Best Loved Tarot Books!!

evangelion

I forgot to mention......

oops! I cant believe I forgot to mention probably one of the most informative and influential books I've ever read! "The Mystical Qaballah" by Dion Fortune.

Now, the Qaballah (or Caballa, Kaballah, etc) is many things and can be a very confusing subject to study sometimes depending on where you are in life. I have to say that of the 3 or 4 books I've read on the Qaballah, this is by far the best, easiest to understand.

And at first sight, some might say, "What does this have to do with Tarot cards?". And my reply would be "Everything". For me to go into detail would really take some time, but I think everyone who's got a deck of Tarot cards should at least read one book on the Qaballah, you'll be amazed at what you find!

nina

books

Hello,
I am currently reading Meditations on the Tarot by Anonymous, which a couple of people have already mentioned. the Roman Catholic bias is heavy, but I love how it shows that these cards can be used for spiritual exploration within a system of religious belief without having to indicate some sort of satanic belief or charlatanism. The book makes me stop and think and read passages over every two pages or so- his meditation on The Magician is the clearest description I've ever seen of that card.
I must ask, do all tarot books use the "fool's journey" metaphor? It doesn't really speak to me. I see the fool as a card in his own right who could fit at the beginning or the end of the majors.
-Nina

MeeWah

The Sacred Tarot Unveiled by Allyson Walsh
Tarot for Your Self by Mary K Greer
Tarot Constellations by Mary K Greer
Power Tarot by Trish MacGregor & Phyllis Vega
Tarot of the Bohemians by Papus
Tarot for Beginners by P. Scott Hollander
The Magical World of the Tarot by Gareth Knight

Angeline

Jewel.....i have no chance of getting a seperate PO box.....but hey I can tell him i got then for a bargain....LOL!
Tarot for discovery is on its way ..but 78 degrees is delayed yet :(
Ah well will just read here more...;)

Angeline x

Moongold

More

I have just purchased two more which look really good: 'Tarot Constellations ' by Mary Grer and "Tarot Mirrors" by the same author.

Moongold

Fuzzmello

I'm so glad to see so many references to
Joan Bunnings's Learning the Tarot
as peoples' favorite.

Her book, software and website are so generous and useful. They form a nice foundation for me, even though I'm not really a beginner (more a returner.)

My other standards are:

78 Degress of Wisdom - Rachel Pollack
Complete Book of Tarot Reversals - Mary Greer
Connolly Tarot vol 1 Apprentice & vol 3 Master - Eileen Connolly

And the online guide here at Aeclectic by our very own Thirteen!

Great thread, by the way!!

Fuzz

WolfSpirit

tigerlily said:
Choice Centered Tarot by Gail Fairfield is very good.
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention this one... I stumbled upon Choice-Centered Relating and the Tarot by the same author. I just had to have it, I haven't read all yet but I love it so far. She teaches you to write your own spread concerning a specific relationship (can be: relationship with colleagues, family...so not just romantic) by asking yourself: what questions do I want to ask about this relationship. Maybe I can't explain it very well and I haven't read everything yet, but I learn a lot from it.

Tarot for Self Discovery by Nina Lee Braden is also very good, gives you new ways to use the cards.

When I was beginning I found Tarot Plain and Simple very useful, and sometimes I still use it if I get a bit stuck with the meaning of a card, as it gives a lot of possible meanings.