The worst tarot books you have come across

Nina*

The Tarot Handbook; Angeles Arrien

I think it has nothing to do with the Thoth Tarot.

Free Flight

Definitely HarperCollins GEM guide to the Tarot. Almost every interpretation in it is different from anything else I have seen
:)

Junia

Tarot novella

Okay, so I hope that this is not too much off topic. But, I picked up a trade paperback yesterday by an author named Bruce Coville the book is called "Eyes of the Tarot. Death is in the cards." It is a hoot all. All the characters are teenagers in the book and go to Rider-Waite High School. I laughed so hard I nearly fell of the couch and hurt myself. Cheesy! As for "serious" books my main problem is with too much information. Like "How To: Use Tarot Spreads" Sylvia Abraham. Geez-back and forth and up and down trying to put a read together with this one. I know it is popular, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner like me.

Annabelle

I have to agree with all the others who have listed Understanding and Using Tarot by Emily Peach as the all-time worst tarot book.

Even after reading through this thread, I went ahead and bought a used copy of it on eBay, just because it was being sold along with another book that I really, really wanted.

So yesterday, I decided to take a look at Understanding and Using Tarot, thinking "how bad can it really be?"...and wow, did I find out. It is dreadful, and pompous, and confusing, and all of the other bad things people have said about it. On the other hand, it was so bad that it was actually funny. It was the best laugh I've had in a while. But otherwise totally useless.

Moontears

Emily Peach book

i didn't think that book was that bad...i mean..i didn't look at it thourougly, but i didn't think it was horrible. it was "interesting" i thought, and i didn't really look at it when i borrowed it from a friend. Thank goodness he bought it and not me.

Shade

Spiritual Tarot was fairly dreadful, I thought the little speeches given to you by the cards were fairly inane and always made every effort to soften the blow of the less hoped for cards.

sunflowr

Junia said:
Okay, so I hope that this is not too much off topic. But, I picked up a trade paperback yesterday by an author named Bruce Coville the book is called "Eyes of the Tarot. Death is in the cards." It is a hoot all. All the characters are teenagers in the book and go to Rider-Waite High School. I laughed so hard I nearly fell of the couch and hurt myself. Cheesy! As for "serious" books my main problem is with too much information. Like "How To: Use Tarot Spreads" Sylvia Abraham. Geez-back and forth and up and down trying to put a read together with this one. I know it is popular, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner like me.

Rider-Waite High School?! ;) Oh that's hilarious! ;D

Junia

Sunflwr - Maybe we should write our own

Maybe there should be a new thread based on Rider-Waite High School in the games section and see who can come up with what for, "The Official Handbook to the Rider-Waite High School Deck." Sort of cart before the horse thing. The Devil could be gym class (both genders). Death could be the cafeteria. The Emperor well the principal. The High Priestess is the librarian.

Help, call a moderator, I can't stop myself! Then it would certainly be the cheesiest if not the worst book.

psychic sue

Shade said:
Spiritual Tarot was fairly dreadful, I thought the little speeches given to you by the cards were fairly inane and always made every effort to soften the blow of the less hoped for cards.

I had a similar book to this (may have even been the same one) years ago and yes it was dreadful. Each card gave a pompous speech about itself as I remember. I think I laughed my way through that one!

I personally don't like the LWB's that come with decks. I find them fairly useless to be honest, but maybe I'm missing the point. I never look at them thoroughly.

I too LOVE the Rider-Waite High School. Reminds me of Grease!

Sue x

RedMaple

psychic sue said:
I too LOVE the Rider-Waite High School. Reminds me of Grease!

Sue x

Yes, I can't wait for the Rider-Waite High School Musical.(off-topic)

On topic:

Poppy Palin's book that goes with her Wild Spirit deck really irritated me. Very condescending. Only read a page or two and almost threw it across the room.