Book recommendations on alchemy (for Thoth)

teomat

Not sure if this should be in the books forum (mods please move if need be)...

Can anyone recommend any introductory books on alchemy, that would be particularly useful for studying the Thoth?

I'm wary about just picking a random one after learning from Scion that modern and classical astrology are somewhat different. I'm not sure if the same applies to alchemy, but I'm hoping to get a good book that is relevant to the deck, but is still comprehensible to a newbie.

Αρσιησισ

There is plenty in The Book of Thoth concerning the Alchemical implications of the Atu ...pay special attention to the descriptions of Atu I, II, III, IV (these relate to the Alchemical Elements), VI, XI, XIV (these refer to the Alchemical Wedding) VII, X, XI, XIII, XV (these refer to the Vas Hermeticum & the instruments of the Art), & also X & XVI after another manner. Magick In Theory & Practice is very informing as well ...see Ch. II, III, VII, XII, & XX.

There is some valuable information mottled throughout Liber Aleph too.

Professor X

Thanks for this. I had been wanting to learn more about alchemy as well.
I can see that the Book of Thoth is something that you must constantly study and refer too. I am reading through it for the first time now.

teomat

Thanks 729. There does seem to be a fair bit about it in the BoT and I've read through DuQuette's book on the Thoth. But I was wondering if there's something more introductory available - just to learn the background, history and theory behind the subject. I'm assuming that the alchemy described in the Thoth is not about creating the Philosopher's stone or Elixir of Life, but more about 'human alchemy'. Or am I wrong? If it is this, is there anything I should be reading up on as a primer?

I'll have a look at Magick in Theory and Liber Aleph as well, so thanks for those recommendations. :)

teomat

Professor X said:
Thanks for this. I had been wanting to learn more about alchemy as well.
I can see that the Book of Thoth is something that you must constantly study and refer too. I am reading through it for the first time now.
I'm attempting to read it for a second time now (the first time went completely over my head). Well technically I'm actually re-reading the introductory bit - I never got further than the Fool the first time! :D

Surprisingly though it has become more coherent a second time (though DuQuette probably helped with this). I also get the impression that no word was wasted in this book. Every sentence seems to have a nugget of info to get you thinking or researching something else.

Aeon418

teomat said:
I'm assuming that the alchemy described in the Thoth is not about creating the Philosopher's stone or Elixir of Life, but more about 'human alchemy'. Or am I wrong?
It most certainly is about the finding of the Philosophers Stone and the creation of the Elixir of Life, just not in the literal sense. The old alchemical terms still apply, but in a different way.

A book you might find helpful is, Esoteric Keys of Alchemy by Paul Foster Case. This book explains alchemy in pretty much the same sense that Crowley uses it in the Book of Thoth. There are a few minor differences due to Case using the old Golden Dawn tarot attributions. But these are minor details that don't get in the way of the big picture.

LotusSong

I'm using The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy as a general introduction right now, and I am finding it to be quite useful! In fact, the reason I picked it up in the first place was because I saw it recommend by a user of this forum.

teomat

Thanks for the suggestions Aeon418 and LotusSong - I will look them up. The Idiot's Guide is probably the most apt for me :D.