78 DW: F.A.Q&#39s

Melvis

This thread is for those who are curious about the "78 DW" posts in the Talking Tarot forum, and the study group they relate to.

"78 DW" refers to "78 Degrees of Wisdom", a book by Rachel Pollack that is a classic study of tarot. The threads that refer to it in this forum are part of an informal study group that we've started.

I'll include comments from Jewel and myself below, which were taken from the "78 Degrees of Wisdom" thread, and which illustrate the specifics of this group nicely.

FROM JEWEL:
One of the things I would like to see in the study group is how we apply that knowledge to the decks we most commonly use as we go through the book so that we can all learn about the symbolism (and compare and contrast it to the RW) in other decks as we as review. I don't know about you guys but I learn best from application. How does that sound? I think it could enhance our knowledge of our favorite decks and maybe gain some new insights about them.
This is absolutly fabulous!!!! We will have tons of fun with this I am sure. As Melvis' secretary ~giggles~ (sorry Melvis I just hired myself *LOL*) I would like to recap what I understand we are all agreeing to AND I will put a few other suggestions. Once we get the ground work on how we want to proceed then Melvis can take it away ... I absolutly love the idea of starting with the diamond by the the way <G>. Okies here is what I undersrand we are all agreeing to:
1) The group is open to all, those with the book, those getting the book, those who are curious about the book, those who seriously want to be a part of this book or no book.
2) We will start a new thread with each chapter we discuss so that we can stay focused.
3) Melvis will be our fearless leader although we are ALL responsible for keeping this study group alive.
4) Study group participants will use what ever deck they choose to use.
5) The purpose of the study group is to discuss the book and apply the knowledge we learn to the decks we prefer. By this I do mean adding/discussing some of the symbolism in your deck that might not be a part of the RW deck, what you think it means, how it compares, etc.
PERSONAL SUGGESTIONS:
1) How about 1 chapter every 2 weeks? Since most of us have expressed how busy we are this would ensure that everyone would have time to read the chapter, and there would be no pressure/hurry or worry about falling behind. It would be a laxed pace that would allow us to try to go really deep into the subject vs. a hit and run approach *LOL*. I really want sink my teeth into this ~giggles~.
2)For group members to make additional suggestions/coments in this thread and keep the chapter threads clean and dedicated to discussion and questions of that chapter (like you guys have done with the Aeclectic project).
3) That all Chapter related threads be marked something like "78 DW - blah blah blah Chapter" or whatever ... just an easy identifyer for group participants.
4) All questions are great questions! If at some point any one of us gets confused, twisted up or what ever let the group know so we can nurture each other and continue learning together.
FROM MELVIS:
I think 1 Chapter every 2 weeks would give everyone a chance to get involved. As we accumulate chapters, it may get to be closer to 3 weeks between new chapter introductions, 'cause I'm sure we'll all keep checking back on previous chapter threads as more people contribute to them! We'll play it by ear...
I will put "78 DW:" as the starting point on all the study group threads.
I'll also start a "78 DW: F.A.Q." thread that explains what we're doing, and can be a place to ask general questions.

Please post any questions you have about the 78 DW Study Group here. Otherwise, feel free to join the group on any Chapter's thread!

Peace,

Melvis

Talisman

Melvis,

What a splendid job you have done in putting this idea together!

Since "78 D.W." is one of my favorite Tarot books for many reasons, I have been following these threads with great interest. You can bet that while I may not contribute, I will be a faithful reader.

Thanks, Melvis. You, too, Jewel. And othes.

Talisman

Melvis

Current Threads for 78 DW

I thought I'd list the current (and upcoming) threads for the 78 DW Study Group.

78DW: Four-Card Layout (0,1,2,21) Chap. 1
Lay out The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, and The World in a diamond pattern and see how they relate to the 'journey' of the Major Arcana as a whole.

78DW: Overview of Majors (3 rows of 7) Chap. 2 lead by arizonagirl
This short chapter explains how Rachel P. will group the Majors in 78DW as she discusses them. I - VII in the top row, L to R; VIII - XIV in the middle row; XV - XXI in the bottom row (Fool is in its own 'Row' floating above top row).

POSTING ON OR AROUND FEB. 21
78DW: Fool, Magician, and High Priestess -- Chap. 3
In-depth explanations of each card with historical perspective and symbol explanation. Will be highlighting some of R.P.'s ideas and asking how you think they relate to the deck you're working with.

That's all so far! I'll modify this reply as we cover more chapters and create more posts!

Peace,

Melvis

Jewel

Melvis thanks again for keeping this study group going. I really appreciate it! I am looking forward to our future work in this study group. I am learning a lot from reading others' posts.

Love & Light,

Jewel

Just moving this to the top in case we have any new comers.

Temperance413

I just got this book a few weeks ago and now I know why. It is wonderful, and now I have the group to read it with. Thanks so much for the study. Now I have to catch up!!

Marie

Jewel

Welcome to the group Temperance!!!

Pollux

^ BUMP UP ^

I bumped this thread up, to see if other people would join the group.

I started reading the book this summer, and have not finished it yet, but I thought I would first check the Study Groups before finishing the Minors (read almost nothing) and the Spreads (read after the Majors, almost finished).

Is there someone else willing to keep the Study Group going?
Someone who would post and go through the book along with me?

THANX

Trogon

Pollux, Melvis, Jewel, et al;

I just picked this book up last night! I thought I'd check for threads on it before I posted on it and lo and behold, Pollux had just bumped it to the top of the forum! How's that for FATE? (After dinner my wife said she wanted to go browse at the bead shop downtown, I thought - "while she's doing that, I'll walk down to the new-age shop & look at Tarot decks & books". The 78DW book was the first one I picked up and after I came back to it the third time, I figured that must be the one I needed. :D )

It will probably take me a while to get caught up, but I'm on my way.

Trogon

Pollux

Threads I found so far...

I have been searching the section and so far I found threads related to the following chapters:

==============================

PART ONE: THE MAJOR ARCANA

Chap 1 - The Four Card Pattern Layout
Chap 2 - The Overview
Chap 3 - The Opening Trumps: Symbols and Archetypes
Chap 4 - The Worldly Sequence

PART TWO: THE MINOR ARCANA

Introduction

===============================

Are there any other threads I could not spot?
I see there are no threads going from the Chap 5 to the Minors - "Turning Inward", "The Greatest Journey" - and I wonder whether they were lost during the moving to the new server or the bumping among the different sections of the boards, or they were never started.

Anway I am glad! I have finished already the parts for the Study Group! :D