Jewel

Jewel's List

1) The Truth About Tarot - Gerald Suster
2) Tarot for Yourself - Mary Greer
3) 78 Degrees of Wisdom - Rachel Pollock
4) Tarot Constellations - Mary Greer
5) Tarot Mirror of the Soul - Mary Greer
6) Qabalistic Tarot - Robert Wang
7) Can't remember the name but it is by Paul Foster Case.

Books on my reading waiting list that will probably end up on this list include:

1) Tarot Reversals - Mary Greer
2) Tarot Shadow Work - Christine Jette
3) Another one I can't remember the name but it is by Angeles Arien

Lion-O

My favorite book is also my first book and I need to point out that this isn't only because of the things which are told and taught in the book itself, the way the book is "promoted" also is very appealing to me. "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. Do note this is aimed toward beginning Tarot users.

The part which I like best is that this book can also be read online at http://www.learntarot.com/ and if that isn't enough you can also download a copy to put it on your computer or (in my case) your webserver (that webserver isn't publicly available in case you are wondering ;)). For the lazy among you, you can download it here: http://www.learntarot.com/download.htm.

The reason why I like this approach is a bit obvious I guess; I'm a Linux user and somewhat used to software being available for free. Free it may be I can recomment buying it nevertheless; I did and its a perfect value book IMO (easier and more comfy to read in bed anyway).

Melvis

I'm bumping this thread up for our New Member, Dawn, and any others who are wondering about books!

My own recommendations:
Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning has received rave reviews from so many members here, and there's a great website, too!

78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack is a great book for more in-depth material dealing with card symbolism.

Tarot for Yourself by Mary Greer makes the study of Tarot very personal -- you get to work with the cards in many different ways for either divination or personal growth purposes.

So...while we're talking books...any new ones out there that we should know about? :)

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Maan

Well the my fav books are not really original... everything bu Mary Greer and Rachel Pollack.
But i like to ad "tarot your everyday guide" by Janina Renee ( the author of tarotspells )
The books explains all the cards as advice.... really good aproche IMO

JesusGypsy

Something different?

You guys have given me some great ideas! Thanks!

One of the books I found very interesting and different than the ones mentioned above is:

Beyond Prediction: The Tarot and Your Spirituality
John Drane, Ross Clifford & Philip Johnson

It is hard to find and in fact I had to get it from www.harvestbooks.com who will track it down for you.

Chapter Titles:
Searching for Our Souls
The Tarot and its History
The Healing Power of Myth and Symbol
Awakening the Major Arcana (including card interpretations)
Using the Minor Arcana (including card interpretations)
The Passage - 6 Spiritual Exercises Through the Tarot

It is not my only source for research but it challenges you rather deeply...only the soul seeker need apply.

SharonElizabeth

Favorite books (so far):

Tarot for Yourself by Mary Greer,
Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning.

I just started reading Tarot Shadow Work by Christine Jette.

On my wish list:
78 degrees of Wisdom
Power Tarot
Tarot and Psychology

I noticed that no one has yet listed Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen. I wanted it for a while, and actually ordered it but cancelled the order when barnesandnoble.com told me it was on back order. Has anyone read this book, and what do they think?

Houklani

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's read "Power Tarot!" Out of all the tarot books I've *read*, (skimmed through is more like it, one week isn't enough time to get really into one of those), "Power Tarot" is the only one that's held my interest long enough for me to get through at least two chapters. Pretty impressive!

Smiles,
Houklani

SherryZoned

Tarot Made Easy

I have Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen...I don't like it that well...It is confusing because she breaks it down into so many different categories..I would suggest not getting it..That's just me though..

starfish66

I agree with RedWood. I returned Tarot Made Easy to my local book seller and picked up the Tarot Combinations book.

The books on my wishlist are:

78 Degrees of Wisdom
Power Tarot
Tarot Shadow Work

Starfish

Phoenix

Well, I also love the book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling. I also like The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary K. Greer, and Tarot for a New Generation by Janina Renee. On my wish list I have: Tarot Card Combinations by Dorothy Kelly, Tarot Spells by Janina Renee, a whole slew of books on specific decks I own, and I think I am going to be getting something by Rachel Pollack. What exactly is 78 DW about exactly?? A specific aspect of tarot or...?