Drawn to Thoth Tarot

Schelli

I've never been a Crowley fan, but lately I am finding myself more and more drawn to the Thoth Tarot. Something in the symbolism just seems to be calling out to me although I have said for years that I would not read with Thoth because I disagree with many of Crowley's views regarding women, etc. Should I just give in and get the deck and learn it. Am I just opening up to new energies and just coming away from this self imposed box I've been in for so long. Any advice?

Lillie

Go for it.

ravenest

The old boy did say that none of his higher initiations would be possible without women. (And I'd venture to add the same about his Tarot cards).

Of course he also had a post-Victorian view of women as well, mix that up with his magical perspective and his rascally nature ...

From the point of view of the cards alone I find it interesting that he eleminated Kings and used Queens with their Knights as support (although the YHVH formula still remains) much in the way IMO that the beast supports the woman in ATU 11.

Abrac

A lot of Crowley's philosophy went into the cards to be sure, but it's also hard to underestimate the influence of the artist. A lot of what is so striking about the Thoth can be attributed to her (Lady Frieda Harris). If you are repelled by Crowley but still drawn to the deck that may be why. I read somewhere that if Crowley would have had his way we would now have another mediocre Marseille/Egyptian spin-off.

ravenest

Thank goodness for Frieda then! And Rose ... if not for her insistences we might not have had Liber AL either.

Heres to the girls then ! (Ravenest lifts up his lunch time cuppa in salute.)

Schelli

I'm convinced, I think its Lady Freya's artwork that I am drawn to and the symbolism just seems to be "calling me".

I'm going to stop by the local shop and get it tommorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Lillie

ravenest said:
Thank goodness for Frieda then! And Rose ... if not for her insistences we might not have had Liber AL either.

Heres to the girls then ! (Ravenest lifts up his lunch time cuppa in salute.)

Yay for the girls!

Apparently us and the devil are in close cahoots! :D

firecatpickles

And gay boys, too! })

Schelli, don't buy this deck!!!

Now that I got your attention---will bring it to work for you!

~R

Schelli

Thank You so Much!!! See you Sunday! I'm so excited to read from this deck...

ravenest

Lillie said:
Yay for the girls!

Apparently us and the devil are in close cahoots! :D

Yes, apparently ... would you consider teaching a course in that for us? ;)