The Faeries' Oracle (Froud) - Least Favorite Card

Demonesse

Unity

Least Favourite Card - UNITY!

Q#1: Emotional Atmosphere: No particular impression. Muddled, messed and not particularly unified. The colours jar and clash instead of blending smoothly, and the strokes are harsh and scratch-like instead of smooth like the other cards, which is inappropriate for the title. (see Ekstasis, for example). Must've been a dry-on-dry painting, with a poor technique compared to the other wonderful cards.

Q#2: Physical Manifestation: Mere colours, perhaps that of a deer's antlers, or a poorly drawn being or tree rising from out of the mist, with a eerie aura around it.

Q#3: Symbols: It's composed of lines and 'bright spots' so there isn't much to say here.

Q#4: Spiritual Characteristics: A blank feeling of non-relatedness and non-connection. (Ironic, since it's Unity!)

Q#5: Least appealing: The purple slashes combined with yellow. All the slash-like strokes that make up the picture, in fact. Painful on the eye and the spirit.

Q#6: Anything you like: Yuck. Well, maybe the bright spots of light and the tips of the 'antlers'.

Q#7: Other ideas or impressions: I like all of the other Singers and I like the concept of trying to represent higher beings of pure energy. I do think She of the Cruach, Courage and Initiation (if I am not mistaken) look too much alike though. Care should have been taken to show why they were two distinct, different cards.

But I cannot find anything at all to justify to myself why it is called Unity or why it deserves the no. 1 position - anything truly resembling a valid argument that is. Sure, it could be radiating fingers of light, but I think that could be applied to any other Singer card, and all of the others fit their card titles and roles much, much better as well as being better artistically. The overall feeling is one of disillusionment, somehow, and perhaps discomfort and the sense that something's not quite right in the mix.

Hmm.

I actually like probably all of the least liked cards here, except for the Bodach. It makes me think of secret, underhanded malice about to take place, or has already taken place and now the Bodach is making good his getaway. Luathas makes me feel a bit ill with all that green. The Topsy Turvets make me think of creatures from the movies "Gremlins" and "Critters" being squashed together, hehe - but they're cute in their own oddball way, I didn't take to them at first (and they're on the back of every card!) but now I do.

Wisp Wings

My Least Favorite Card

This all was done back in May and without reading beyond the page with the exercise for this. Again, I had four cards that I really had to work at to narrow down to this one.

My Least Favorite Card - "Soul Shrinker"

1. What is the emotional atmosphere of the card? It is very ill at ease, very unsettled. I totally dislike this card. I really want to avoid this guy/thing. Does it seem peaceful? No. It is lying in wait. Happy? No, well only fleeting moments of what it feels is happiness, this being after he's harmed another. This energy is like the Five of Swords. Sad? No, more like he gloats. Loving? No way! Lonely? Not sure. Friendly? No. What else? I feel a darkness in him.

2. What might the physical manifestation of this card's symbols bein someone's life? Envy, setting traps for the prey. What aspects of life does this card symbolize to you? This character feels empty. He needs to take away from others or do some awful thing to another to attempt to fill self. One would have less around him, but guard your inner being, as he wants to marr and strip it from you. Chaos? Yes, if he succeeds.

3. What do you see in the card's symbols that might represent the card's mental characteristics? The cold lacking of color and the strange bit of color that is there, tells me of this emptiness and his void of care. I don't trust this thing! I wish that I could be able to work with this one and to effect a change for the better. I can't help but to think this guy is a shark! He even looks much like one. I think there is layers to his devious behavior.

4. What are the spiritual characteristics of the card's symbols? Sorry, but I don't see anything good here. If there is a spiritual aspect -- it is an evil one.

5. What do you find most uncomfortable about this card? Hum, this question is hard. I find so much. I can't really say this one is worst than the others, but I will go with the mouth, the opening of it and those teeth! Yuck!

6. Is there anything you find appealing or attractive about this card? No.

7. Have you any other ideas about or impressions of this card? No. I want to be done with seeing and thinking on him.

(If you have the book in front of you, for each number of a question, there is really many questions to pull thoughts from you. I really did want to be done with him. Some of the many questions within the numbering of them, I skipped over. I felt I was saying it all already with nothing more to add. I just didn't want to have to look on this thing!)

