The Book of the Law Study Group 2.29

thorhammer

I scratched at my screen until I could ascertain that the accent really is there . . . it's not in the Sacred Texts link. What the?

Does that accent mean to pronounce that syllable? That makes ten syllables for the verse, which would otherwise be nine.

I like the alliteration, too - be-cause . . . be-accursed . . .

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

I think that is called a grave accent and I think you are right. I don't know why Scared Texts wouldn't have it. I checked the written manuscript in Book Four and it appears there.

Maybe I am just slow catching on but I am struck my the recuring theme of meditation in this chapter. Jim Eschelman suggests the kin of Because is any intrusive thought. He also suggests a removed approach when dealing with these curses.

I do not think the attitude of “cursing” the “accurséd Because” has been rightly understood. It is purely a technical process. A thing may be censured, bounced, or cast out, the way a lout can be expelled from a fine restaurant, efficiently and dispassionately; and, if done well, it will not disturb too much of the dining experience of the other patrons. A curse is a scourge used in strength, not a shield of avoidance or the buckshot of a scatter gun. Nor must we empower its demonic hold by getting all in a fuss and generating all sorts of projections.

Wish I read this a couple of years ago when I was all in a fuss. The buckshot with a scatter gun really rings a bell for me. :laugh:

AW

thorhammer

That quote is almost entirely over my head, but the bit about the scourge used in strength rings my bells. I suppose he's saying to take an active, offensive stance on distractions caused by the rationalising mind, instead of a defensive stance.

\m/ Kat