is penetrating the foot from the bottom.

Up threw the soul, out the top and into the watery disc.

If you sit all curve like, your foot flips that way, or can, like the lotus.

You know, you can't really see toe nails...

Durant "walk on the wild side" Hapke

Rosanne

I have no answer that might be considered esoteric. I think it was a mistake of design by the artist. If you look at the image the right leg is wasted(atrophied) in comparison to the left; which may have been the intention- but everything is wrong about this right leg- the knee- the tibia- the hip- the muscles.
Then again in thinking on this DuQuette in his book says the element of 'Redemption' as in a debt that needs to be paid has no current implication- but the card means the there is a noble duty of the enlightened to bring enlightenment to the unenlightened. We are now enlightened to the correct anatomy of the right leg.......or it is a reflection on Vulcan/Hephaestos the lame son of Jupiter and Juno. Juno was so displeased with his lame body she chucked him out of Heaven.

From morn to Noon he fell,
From noon to dewy eve,
A summer's day;
And with the setting sun dropped from the Zenith, like a falling star,
On Lemnos, the Aegean Isle.
Milton.

Interesting to whom this ill favoured lame character was married...Venus, Goddess of Beauty, Love and Laughter...
Nah!, me thinks bad attention to anatomy.
~Rosanne

Aeon418

Rosanne said:
Interesting to whom this ill favoured lame character was married...Venus, Goddess of Beauty, Love and Laughter...
Actually I think this is a good observation. Crowley tells us that the disks the Hanged Man is nailed to (Vau - with all it implies) are Venusian in nature and colour.

Rosanne

Well Aeon418, I personally feel that Lady Freida actually turned the painting on its side to paint the leg, and mistakenly designed a left foot on a right leg; which is how it would look if you were taking your own leg and foot as model.

It is interesting about Vulcan- because he was the God of Fire and Forge and perhaps forged his own nails. I guess one could say he was sacrificed (Nailed) to Venus, because Jupiter gave Venus to him, to punish Venus for her Pride.
~Rosanne

Aeon418

How about calling it serendipity?

Fortuitous mistake or otherwise, I still think the Vulcan link has it's merits. The Hanged Man is, in a certain sense, the Emperor inverted - Sulphur. And that card's links with the Empress-Venus are pretty obvious.

Durant Hapke

Brothers, and sisters,

Bring it, and swing it.

I've been thinking, and smoking, and as we've all read, these cards were, as the story goes, fussed over by both LH and AC for any number of Jack bird reasons.

The story, as I've been getting my reception of it, is that Crowley kicked back designs for rework and staring over all the Jack bird time, so I for one find it a bit wild a deal that a mistake of this kind would be a mistake, in the sense it would go unnoticed (not that any here have done this, but wow, it would be a massive issue if LH just said "Oh, dear me, I've made an error... Pass me a sandwich, please."

And if said Jack bird symbolism had been important, or rather so important that a subjects limbs would be all a twisted around, I'm guessing the symbolic meaning would be documented, and a investigator of such, like kicking Lon DQ, would know all about such...

I swing with you all.

I'm feeling that it's as I described -- nail going into bottom of foot action.

That's the rocking notion in my noggin.

My friend Samantha did some posing for me when this question first appeared, and it not that odd to flip your foot around like that.

Of course a day later, said Sam got thrown in the big house for a while.

Yeah, she's in jail.

It's a long story, but it was her deal.

And she's all wanting me to design her a "prison tattoo," like now, while she's in the can.

It's not like a fresh keg of cool being in there all locked up, but It's what? Like a week she's all ponyed up in there, and Tattoos are for life.

I'm sure she'll spend her days all slurping down mad bottles of cough syrup , carving soap, and combing out sister golden hairs mustache.

Durant "I need all my legs to wonder" Hapke

Rosanne

Durant Hapke said:
.... so I for one find it a bit wild a deal that a mistake of this kind would be a mistake, in the sense it would go unnoticed (not that any here have done this, but wow, it would be a massive issue if LH just said "Oh, dear me, I've made an error... Pass me a sandwich, please."
Pass me a Lord Sandwich please... :D
I spend my time perusing cards, and mistakes are more common than esoteric answers. Not that we would ever know for sure. The mistakes (well I think they be mistakes, serendipitous or not) in the Thoth do not seem to be documented at all. Maybe I have found a new mission in life.

I swing with you all.
Better with than for.

I'm feeling that it's as I described -- nail going into bottom of foot action.
Just cannot see that as the sole of the foot- no matter how I turn my leg- all because of the ankle bones.

I imagine the Hanged Man was painted during her projective geometry period, to my eye when she painted the Magus (late 1941 maybe). Nowhere wither can I find a listing of when each card was painted in the sequence. No matter! We should not have to dissect each of the Artist's vision, except to note how her work improves as time goes by. I think her water related cards are her least talented or skillful- so I do not see a problem with a distortion- it brings up these things like Vulcan and acts as aids to memory.
~Rosanne