Alissa

Wispy,

Your Least-comfortable card will teach you the most. Listen carefully to Soul Shrinker, he's got things to tell you.

Soul Shrinker challenges many people, he does wear a scary face doesn't he? But, on the days when you realize Soul Shrinker is there to work FOR you (against the meanies in life) and not against you, you may see him in a different light.

My sister adores Soul Shrinker. You may wanna check out this thread she started, after seeing how many also chose him as their least favorite.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11607

Thanks for sharing your Fae!

Wisp Wings

Hi Alissa:

Thank you for the url. I will read it and may have read from it before. My thoughts on him have changed somewhat and largely due to Sag. I couldn't remember but I knew one of you two sisters had wrote post talking about him and the bad rap he gets. My drawing of the card and doing the exercise was from back in May.

I will write another post, but interesting how they let you know they are knowing when you are being attention to them.

ultraviolet

I know this thread was started quite a while ago, but I just got my Faeires Oracle recently, so I thought I'd join in anyway.

I also picked The Soul Shrinker as my least favorite card. This Fae instantly bothered me, I knew it was my least favorite even before I started this exercise. I also didn't read the description until afterwards.

Emotionally this card makes me feel really empty inside. This Faery seems to be terribly unhappy about something. It looks like it's hurting.

Physically the Faery might be disconnected from it's source.

Mentally the Faery seems like it doesn't know who it is anymore.

Spiritually the Soul Shrinker seem to be lacking any kind of substance. Its like it has no desire to be in touch with itself at all. That emptiness inside has pushed the Faery away from all it knows. It's starving for love and for spiritual nurturance.

What bothers me the most is the Faery's mouth. It seems like it can't do anything about it's situation, either because it's too hard to change or it just doesn't know how. Maybe it doesn't even want to try.

The one thing I appreciate about this Faery is that at least it isn't hiding the way it looks and feels. It may be freaky looking, but it's all right out in the open.

Alissa

~Bump~! for the new folks to find, and hopefully reply to! :D

Nevada

Thanks much for the bump, Alissa.

I received the Faery Oracle yesterday. My least favorite is Soul Shrinker.

To me he looks like a mean drunk, now hungover, and with bad breath to boot. He has a bad attitude and doesn't care who it bothers. The amazing thing is I actually find myself feeling sorry for him, and I wonder if that is a trick of his, or if he's genuinely deserving of pity.

Of course pity never helped anyone, so I suppose I should just say, go clean yourself up and come back when you can play nice!

There, now that he's out of the way, I can talk about the ones I like. :)

Nevada

dolphinprincess

At first, I thought my least favorite card was the Soul Shrinker.. but when I learned a bit more about him, I felt bad for him.. He doesn't scare me so much anymore...

So, now, the one card that I'd have to say is my least favorite is the Glancomer... He reminds me of the aliens in that movie (duh, Alien).. I don't know, he just seems scary to me... but I hope in the future I'll learn enough about him that, like with the soul shrinker, i'll lose that fear...

Moonbow

This is wierd, my least favourite is the Soul Shrinker and I just realised that dolphinprincess and myself have very similar taste in this!

When I first looked at this card I thought Soul Shrinker looked very evil - pale and patchy skin, gappy sharp teeth and stubby nose, slitty eyes - just horrible

Since living with the Faeries (18 months now - and no regrets) I have realised that the Soul Shrinker isn't as bad as he looks but becomes uglier due to man, so he is sacrificing himself for our souls. Nevertheless this was the one I chose back then.

Moonbow*

scentsability

The Soul Shrinker

Wow there are some really interesting views in this thread, I have much to learn from you all.

I selected the Soul Shrinker as my least favorite card and here are my answers to the questions:

1 - sad, unhappy, being robbed, an invasion, and evil. Gray mottle of color with evil, heartless eyes. Evil, vague, flighty & deceitful.

2 - coldness, intolerance, evil, ignorance, hate, misery, dishonest, and deceitful.

3 - simple, clear and 1 dimensional, just plain ol' nasty!

4 - hate, discontentment and anger.

5 - the utter evil I see makes me most uncomfortable.

6 - nothing about this card appeals to me.

This card makes me physically uncomfortable. It stirs a sense of panic, fear, and upset from deep within me.

This card frightens me because I am afraid that I too am all of these things to some degree. (Oh can't believe I typed that out loud!)

How is that for a revelation? Very scary!