The Book of the Law Study Group 2.26

ravenest

Aside from the obvious 'tantric' symbolism I always somehow related this line to an Australian Aborignal story where Wallenganda - the sky serpent, in the night sky, the 'Milky Way' dropped her head and spat water or venom down to the earth, onto Ungud the earth serpent. Ungud took it into the earth and began to dream, and 'earthly creation' came out from his 'dream time'.

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Aside from the obvious 'tantric' symbolism I always somehow related this line to an Australian Aborignal story where Wallenganda - the sky serpent, in the night sky, the 'Milky Way' dropped her head and spat water or venom down to the earth, onto Ungud the earth serpent. Ungud took it into the earth and began to dream, and 'earthly creation' came out from his 'dream time'.
That is, as you tell it, very similar to the verse. From which tribe or cultural grouping is that? Is it somewhat universal across Aboriginal groups in Aust? I've noticed that their regionalisation is very marked and hence the groups over here might have a different story, as might the local groups where Grigori is and so forth.

I know you're well informed on Aus. Aboriginal mythology/cosmology - could you elaborate a little on the *definition* of "dreamtime" or "dreaming"? I take it that it means something different to what we mean when we speak of dreaming, i.e. at night.

There is a sense in this verse, too, of, if not exactly sacrifice, then certainly offering, or an exchange. Of surrender of a part of oneself in order for unity with greatness.

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

thorhammer said:
There is a sense in this verse, too, of, if not exactly sacrifice, then certainly offering, or an exchange. Of surrender of a part of oneself in order for unity with greatness.

\m/ Kat

I am without my books and limited computer access so this will be hit and miss, but I think the word here is choice as in Chapter 1 verse 57.

There is the dove, and there is the serpent. Choose ye well! He, my prophet, hath chosen, knowing the law of the fortress, and the great mystery of the House of God.

If I may bring it up again and not seem obsessed. :laugh:

AW

Grigori

I've been listening to a podcast the last couple days on some gnostic thoughts on the old testament, and this line reminds me of some of the ideas, without the moral overtones.

The speaker was discussing the idea of kundalini energy, the upward flowing serpent, that was diverted when Adam and Even ate the forbidden fruit (i.e. fornicated) and became a sexually reproducing species like the beasts. The idea was that the celebate man is directing his energy upwards towards heaven, and the sexually active one is shooting his venom into the earth (malkuth or qlippoth/hell dependings on which part of the speech we listen to).

This line seems similar, suggesting we can send our energy upward toward the divine (Nuit) or downwards towards more earthly things, but it doesn't have the element of a moral judgement on the decision. I guess I am seeing the same choice that AW has pointed out. Serpent or dove?

I also really like this line from an artistic perspective. Its the first one from the second chapter that I find as poetically beautiful as some of the lines from the first chapter.

Aeon418

One pointed!

Grigori said:
The speaker was discussing the idea of kundalini energy,
And this verse practically screams kundalini. The coiled serpent lifting up it's head to the Sahasrara chakra, or discharging to earth through sexual release. But notice that there is no moral angle present. We are merely presented with two choices.
Grigori said:
The idea was that the celebate man is directing his energy upwards towards heaven, and the sexually active one is shooting his venom into the earth (malkuth or qlippoth/hell dependings on which part of the speech we listen to).
Not necessarily. The celebate may be able to store energy, but directing it is a different matter altogether. If it's not directed or released then it will find expression through a different channel. It's not surprising there have been so many scandels involving Catholic priests. If Satan be devided against Satan how shall his kingdom stand? ;)

Try reading the chapter on Chastity in Little Essays Towards Truth. Crowley isn't talking about sexual abstinence here.
http://hermetic.com/crowley/little-essays-towards-truth/chastity.html

The words "Secret Serpent" are joined in the original manuscript. The initials S.S. have the value of 120, the same as the Hebrew letter Samekh. (The Art card)

In Hebrew the words Secret Serpent would be SUD NChSh. This immediately makes me think of the paths of Ayin and Nun.
SUD = 70 = Ayin - The Devil
NChSh = Serpent = Death
The two are harnessed together in the Art card on the path of Samekh (ON =
70+50=120) How far can you pull the bow string by storing sexual energy (Death), and when it's released where are you shooting that Arrow. For that you need to focus your Ayin/Eye. Chastity. ;)

Always Wondering

Chasity said:
Chastity may thus be defined as the strict observance of the Magical Oath; that is, in the Light of the Law of Thelema, absolute and perfected devotion to the Holy Guardian Angel and exclusive pursuit of the Way of the True Will.

Then, as Kat mentioned, is there not some kind of exchange or offering? This idea of choice messes with me. In my mind, choosing one means not choosing the other.

Aeon418 said:
And this verse practically screams kundalini. The coiled serpent lifting up it's head to the Sahasrara chakra, or discharging to earth through sexual release. But notice that there is no moral angle present. We are merely presented with two choices.

I don't understand enough about kundalini to figure out if there is a non-moral implication, with two choices. Is there?

In a very gross way I can see, if I project myself on a human I will see the human part of me. If I project myself on the divine I will see the divine part of me.
The closest I can get is there is a risk of getting caught up in human and forgetting the divine.

But Crowley also seems to point out that not denying the human side is also important.

"Beware of abstinence from action!" is it not written in Our lection? For the nature of the Universe being Creative Energy, aught else blasphemes the Goddess, and seeks to introduce the elements of a real death within the pulses of Life.

It seems a delicate balance.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I don't understand enough about kundalini to figure out if there is a non-moral implication, with two choices. Is there?
If you're a bit hazy on the relationship between sexual energy and Kundalini you might like to take a look at Sexual Energy and Yoga by Elizabeth Haich.
http://www.amazon.com/Sexual-Energy...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264284686&sr=1-1-spell

A word of warning. Haich is very good when she's talking about Kundalini, but you have to switch off when she starts moralising. :rolleyes:
If it really gets on your nerves just think of the theme tune from the tv series, Diff'rent Strokes. It works for me. :laugh:

Aeon418

Grigori said:
This line seems similar, suggesting we can send our energy upward toward the divine (Nuit) or downwards towards more earthly things, but it doesn't have the element of a moral judgement on the decision. I guess I am seeing the same choice that AW has pointed out. Serpent or dove?
Choice! Up or down? But are you in a position to make that choice? ;)
When the Horny Devil }) rears his head the natural instinct is to seek discharge and earth out the energy.

Magical practices stimulate and generate this energy. But it's all for nothing if there's a hole in your bucket. :laugh:

Aeon418

The Neophyte works out of Malkuth and aspires towards Yesod. The awakening of the astral senses are usually accompanied by what you might call a second adolescence. :laugh: This is the ordeal of the Nephesh.

As soon as you try to ascend the Tree the unbalanced aspects of yourself will hold you back. These are the Qliphoth. I'll leave you to discover the qliphoth of Malkuth in column VIII of 777.