Thoth Through A Klaiedescope Lens

Aeon418

Abrac said:
This idea of "pioneers putting things right" is distinctly contrary to the popular idea that the new aeon is simply the result of a natural evolution, of which Aiwass was only a messanger.
No it's not. See the 5 of Wands for an example of evolution in action.

Abrac

Always Wondering, I agree it's good to have examples to follow, and if their example leads to a happier healthier life then right on. But if you look closely at what Crowley says, it's apparent that he's under the assumption that everyone who chooses to hold onto some of the "old aeon" moral values is borderline "insane." He's saying that the old values cannot be reconciled with advances in understanding and should be jettisoned if one is to find "sanity." I would argue that that's ridiculous and that some moral values never go out of date. To top it all off, he plainly says it's the responsibility of a few "pioneers" to see to it that people's moral values get a healthy updating.

Maskelyne

Abrac, I don't know the man at all well, but I think Uncle Al may have been in reaction against a rather aggressively proper background, and sometimes you just have to make allowances. In any case, he warned us not to take anything too literally.

But I agree that any actual chastisement of the savages would be difficult to reconcile with the man's apparent principals.

Debra

Bernice said:
Later:

Although I am preferring to look at the artwork of these cards to see what it may convey to me, I decided to look in The Book of Thoth to see what it says about the green hill with the 'whatever' encirling the top of it.

Surprise.
In heraldic language the card image represents "the Sun, charged with a rose, on a mount vert". This being the Coat of Arms of the family of A.Crowley.

http://www.myfamilysilver.com/crestFinder/crestDetails.aspx?id=142684&searchName=Crowley

However, I also came across this explanation for the 'family' Coat of Arms.
http://genealogy.about.com/od/heraldry/qt/coats_of_arms.htm

Bee :)

Apparently this really is the family coat of arms. Look here, from the 1700's: http://books.google.com/books?id=pc...y On A Mount Vert, A Sun In Splendour&f=false

Boy that's long. Here it is tiny: http://tiny.cc/a10yq

There are other families with the same or similarly-described crests.

Maskelyne

Debra,

great find. Brava!

Debra

Thanks. I'm pretty GOOd with GOOgle. :laugh:

Here's another thing.
Abrac (hi Abrac!) says,

The wall represents a dividing line between the "pioneers of the new aeon" as Crowley puts it, and the rest of mankind below, who dance blissfully in the "light" that pours down from above.

This according to the book. But it doesn't make sense. First of all, there doesn't appear to be anyone on the other side of the wall, unless they're really really tiny. And "the rest of mankind below" dancing blissfully have wings. They're not any of the rest of us that I know.

So I conclude that he wanted his family crest in the picture out of ego, and what he writes about the card is bs.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
The wall represents a dividing line between the "pioneers of the new aeon" as Crowley puts it, and the rest of mankind below, who dance blissfully in the "light" that pours down from above. It's akin to the "abyss" on the Tree of Life and is there to prevent the "unworthy" from entering.
As Crowley puts it? Where exactly did he say that, Abrac?

Abrac

Hi Debra,

Indeed it could all be bs! :laugh:

I concede there aren't any people illustrated above the wall. It's just my theory of what the symbolism represents based on what I know about Crowley, i.e., the strong influence of Qabala on him and the hierarchical nature of the Crowleyan system. There's also this comment:

"The green mound represents the fertile earth, its shape, so to speak, aspiring to the heavens. But around the top of the mound is a wall, which indicates that the aspiration of the new Aeon does not mean the absence of control."

(Love is the law, love under will.) "Control" can indicate a couple of things. It could indicate those above the wall who represent the "will" that governs the "love" (complete freedom) below. Or it could indicate that though many may aspire to the "heavens," only a chosen few are permitted to enter, the wall symbolizing the control mechanism which accomplishes this.

The wings on the children are symbolic. In the description, Crowley mentions that the children represent "complete freedom." The wings symbolize this.

Aeon418

Heru-Ra-Ha

Here's one interpretation of this card.
http://www.pantheon.org/areas/gallery/mythology/africa/egyptian/isis-horus.html

Then again the mound may be a Solar-Phallic benben stone aspiring to the heavens (Yoni). Which is it? It's both at the same time.

The symbol of Sol is a feminine circle with a masculine point at the centre. The solar hexagram is the union of the feminine water triangle with the masculine fire triangle. The solar Rose Cross is the Yoni-Rose nailed to the phallic cross.

Capricorn at the top of the card?
Liber 418

Blessed are they who have turned the Eye of Hoor unto the zenith, for they shall be filled with the vigour of the goat.
The Children each make the shape of the letter Ayin. (140 = MLKIM - Kings)
Their arms form 3 V's - Vau, Vau, Vau - 666, Sol.

Cancer at the bottom is the Great Work (418 - Cheth - Cancer) accomplished on earth.

Rosanne

If one knows anything about heraldic vexillology and blazons.......
This card has Blazon.. The Sun... which describes the Heraldic device used.
the Sun- charged with a rose (in the center of the Sun)- on a mont vert.
Very specific.
It also has the mont vert charged with a band crown (i.e the iron band of Lombardy would be an example)
So visually if you know there is a family crest- there it is.
Add fairies for disguise.