Is it a 'Male Tarot'?

Morwenna

Hurray for Lillie! :D

I don't have the Thoth; it never interested me. But I agree with almost everything people have said on this thread. Personally I don't think any deck is particularly masculine, at least none I've worked with; and as for Crowley, well, I can paraphrase an author who spoke about art in general: whatever the person who created the work is or was like in everyday life, the art should be regarded as proceeding from an uncorrupted part of himself. The two are not necessarily identical, or even compatible (of course they may be, but that's a different issue).

FYI, I'm the family map-trip-plotter. And my husband asks for directions. ;)

gregory

Good point. Mozart was NOT a nice person and nor was Beethoven.... to name just two that instantly spring to mind :)

As for some poets I could mention.....

Morwenna

And Dickens, one of my 3 favorite authors, could be a right b****rd at times; for example, witness the way he treated his wife when he wanted his freedom. He was a tough father too, and could be a rather cruel joker.

As for the Thoth, I guess I'll just have to look at the pictures more often. Maybe someday it'll speak to me. I've long ago come to realize that I don't have to think about Crowley when contemplating the deck. But the imagery just hasn't grabbed me yet. And if it's true that it represents a different way of reading the cards, I don't know if I'm up for a different way, whose-ever it is. I'm sure it's a reason I haven't really delved into TdM methods either.

sapienza

Morwenna said:
whatever the person who created the work is or was like in everyday life, the art should be regarded as proceeding from an uncorrupted part of himself. The two are not necessarily identical, or even compatible (of course they may be, but that's a different issue).
I like this. :)

Freddie

gregory said:
Good point. Mozart was NOT a nice person and nor was Beethoven.... to name just two that instantly spring to mind :)

As for some poets I could mention.....

and rockstars..good post Gregory!

Freddie

nicky

AnneLien said:
I was wondering: is the Toth tarot a male - tarot?
I mean, is it a deck that most men use, or are there women who use it too?

I'm a bit 'afraid' to buy it, i've read negative comments on the deck: his dislike of females and so on. That's why I ask this question.

Let us let AC speak about his attitude towards women:

...We respect Woman in the self of Her own nature; we do not arrogate the right to criticise her. We welcome her as our ally, come to our camp as her Will, free-flashing, sword-swinging, hath told Her, Welcome, thou Woman, we hail thee, star shouting to Star! Welcome to rout and to revel! Welcome to fray and to feast! Welcome to vigil and victory! Welcome to war with out wounds! Welcome to peace with its pageants! Welcome to lust and to laughter! Welcome to board and to bed! Welcome to trumpet and triumph; welcome to dirge and to death!

It is we of Thelema who truly love and respect Woman, who hold her sinless and shameless even as we are; and those who say that we despise Her are those who shrink from the flash of our falchions as we strike from Her limbs their foul fetters.

Always Wondering

Ah, excellent reminder Nicky, thanks.

AW

Debra

The Thoth deck embodies Crowley's beliefs at multiple levels; it proceeds directly from, and demonstrates, Crowley's world-view. Isn't this why those who use it frequently advise others to read Crowley and say the deck can't be properly appreciated otherwise?

The situation is not analogous to a poet with bits of nastiness in his beliefs or character, or a thoroughly nasty composer whose music can be appreciated regardless of whether one knows his views. Understanding the deck (rather than just using it) means getting into Crowley's car, and he's driving.

nicky

Debra said:
The Thoth deck embodies Crowley's beliefs at multiple levels; it proceeds directly from, and demonstrates, Crowley's world-view. Isn't this why those who use it frequently advise others to read Crowley and say the deck can't be properly appreciated otherwise?

The situation is not analogous to a poet with bits of nastiness in his beliefs or character, or a thoroughly nasty composer whose music can be appreciated regardless of whether one knows his views. Understanding the deck (rather than just using it) means getting into Crowley's car, and he's driving.

I just love this :)

FWIW - I think all decks in theory should embody the deck creator's beliefs...which is why the Atlantian Dolphin Mermaid Goddesses deck sucks :)

zan_chan

Debra said:

Yes, exactly! Wonderfully put, Debra!