M'arse Says

blue_fusion

This started innocently enough. I needed some diversion from the Tarot Resom during its creation. Whenever I start a project, there will be times when nothing coherent seems to come out. So I start working on something else, like a doodle, or something.

This was the result. Something Marseilles-y. Or Neo-Marseilles. I was browsing through The Game Crafters card dimensions list, and toyed with the idea of a business card-sized deck, something smaller than average. However, when I did some test coloring, I felt that I could also work as a regular-sized deck.

Any name suggestions?

Attachments

• TESTb.jpg
    TESTb.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 454

blue_fusion

Attached are 3 "versions" of the deck's High Priestess image. (don't mind the text). My original plan was to make the deck done in the style of the middle image. But i toyed around with Photoshop a bit, and ended up with the image on the right, which also appealed to me.

Do you guys think it would be ok to publish these in 2 versions (which i think seem visually distinct from each other)?

Also, if I get the deck published in calling card size, there will be 4 extra cards in the deck because of TGC's card count thing. I'll probably use the 4 elements for this. I know, it's a bit redundant, but it just seems a waste to not do anything with those 4 extra cards.

So if I go with Tarot-sized cards: bigger cards, comes with a box.

If I go with business-sized cards: 4 extra cards added, no box (but I can provide a printable DIY box design).

Attachments

• TtriplePriestessComplex.jpg
    TtriplePriestessComplex.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 379

Annabelle

My own preference would be for the larger cards -- your art deserves to be easily seen! :)

And somehow I never end up actually using small-sized decks. Maybe it's on account of my big hands.

I love the coloring of the image in the center -- it's my favorite. But if you were going to do 2 versions, then yes, the one on the right is very nice as well.

Alta

I like this deck a lot, and I know you didn't ask but also prefer the centre's colour palette but the one on the right is good too. sigh, like Annabelle I generally cannot use very small cards but I have rather long hands.

blue_fusion

the Fool

Thanks for the inputs so far.

So, you guys seem to prefer "normal" tarot sized over business car-sized. I will take note of that.

Any suggestions for the name of the deck? I don't think the pun I used for the title of this thread would be appealing to tarotists lol.

I'll probably go with the middle color scheme. I like the right one too, but publishing two decks from essentially the same material still makes me a bit queasy. I don't want people thinking I'm trying to make a quick buck by rehashing my work.

Another option I guess would be to create another deck just so I can get it done in that other style.

Anyway, here is a test coloring of the fool. Still need to make some tweaks with the colors. Can't seem to get some colors right (for example, in this card, the greens are a bit too loud). Down to the line arts of the Courts and Aces. I'll start the actual coloring process after.

Also, and again, the text won't be the one used for the actual cards ;-)

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 326

Alta

haha... I like your humour! You are probably right about the title of the deck but I'll have to say that it gave me quite a chuckle.

Your 'le Mutt' looks good.

Barleywine

The central color scheme of the High Priestess and "normal-size" cards would be my choice. The monochrome is nice - and "vintage" - but I think the cards would blur together a bit incoherently when laid out in a spread. It would be kind of a shame to lose the sly text you've come up with provisionally, but i can understand why you would want to do that. "M'arse," indeed! (Now I will never be able to use a TdM again without thinking this . . . :))

blue_fusion

Now I'm thinking maybe I could release a the pun version in business card size. IF I can think of enough wordplay to cover all the cards! *dies*

On that note, here's card XIII. "Why stick to one when..." see attached.

An alternative title would be L'Arcane sans... Serif, done in a very tame Arial font. :D *dodges produce projectiles*

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 323

tarot heart

These are magnificent Blue Fusion! I can't decide which I like better amongst the three!!

The middle one is certainly beautiful, but more feminine I think.

They each seem different in their own way. Why not do one of each? :)

If you run out of titles, you could always ask for help. I'm sure many will come to assist.

Please don't change the title. There's a reason that title popped into your head so please keep it. Please? I want a M'arse Marseille really bad!!!

I LOVE the decks and the title and I would buy all three without question.

I am watching this thread for when you finish. I finally have something to look forward to
in tarot this year!

Thank you!! :heart:

tarot heart

Now I'm thinking maybe I could release a the pun version in business card size. IF I can think of enough wordplay to cover all the cards! *dies*

On that note, here's card XIII. "Why stick to one when..." see attached.

An alternative title would be L'Arcane sans... Serif, done in a very tame Arial font. :D *dodges produce projectiles*

La Mort...le merrier?

BRILLIANT! I WANT IT NOW!!!!