Is this deck for me?

zephyr_heart

Is this deck for me? And do I need the BoT? Should I study A. Crowley, Thelema, Ancient Egyptian religion, Astrology, Kaballah, etc, etc?

I'm amazed at how far this deck could enhance your understanding of yourself and the universe at a higher level. But... SO MUCH to learn!

To tell you the truth, I saw this deck before at a local bookstore, and I feel this one's calling me to buy it. Haven't bought it though, still unconvinced.

So I browsed over the 'net and... Still disoriented at whether to take this deck seriously or not.

I heard there's Mr. Duquette's book "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot". Is it a good read? Any other book that could be useful for the study?

Sorry if my question's numbered a ton. Been mooning for this deck for a month or so.

Please admit this neophyte :)

Regards
Zephyr

Cerulean

I noticed this thread starts from the same questions...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=141108

Hope it is helpful and if the questions you have about books, etc...if that tells you what you first asked.

There is a link to an online book of Thoth at the thread--although from the thread discussion above, Duquette's book is a good helper.

But people learn differently....

Perhaps it would be more fun for you if you had the deck first and as you checked out the cards and read through that thread or others?

By the way, I edited my response to you because it seems like you were asking a question about a book, but you didn't have the deck yet.

It is easy to be disoriented by reading discussion about something you don't
have at all--people love to research or hear about things before they experience something--"to know what to expect." But I am thinking until one has the deck, how do you know what to ask might be effective to you--,because individually experiencing the learning might be different for you?

In general, I think Duquette's book is a good resource, his writing is helpful and I keep it in my library. Others more experienced or have different learning modes might have differing opinions.

Best wishes

Cerulean

Chiska

At this point, I have decided to do a superficial study of the Thoth. First, I spend time with the card and let it speak to me. Then, I read from DuQuette. THEN I read from the Book of Thoth.

So far, I have found that my initial impressions of the cards are rather close to what I read from the written sources. What they do is open my eyes to deeper meaning.

You can get the deck, toss the LWB, and just get lost in the cards. Let them speak to you. But keep any preconceived notions out of it. That is my advice.

The only way you will know it is for you is if you pick it up and start working with it. A book will help you delve deeper, but it won't tell you if the deck is right for you.

sapienza

Of all the decks I have owned, over many years, the Thoth is the one I keep returning to, and the one that has probably taught me the most about both tarot and myself. If you have felt an urge to get the deck it may be worth going with that instinct and picking up a copy.

zephyr_heart said:
Is this deck for me? And do I need the BoT? Should I study A. Crowley, Thelema, Ancient Egyptian religion, Astrology, Kaballah, etc, etc?
Because the Thoth does incorporate so many different things as you mentioned above, it is easy to feel overwhelmed in the early stages. However, I think it's important to remember that this deck can offer a lifetime of study and contemplation. No need to know everything right away, you can continue to add new layers as you go.

I'd really recommend DuQuett's book. It gives a good overview for those new to a lot of the ideas and areas that Crowley assumes one has knowledge of. I have found the Book of Thoth WAY more accessible after reading DuQuette. Everyone is different though. If you decide to go ahead and get the deck, and books, you can always visit this forum as there is a wealth of information here that can help too. :)

Abrac

zephyr_heart, I've said it before many times. I believe the Thoth is worth studying. My position though is that neither it nor Thelema contain ultimate truth. But I would encourage anyone to explore and see for themselves, if they feel they are being led in that direction. :)

ravenest

zephyr_heart said:
yes, yes yes! Even if you dont get the cards, they are all a fascinating subject and will inclrease your awareness and understanding.

We could call this range of subjects (including a few others) 'Hermetics' and in my opinion Hermetics has been the levan of Western Culture ... without it we appear to 'naturally' go into a 'Dark Age'.

zepher_heart said:
Just knock on the door, someone will let you in ;)

Stormdancer

zephyr_heart said:
Is this deck for me? ...Been mooning for this deck for a month or so.

