Thoth Nine of Disks - whose effigies are stamped on the six coins?

Lillie

ravenest said:
Crowley, "Got any money on you Regardie?"
Regardie, "Um..yes."
Crowley, "Well, hand it over then."

Wonderful. :D

What a man!

And I suppose Regardie did....
And carried on doing so all the time he knew him....

I wish I could get away with that.

I'll try....
Got any money on you, Ravenest?

Teheuti

ravenest said:
If there was a little 3 person cameo there I'm sure Israel would have been included

Regardie lived and worked with Crowley from 1928 to 1930/31. Frieda Harris didn't come along until later when Regardie was no longer around. I don't see any resemblance in the faces to specific people and there are six faces not three.

On the 6 of Disks are the same planets but in their simple planetary glyphs. The face of Saturn (same as on the 9) can be seen on the 7 of Disks in conjunction with the Bull signifying the Saturn in Taurus correspondence. The 8 of Disks repeats the Sun's glyph. The 10 has variations on Mercury (magical, alchemical, angelic, etc.) - the regenerative force at the end of the line. The Ace repeats the three interlocking circles as a personal, signature glyph (The Mark of the Beast) on which is written "I 666" as in "I am 666" around which appears his magical name. The 5 of Disks shows the Tattvas. The 4 shows the elemental glyphs. The 2 has the 2-in-1 yin/yang symbol. The 3 of Disks has the glyphs for the core alchemical substances: Mercury, Sulphur and Salt.

There's clearly an important theme here and it has nothing to do with any supposed mundane love triangle between him, Regardie and Harris (especially when the latter two probably didn't even know each other directly).

Mary

ravenest

Lillie said:
And I suppose Regardie did....
And carried on doing so all the time he knew him....
Until the money ran out, then Crowley told him to get a job. srael didnt have clothes for an interview so crowley took him to the tailors and paid for a lovely new suit for him ... this was all before the 'Dear Alice' incident.

of course I dont think thast AC FH and IR all got off together, I was just responding to the 'Why Regardie?' Earlier (although I could 'challel' a version of the triangle for you?

Lillie said:
Got any money on you, Ravenest?
Not a cent ... how about you?

Lillie

You must be kidding.

I'm waiting for my sugar daddy to come along so I can seduce him with my beauty and my charm and take him for every penny he has..... :D

Somnilocus

Does anyone know if there's a mirror to the site Cerulean linked to back in 2004? Unfortunately, it's not online anymore. :(

sapienza

I pulled this card tonight and so have taken the opportunity to have a closer look at it. This thread certainly has some interesting ideas. The one thing that I keep seeing when I look at it is the three disks in the centre. I notice that the rose coloured disk is overlapped by the green and the blue, but the blue and the green disks do not overlap. Now when I look at the card I feel the urge to squish them together to make whole thing more symetrical.

I like the idea that this card represents a combination of good luck and good management.

firemaiden

I pulled this card in a reading for a friend tonight and wanted to know about the effigies on the coins all over again. How glad I am that the earlier impersonation of me began a thread on the matter.

I can see the lion. The lion stands out loud and clear, even clearer than the teddy bear on the Seven of coins.

I'd like to know if anyone else thinks this looks like a gaming table with poker chips.

rachelcat

I was resisting, resisting, trying to unsee the lion face that I saw! Thank you everyone for reminding me it consists of the circles of the sun, therefore making it a real live solar symbol! Whew!

Poker chips, coins, green baize card table. I definitely see it. "Good luck and good management"! Good visual!

Oh, and thanks for the info on the meaning of "magical images." We muggles were apt to think that just meant slightly more elaborate signs.

Now my IDS!

9 = Deserved, subconscious
Disks = Physical

Deserved prosperity and health

This is a very circular card! First the 9 disks: Three circles are overlapped in the middle, pink green, and violet. Above is a triangle of 3 coins and below another triangle of 3 coins. 10 rays or leaves? radiate from the center. I’m having trouble figuring out the circles in the background. Are there one big one in the back with two overlapping ones over that? Everything is in subdued, brownish colors: green, pink, very dark maroon, and brown. Snuffin says the 3 center circles are the sun, and the faces on the coins are sigils of the planets. I see they are in “normal” tree of life order: Saturn at the top, then Jupiter and Mars, then Venus and Mercury, and a waning moon crescent at the bottom.

The Prudence and patience in the 8 has paid off. And the disks are not ALL coins, as in the 10, not TOO materialistic.

Crowley says the background is a circle of 6 larger disks in the form of a hexagon. I’m still not quite seeing it. He says the card can show a self-satisfied complacency and satisfaction. Not wanting anything else once the Gain has been gotten. 3 times 3 shows “the mingling of good luck and good management.” The multiplication of the Work done in the 3 of Disks by luck into a 3-fold increase? He says the multiplication of disks, originally whirling disks or turning wheels of work (or commerce?), weaken their energy, so they eventually become inert coins. (As, as I noted, by the time we get to 10, they’re all coins.)

Venus in Virgo: Crowley: “Good luck attending material affairs, favor and popularity.”
Banzhaf: Sensual, practical, reliable, faithful, and helpful.

In a reading: You have worked hard and had a bit of luck and now you gain what you deserve. You are in for a time of prosperity and health. Beware of becoming too complacent. There is more to life than physical comfort. But for now, enjoy it!

Firestarter

firemaiden said:
The Book of Thoth says "These may be marked with the magical images of the appropriate planets"

Does anyone have the inside scoop?

The signs of the cards going down and then left are meant to be in the order of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, the Sun (represented by the 3 "solar disks"), then Venus, Mercury and the Moon. This is the order of the apparent speeds of their rotation as seen from earth. If you make a hexagram by connecting Saturn with Mercury and Venus and then connecting the other three with the Sun left in the middle, you have the planetary attribute hexagram. It's the main symbol used in the Ritual of the Hexagram which is used for controlling or aligning yourself with the forces of the planets.

Now...

Make a septagram. Going counterclockwise put the planets in this order on the points. Then, starting with the Sun (for Sunday), go to the Moon and so forth tracing the lines out again. You get the order of the planets that the days of the week were named for in correct order. Crowley loved stuff like this.

RLG

Firestarter said:
The signs of the cards going down and then left are meant to be in the order of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, the Sun (represented by the 3 "solar disks"), then Venus, Mercury and the Moon. This is the order of the apparent speeds of their rotation as seen from earth.

Now...

Make a septagram. Going counterclockwise put the planets in this order on the points. Then, starting with the Sun (for Sunday), go to the Moon and so forth tracing the lines out again. You get the order of the planets that the days of the week were named for in correct order. Crowley loved stuff like this.

Dwtw

The other septagram you can make out of this arrangement is to connect every other point, i.e, join Mars to Venus to Luna to Juppiter to Sol to Mercury to Saturn and back to Mars.

You now have another septagram, connecting the planets in the order of the atomic numbers of their metals :)

Crowley would have loved that too, but I don't think he ever noticed it.

Litlluw
RLG