Dominos?

Fulgour

Domino [@] ?

closrapexa said:
In my deck the dominos don't show up that clearly, and I wouldn't have seen them unless I was looking for them. Kudos [Similia] for noticing that!!
Yes indeed! Similia's eye for detail has become superhuman!
Or maybe he's using: The Tool of Mystery <=click to reveal

Lamp with 5" diameter 3-diopter lens (enlarges 75%) = $10.
For details and the colours! It's a vision to behold any card.

Grigori

Alas no "tool of mystery", just healthy eyes, large cards, and too much time on my hand this week (or perhaps too little time spent where it should be is mpore correct...)

Of course I now really want one of these great magnifying tools. I used to have an iris torch that I used often to see fine details, but it went boom!

HenryLee

I hate to add even more facets to this issue, but I pulled the Emperor earlier today and what's that one his shirt? Yep, spirals. The Emperor has the bee mating patterns on his shirt...Great...So the bees are royalty, he's wearing the dance of the queen bee, but what about those dominos?

I still think that the dominos are more about 'dominion' than anything else.

Henry

Alta

That song is amazing. I just listened about 4 or 5 times. Interesting point of view.

ravenest

Ah! In the song it says; TIPS one more domino ... ? Are we talking about the game where all the dominoes are standing up and one is pushed over to knock the rest down in succession? That's what the song seems to suggest ...

Is this the more subtle way of the Empress as opposed to the forcefull Emperor just mashing the Dominos over with a sweep of his hand?

Is Ravenest serious or is he just confounding the issue for Similia?

Is Crowley serious or is he just confounding the issue for everyone?

I'm thinking there is a case for dominos to appear on coats of arms and in royal regalia but can't remember the reason for it or what it originally symbolised... it might not be significant in itself but just used on the Empress to denote her rulership ... like a general non-specific crown would.

DoctorArcanus

Vincent said:
"Perching upon the flamelike up. rights of her throne are two of her most sacred birds, the sparrow and the dove; the nub of this symbolism must be sought in the poems of Catullus and Martial. On her robe are bees; also dominos, surrounded by continuous spiral lines; the signification is everywhere similar."
Book of Thoth

A good rule for studying Crowley's symbolism is, whenever you get stuck... look for the sexual angle.

Catullus poem 68
http://www.vroma.org/~hwalker/VRomaCatullus/068c.html

nor did ever dove delight so much in her snowy mate,
though the dove bites and bills and snatches kisses
more wantonly than any woman,
be she amorous beyond others' measure.

nec tantum niueo gauisa est ulla columbo
compar, quae multo dicitur improbius
oscula mordenti semper decerpere rostro,
quam quae praecipue multiuola est mulier.

I think Vincent is right :)

rebecca-smiles

Well if there was a thread on bees i was bound to find it eventually!

Hello Thoth-shuffling-people!

About the bees: they are a matriarchal society, the Empress is martriarch: human matriarchal societies have been found to operate differently from patriarchal ones:

Patriarchal society: the leader maintains their postion by having all the power and resources stacked up under them- it is difficult for people to disent because he has the power that will be used against them, and whatever their position, they have less power and resources than him. He maintains his position through authority.

Matriarchal society: the matriarch aquires and maintains her power according to her ability to distribute power and resources among the tribe/society, if she fails to do this adequately then the group will quite simply elect someone else who can. The group bestow power to the one who can do this most effectively, but they still maintain the power to withdraw power from her should she abuse it.

But bees don't act like this, all the drones serve a common good; the sustainment of the hive though service to the queen and her to produce more queens. She has an almost patriarchal power over the hive, even though she is dependant on the drones. her royal offspring get everything, the drones gext to nothing.

Both the emperor and empress have the bees, but she has the donimos/dominion, so i think maybe it is saying that the deck is her Rule? That she distrubutes power?

There are many animals that could have been picked as 'royal' the inclusion of the swirls and bees might suggest that this is about how the two cards shape social patters, movements, interaction, conformity, communication. Basically the relationship between ruler and ruled.

dominos reflect that further by the knock-on effect of tipping them over- what effects one effects many. Plus the multiplication- increasing number/value: as society grows it becomes more significant, and in more need of cohesion (through a ruler). A genlty tipping domino, is a ruler who treats their kingdom with care.

I dunno, never really looked at symbolism this way, so i might just be rambling.

Teheuti

From Wikipedia:
"The game's name comes from the pieces' resemblance to Venetian Carnival masks known as domini, which were white with black spots. These masks were so named, in turn, because they resembled French priests' winter hoods, being black on the outside and white on the inside. The name ultimately derives from the Latin dominus, meaning "lord" or "master." (or domina, mistress)

Another site notes that the original Chinese sets had dominoes for each of the 21 combinations that rolling two dice can make.

Thus we have the 21 Trumps, Venetian Carnival masks, white with black spots. The origin of the word is domus, house or household.

Mary