Weiser vs Llewellyn

Abrac

Ahh....I see it now.

P.S. I also have a Llewellyn Hong Kong, and the 5 of Swords from that deck has it too!

chriske

In praise of Llewellyn

Carl Llewellyn Weschcke's letter on the history of printing the Thoth tarot is very enlightening. It appears that the first US printing was shared with Weiser so the cards, inner and outer boxes were done for both companies at around the same time. As a result, they both got identical products (except with the appropriate company name and address on the outer box of course). So I suspect that's why the first US printing for both Weiser AND Llewellyn contained errors: no 8 on 8 of cups; reversed Ace of Disks; forgotten borders; colour issues.

But in fairness to Llewellyn, those errors were subsequently corrected and the colouring of the cards was improved considerably. The corrected Llewellyn printing came in the identical inner gold box and outer white box as the first edition. However, the cards for the new edition appear to have been printed in Belgium because they are identical to the subsequent 1978 USG version, ie. it's a "greenie". This version of the Llewellyn has no OTO card.