Regards
Zephyr

Seems to me that since you've been drawn to it over & over again... pick it up...read...READ the threads here....and start small. It's a heavy deck, but you don't have to learn it all at once...in fact, you CAN"T learn it all at once so relax :)

Stormdancer

Stormdancer said:
... you don't have to learn it all at once...in fact, you CAN"T learn it all at once so relax :)

Gee...I think I need that advice...LOL That Stormy...one WISE Woman :D

Sorry...BAD form to quote ones self....**shrug**

tarotreader2007

I have somewhat of a different story because for the longest time I really didn't like the Thoth as I was strictly an intuitive reader and I thought (and still do think to a large extent) that the Thoth is not the most intuitive friendly deck. I owned it for about six years until a couple months ago when I got very interested in different sytems and have been studying it daily ever since out of the intrigue.

All I have to say is that it is a FASCINATING system. It is very cohesive, very logical, and very deep. I tried the BoT and found it lacked what I wanted which was an understanding of how and why the cards were the way they were. Duquette's book does a wonderful job explaining this and gives plenty of references for those of us curious enough to seek them out and learn more.

I realize it will be a long time before I have a good grasp of it but it's so interesting that once you get hooked, it no longer seems daunting. Fortunately, it is not as impenetrable as it seems.

As Abrac said, "I believe the Thoth is worth studying. My position though is that neither it nor Thelema contain ultimate truth." I agree. My spiritual beliefs are nothing like those of Crowley but what originally drew me to tarot was not the reasons it exists today but the vast applicability it offers. The Thoth is one of those decks that exists because of its devotion to that system that gave tarot its amazingness. If you are inclined to get it, you will be fascinated when you open it up and take the second step. :)

Peace and Love

Probie

I have a series on Youtube about the Schools of Tarot Interpretation. I make a few points as non-negotiables: (1) there's no right school, just the right one for you. Be & honor yourself no matter what anyone you respect says. (2) There's no easy school, what Intuitive School folk lack in book reading they make up in spades through needing psychotherapy/serious navel gazing/self-reflection.

The Thoth Tarot, with the Golden Dawn Tarot, makes up [predominantly] what is known as the Systems-Based Schools of Tarot Interpretation. I personally believe the deck that calls is your gateway drug (tongue in cheek of course, :D) to your school. In middle school/junior high, my childhood friend Liam showed me the Thoth Tarot and talked about Aleister Crowley as a 7th grader would. 23+ years later when I got into Tarot, I knew exactly what deck I needed.

Schools aren't exclusive, but they have a focus. I use Intuitive School techniques, but at the fairs I attend my approach is distinct. It's not better or worse, just different. If I tried doing it there way, I wouldn't be invited back by the organizers. Simple as that.

The Systems-Based Schools require lots of obvious upfront work. The others do too, it's just not obvious. Wherever you are, then that's were you should be. So you start out with reference books in hand, so what? Be good to yourself and don't give up! My guru says to me, "If you don't say 'I will eventually touch my knee to my mat' you never will." So you say, "I will eventually be able to work with this deck without helps" and you will. At this point, belief in the statement is optional.

I loved DuQuette even though Paul Hughes-Barlow trounces him because he sets the context of the deck. Wanna know about the cross? DuQuette can tell. Wanna know the history of how the deck came about, coloration, and so forth? Duquette can tell. Wanna know the sex secrets of the IX level of the OTO? DuQuette can't tell, he's sworn to secrecy. Hence, why some flip. He can say what he can say in that book.

Want to go through the cards play by play for meaing? Snuffin might be better (240 pages). Crowley's [literal] Book of Thoth is great for Trumps, a little brief on the rest, and questionable on the Court Cards. Eventually a must get, but you could get by with just that book by Crowley. I look at bibliographies in Tarot books by big authors & usually that's the only one they cite. Fans will read & cite more, but community wide that's the magnus opus. There's also Hughes-Barlow & Chapman for the unique Thoth Tarot spread style/technique. That's a short book (only 136 pages).

I add the pages to point this out: you'd read as much for the Traditional School (i.e., Rider-Waite-Smith). The myth about the Systems-Based School requiring more reading than others isn't entirely true...