Sorting Cards

Jewel

Wildchild said:
I had wondered about the Singers too. I still don't know what to make of them. They don't seem to fit right with the deck...at least, not to me. I had wondered if he needed a few more cards & did them quickly. Overall, I'm happy with the deck but I had considered taking the singers out. On the other hand, that would make the deck incomplete.

Please don't take the Singers out ... next week when I am back online we can start a thread specifically about singers and discussing them. At first I found it really hard to undestand them, but after working with the deck for almost 10 months now, they do have a special energy. I think a good discussion on Singers in general is long overdue so I am really glad you guys brought this up!

Alissa

Don't abandon Them yet, puh-lleeease!!

I totally agree with Jewel on this ... and when I first got the deck, I really REALLY didn't care for the Singers either. I left them there at the beginning of the deck, but didn't consider Them as REAL fae.

But, after working with them (mostly in daily draws or dream draws) I've come to see Them soooo differently. Here are 2 threads to get us on the topic of Singers :

On Singers :

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6088

And, a thread where I mention working with Singers, which may get your own wheels turning :

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10015

Yesterday, I pulled Ekstasis. I don't know if He is classified as a Singer, I rarely visit the book myself, but he *looks* Singer to me. And, while I sat with Him, I watched him shapeshift from a dragonfly, to the Faun's face, and back again. It was magnificent! (And I thought it was something mundane he had to say, like "embrace moments of ecstacy ....")

Believe me, I also didn't care for the Singers at all, and largely ignored Them for the first month or so, unless They came up as a draw. I couldn't see their faces then, like I often can now -- and I know I've read Jewel seeing additional sets of Singer wings over time. They take a little getitng used to.

I rather think They're quite used to it. So many people dismiss Them at a glance ... and many times I know I dismiss things at a glance, happy in today's fast times to just look and have my gut reaction dictate. I think They get away with more of their own unique "work" when They're less obtrusive.

Why, jhink of how much it ups your "mischief potential" when people constantly underestimate you! :D (Why no, I'm not speaking form personal experience, whatever would give you that impression?)

Khatruman

It is interesting how many of you were turned off by the singers. I was drawn to them immediately, but I do have a penchant for the abstract. I saw the reason for them to be classified as singers in that they have an affinity for what might be termed "absolute" music. If you saw the original Fantasia, there was that explanation of absolute music explained at the beginning of the movie: music that doesn't call forth a specific picture, but that may evoke a simple color or swirl of colors. I heard music as I looked at these cards. And the more I contemplate them, the more I see form, or changing form, like Alissa points out. I see the singers as tapping into that part of us that makes form out of the abstract, and I love them for that.

Peace!

Wildchild

I'm looking forward to the discussion on Singers, Jewel. I think that's why I'm not connecting with this deck as much as I could be. One of the singers always shows up and they throw me off. I'm going to look over the links that Alissa provided. :)

darwinia

Re: Don't abandon Them yet, puh-lleeease!!

Alissa said:
I totally agree with Jewel on this ... and when I first got the deck, I really REALLY didn't care for the Singers either. I left them there at the beginning of the deck, but didn't consider Them as REAL fae.

But, after working with them (mostly in daily draws or dream draws) I've come to see Them soooo differently. Here are 2 threads to get us on the topic of Singers :

On Singers :

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6088

I was interested in your mention of the book Good Faeries/Bad Faeries. I always figured the deck pretty much had what was in that book but apparently not. You seem to refer to more detailed information about the Singers in Brian's book, is that right?

I assume he has extra stuff in there about all the pictures in the deck?

Thanks.

Khatruman

Re: Re: Don't abandon Them yet, puh-lleeease!!

originally posted by freesiaskye:
I was interested in your mention of the book Good Faeries/Bad Faeries. I always figured the deck pretty much had what was in that book but apparently not. You seem to refer to more detailed information about the Singers in Brian's book, is that right?

I assume he has extra stuff in there about all the pictures in the deck?
It's funny, I was just at a bookstore yesterday and was browsing through Good Faeries/Bad Faeries, and yes it does have many of the faeries of the deck, but seems to have much more. There was a whole section on the singers, but I didn't really read what was being said there. I just had the sense that there was more than the deck's book brings out. This might be because Froud writes the book, as opposed to Jessica Macbeth, so there may be more artist insight into them. Again, I find the singers to be important in bringing forth the abstract, something that we in the sensory world have trouble with. I do remember one comment in the singers section about faeries historically being paralleled to angels, and being close to the supreme consciousness makes them more amorphous, away from our earthly, sensory reality (this is my wording, so Froud might put it another way). It helped me to understand them as more spiritual "beings." That they are more part of the spirit world makes them less formed into delineated beings, as we in the earthly world are. And since we are so grounded in this world, we have a hard time making sense of them. But it is as Macbeth points out it choosing your least favorite card: it is important to examine what it is that we don't connect with to understand ourselves even better.

Peace!

Alissa

freesiaskye, I actually haven't read the Singers section of Good Fae/Bad Fae and I don't really go by what the books say. I haven't even read the book that came with the deck beyond the first section, up to the cards' "meanings."

My thoughts and impressions of Singers are just based off working with the cards -- pulling them, examing them, looking closely.

And I totally agree with Khatruman's statement that Fae are immaterial. To me, they are of the astral realm -- they belong to the spirit level of existence, but Their world overlaps our regular world at all times. If you tune in, you begin to sense how and when They interact. That is finding the magick.

Singers *are* a lot like "angels" ... that's just another name for another type of astral being, to me. Angels embody emotional and compassionate states, though, and Fae are Elemental. They interact differently, although I see them as similar in ways.

Khatruman

Redirection

Great discussion on the singers, but I would like to redirect this thread as a personal question.

At the subtle goading of Jewel (Queen Mermaid herself ;)) I have attempted to mix a second CD of music for water fae. I would like your opinion on which of the cards you would group as water fae? I drew some cards and got an interesting selection, but I would like to hear your viewpoints before I say what mine ended up being.

Peace!

Alissa

Wet Fae

Tobaira of the Waters (of course) and Losgunna come to mind without even going to fetch my deck. And, Iris of the Rainbows ... because without water there is no rainbow.

Pfaff seems spongy and wet. (Squishy music?)

You know... the Green Lady comes to mind, although I don't rightly know why except She is so lush and green.

And Epona's Wild Daughter, those legs kicking this way and that through water or air ... doesn't matter which.

Athara

The Singers... Ahh. The Singer of Initiation is my Universal Card. It's perfect for me.

If you look and listen very good, all the Singers have a story of their own. There's more to them than the eye meets...

Take time to get to know them, and it'll turn out all right.