Tarot of the Hidden Realm

EarthAngel2911

The worst for me, is The Magician. He looks so dirty and pervy, like your friend's unemployed, older, stoner brother that lives in his van or his parent's basement.

LOL Oh my god, YES! I totally agree with you about this card! I really enjoy most of the images in this deck (and especially love Barbara Moore's companion book), but there are those couple of cards that I just don't like. And yes, the Magician is one of them.

Luckily it hasn't put me off using the deck though. Overall I love its energy. :)

Starshower

Oh dear, I had never thought of it like that, but now I can't NOT! :\

Which other cards do you both not like? I am quite fascinated. A few cards scare me a little ... must look through them again and discover which ones.

But I really do love the intensity of moods and sense of presence in this deck! And Julia's art, of course, which is always so powerfully engaging and un-ignorable. :heart:

EarthAngel2911

Which other cards do you both not like? I am quite fascinated.

There actually aren't many cards I flat-out don't like. I'm not crazy about the Ten of Swords and the Knight of Wands, but they don't give me the heebie-jeebies or anything.

The only other card that I just *don't* like is the King of Wands. Reminds me of that actor James Spader. blech! ;-)

I will say that this deck has my very favorite Queen of Swords... ever! This is my significator 95% of the time, so this is one of the cards that can color my opinion of an entire deck. I don't know what it is that connects so well for me, but I "get" her. Maybe it's this passage from the companion book by Barbara Moore:
"Her mouth curves slightly, not quite a smile. Her voice, cool, soft, invites you to join her. But her eyes...her eyes don’t welcome. They dare. Do you really want to talk to her? Do you really want to hear what she has to say? For she has tasted life, both the sweet and the bitter. She can discern truth from beguiling illusion. She can dance through the shades of gray and find the heart of the matter. Oh yes, she is wise. And quite articulate. Come, sit, her voice invites. I’ll tell you a story, a true story, her eyes declare."

Starshower

EarthAngel, I SO agree! I don't like the Knight of Wands either - unpleasant in a bizarre way. And yes, the King of Wands does remind me of the foul, creepy James Spader in Sex, Lies & Videotape. I wish I hadn't looked up who you meant, now! :(

For me, I find 2 cards quite terrifying: that 10 of Swords, as you say (extreme aggressive-defensiveness, which is an important state / emotion to recognise and certainly SHOULD have its place in the Tarot!)
The other card that scares me is the Queen of Wands. She looks so swaggeringly over-confident, so sure of herself and (to me) sneering or bullying. But that is a big issue of mine. I have never managed, in decades, to befriend this Queen and can never see her soft, gentle, sensitive or humble side (which I heap onto the Queen of Cups.) So possibly that is my own phobia showing there. Mea culpa.

Interesting, that I dislike 3 of the Wands court card characters here.

But I must insist that 4 out of 78 isn't bad!
I simply ADORE this deck and all the other cards more than make up for the few that make me flinch. I love Justice, Strength, the Emperor ... and that WONDERFUL Queen of Swords is utterly magnificent and gloriously expressive. As is the King ... and in fact ALL the others. Bravo - a triumph of a deck & in my top 3. :heart: :)

La Hierbera

Oh dear, I had never thought of it like that, but now I can't NOT! :\

I’m so sorry :( Perhaps I am misreading this card….perhaps this magician does not have control over the usual elements we associate with magic, perhaps the lesson is “look what powers I have with just a van, 70’s sofa, an open robe and a tattooed chest”? ;)

The other cards I don’t like at all, in order of annoyance:

The Fool – this guy looks like an actual fool rather than the symbolic tarot fool. In this image I see the kind of person that remains an irresponsible idiot his whole life, never learning, never growing up, always putting himself and others in danger, leaving elements turned on, not closing wood-stove doors, leaving candles unattended in rooms full of cats and toddlers, creating chaos always and everywhere because yet another shiny or pretty thing distracted his attention. His village is tired of having to monitor his every move and all agree not to rescue him the next time he takes a step off a cliff.

King of Wands - Looks too much like a snooty British boyband member to me. I have never envisioned a faery back-teasing his hair or using hairspray. Even if he moussed it up with Marshmallow root mucilage to get that look, I still find it atrocious.

Nine of Wands – I see a bad, overly dramatic, high school interpretative dance routine by an angsty middle class teen who thinks he has it rough, but has everything he could ever want. The boy doesn’t even look like he was painted by the same artist as the others, with a stiff, flat pose and expression.

There are other cards that are a bit distracting because they remind me strongly of celebrities, though I don’t necessarily dislike them, :

King of Swords – Kevin Sorbo
Eight of Wands – Keira Knightley
Queen of Wands – Claire Danes
Six of Cups – Kate Blanchette
King of Cups – one of the Hanson brothers

There also seem to be a few faces that were used over and over for various cards. I would rather there was less model repetition.

Out of 78 cards, this really isn’t a lot compared to the many that enchant me to great depths. Perhaps I need to spend more time with them to get past the less appealing ones. Perhaps this just isn’t and will never be a deck for me.

La Hierbera

Just looked up James Spader, and I now see him playing the role of a snooty creepy, British boy bander in the King of Wands. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of so many celebrity look a-likes in a non-celebrity themed deck.

I agree with the Knight of Wands...something is just off there. It looks to me like the painting of his hair was not completed, and the eyes seem like he is shrooming.

I quite like the Ten of Swords though. She looks like a friend of mine, who is currently getting unfairly attacked on all sides by her husband, his friends, in-laws, and she has had enough and is standing her ground!