The Book of the Law Study Group 2.24

Grigori

Aiwass said:
24. Behold! these be grave mysteries; for there are also of my friends who be hermits. Now think not to find them in the forest or on the mountain; but in beds of purple, caressed by magnificent beasts of women with large limbs, and fire and light in their eyes, and masses of flaming hair about them; there shall ye find them. Ye shall see them at rule, at victorious armies, at all the joy; and there shall be in them a joy a million times greater than this. Beware lest any force another, King against King! Love one another with burning hearts; on the low men trample in the fierce lust of your pride, in the day of your wrath.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

Always Wondering

I have been wondering who the Hermits are. The commentaries are not too clear.
Maybe that's not the point, but it makes me curious.

AW

Aeon418

The traditional image of the hermit is someone is shuns the mundane life and retreats into solitude and isolation in order to meditate and focus on the spiritual life. (What ever that means? :laugh:) To me this verse basically says, "Not in this Aeon buddy. My Hermits live in this world and engage with it. They don't run away from it as they did in the old aeon."

Does anyone else feel a strong Netzach current in this verse? I think this is significant as this is 90th verse. (90 - Tzaddi - Emperor, and his new home leading to Netzach. ;)) In this verse there is the classic symbolism of the woman of Netzach, which some authors describe as the Amazon, the feminine image of the sephira of Fire. Just the sort of thing the traditional hermit would naturally run away from and regard as a temptation.

Victorious Armies? Yet more Netzach. The name of the sephira itself means Victory. And the god name associated with Netzach is IHVH Tzabaoth - Lord of Armies.

The subjective feeling I get is that the previous verses seem to be a warning against the nagative aspects of Netzach which would have been regarded with favour in the old aeon. But in this aeon the spiritual hermit must engage with the raw feminine power and sensuality of Netzach.

This is very much in line with the Emperor on the path of Tzaddi between Yesod (Sex force) and Netzach (Desire). King? Or slave? ;) :laugh:

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Does anyone else feel a strong Netzach current in this verse? I think this is significant as this is 90th verse. (90 - Tzaddi - Emperor, and his new home leading to Netzach. ) In this verse there is the classic symbolism of the woman of Netzach, which some authors describe as the Amazon, the feminine image of the sephira of Fire. Just the sort of thing the traditional hermit would naturally run away from and regard as a temptation.

I find this helpful. My grasp on the Sephiroth feels tenuous but I suspect you are associating the qualities of Venus. Which authors describe as the Amazon?

Aeon418 said:
The subjective feeling I get is that the previous verses seem to be a warning against the nagative aspects of Netzach which would have been regarded with favour in the old aeon. But in this aeon the spiritual hermit must engage with the raw feminine power and sensuality of Netzach.

Now see, this immediately reminded me of ATU XI Lust. And Indeed Crowley quotes this verse under Lust in The Book of Thoth. But the link between Netzach and Geburah baffles me.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I find this helpful. My grasp on the Sephiroth feels tenuous but I suspect you are associating the qualities of Venus.
Yes, Venus corresponds to Netzach. This often leads some people to see it as a predominantly soft, sweet, and lovey-dovey sephiroth. But remember that even though Netazch is a feminine sephiroth it is the sphere of elemental Fire at the base of the masculine Pillar of Force. Burning desire, flaming passions, and strong emotions are to be found here. Not the sort of stuff you would naturally associate with a hermit. :laugh: But the current verse forms part of Hadit's description of himself as Kundalini. And a bit of passion to fuel the libido is a very effective way of waking the sleeping Fire Serpent. ;)
Always Wondering said:
Which authors describe as the Amazon?
Off the top of my head, Dion Fortune. Probably somewhere in the Mystical Qabalah. But I could be wrong. It might also be in Garreth Knights qabalah book.
Always Wondering said:
But the link between Netzach and Geburah baffles me.
Where did I mention Geburah?

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Where did I mention Geburah?

No, no. You didn't mention Geburah. Crowley did. He has confused me. Again. :|

Why is this verse, II:24 mentioned under Lust on page 92 in BOT?

Aeon418 said:
Off the top of my head, Dion Fortune. Probably somewhere in the Mystical Qabalah. But I could be wrong. It might also be in Garreth Knights qabalah book.

It just sounded intresting, but I've read Mystical Qabalah.
I suppose part of my problem is too much information. I think I just need to study Crowley's version of the tree because the switches still throw me.

AW

thorhammer

I'm trying not to fixate on the word "hermit" in this verse :D It's hard . . . but my process led me directly to XI Lust as well, AW. I'll try to put it down here :confused:

The description of the women (in the verse) is very reminiscent of BABALON. The mention of lust in the last bit reinforces this, and suggests a link to Atu XI, whose path is from Geburah to Chesed ;).

The values of the Hebrew letters attributed to the two Atu implied are 9 (Teth - Lust) and 10 (Yod - Hermit) = 19 = The Sun. The trump numbers 11 and 9 give a difference of 2, The High Priestess, whose path crosses that of Lust on the Tree. Crowley highlights this fact as being of importance in the Book of Thoth, too, saying something about BABALON/Lust being an aspect of the Moon, fully illuminated by the Sun. All these Sun references implicate Tiphareth, at which juncture I would like to point out my favourite verse from the Ape of Thoth/Book of the In-Laws, that Grigori posted recently (emphasis mine):
Ape of Thoth said:
But ye, o my people, rise up and-Shut up, o deacon; I am not there yet. This is just one of many Grave Mysteries I plan to hint about without ever actually telling you anything. For example, it is said, or so some say, that there are those of my people who are hermits. Now, think not to find them milking goats in the West County of Ireland, or even standing in wheatfields holding cubist lanterns along the TipharethChesed Freeway, but at cocktail parties, and in the Tokyo subway system. How is it, you ask, that such people are deemed Hermits? Chalk up another Grave Mystery. Remember: Kill the wretched, and the weak, the struggling masses yearning to be free! Burn their homes, plow their fields with salt, enslave them, oppress them-oh my, I'm sorry, I seem to have gotten carried away again. I really will try to keep a lid on it from now on. Promise.

I don't know . . . I can't quite come at this from the right angle. There's something in my head that won't come out about male and female switching roles, there are serpents entwining, gold and silver and red and black and I just don't know whose is whose any more. Sorry, rambling. But it's meaningful to me. I just don't know what it means :(

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

Thank-you Kat, I will read it again tomorrow. I just tried doing payroll and realized I was having one of THOSE days. :rolleyes:

AW

ravenest

thorhammer said:
I don't know . . . I can't quite come at this from the right angle.

No, its rather obtruse .... sorry, couldnt resist that one, but aside from the bad joke ....
thorhammer said:
There's something in my head that won't come out about male and female switching roles, there are serpents entwining, gold and silver and red and black and I just don't know whose is whose any more.

I feel that it isnt a case of whose is whose but a case of which is more appropriate for each in specific circumstances
thorhammer said:
Sorry, rambling. But it's meaningful to me. I just don't know what it means :(

Errrrm, not sure how to word this here but I'll try. If you are in a certain situation where you feel a very specific 'energy flow' 'one way' hold the energy and try gently reversing the flow back the other way (remembering that it basically a ciculatory energy). I have been told that, from the female perspective men often have trouble with this (and do not respond to the 'reversed' energy flow) while women, being quiet sensative, can detect and respond accordingly with a greater ease.

Since that might have confused you more; perhaps examine the difference between DC and AC electricity?

ravenest

GRAVE mysteries?