Kenneth Anger films and Thoth deck

Freddie

Greetings All,

I find myself to be quite a fan of Indie types of filmwork and one filmaker that I like is Kennth Anger. I know much of his subject matter is dark and 'out there', but his work is beautiful and he really understands colour..light and shadows..etc. Anyways, I find some of his imagery to resemble the Thoth deck, in particular his 'Invocation of my Demon Brother' and 'Lucifer Rising'.

His films are on You Tube, but I warn you they are not for the faint hearted. DO NOT watch any of them if you upset easily.

Any opinions of this all?

Freddie

Freddie

Tzadkiel said:
Hi Freddie,

as far as I know - and it seems obvious if you watch Kenneth' films - he was very much into Crowley, Thelema, Magick etc.

Have a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV89WCXgFhI&feature=related - where Kenneth talks about being inspired by Crowley's work.

Chris
Thanks for this Tzadkiel. I feel Anger has been made into kind of a beast due to the media, but really is more a revolutionary than anything else. Like A.C. he is depicted in the media as some kind of boogey-man due to his connections with the Manson family and Anton Lavey (and some other infamous people...he pissed alot of the Hollywood people off with 'Hollywood Babylon' I know most of James Deans' family and friends in fact his closest friend ws/is Bill Bast partner of Paul Huson...yes the tarot dude... I don't know Paul though) lol... Anger has a thing for Mr. Dean for sure, but much in the social sense like he seems to for Crowley...rebels who pave new paths for themselves. I'm not gay or bisexual, but I can relate to his feelings of being on the outer fringes of society, when you live a truthful life this is what seems to happen (in my humble opinion anyway). I know people that know Kenneth so I know he is not a black magic serial killer lol... in fact I've been told he has an agenda against what he considers low grade trashy people like groupies, lie abouts, and hangers on etc.

Thanks for sharing that interview,

Freddie

isthmus nekoi

I love Anger's earlier works, but the last of couple films I would not recommend except for more historical/academic interest e.g. you are really curious about Aleister Crowley's artwork in The Man We'd Like to Hang. Can't remember if that's the exact title, something like that.

He is an incredible film maker, and he makes gorgeous use of colour, light and music. I think you can see some this influence in David Lynch's Blue Velvet and that's something Anger's pointed out before. My fave is Scorpio Rising (Kenneth's rising sign as well - no surprize...) He's a bit of a ham. I saw him at a film retrospective in Toronto, still flirting with the young twinks who came lol.

Freddie

I cannot believe in link on this thread Anger says that Thelema is for men and Wicca is for women. That is quite a bold statement and he could get lyched around here for that lol...

Freddie

Lillie

Nah, he's right of course.

Now Kat can give in to her inner wicca girl and put on pretty dresses and dance around a tree...

:D

Freddie

Lillie said:
Nah, he's right of course.

Now Kat can give in to her inner wicca girl and put on pretty dresses and dance around a tree...

:D

Lol... I love your posts Lillie!!!!

Freddie

Always Wondering

Freddie said:
I cannot believe in link on this thread Anger says that Thelema is for men and Wicca is for women. That is quite a bold statement and he could get lyched around here for that lol...

Freddie

He says Thelema is solar, and women were allowed in, but if they wanted a Lunar system they should join Wicca. I have no problem with that, except maybe the word allow. I can't speak for back then, but I needed no one's permission to call myself a Thelemite.

AW

ravenest

Freddie said:

Freddie
Oh thats an oldie, also ritual magick is for men and witchcraft is for women. magician / witch . I thought it died out in the 80's?

Grigori

Thanks Freddie

I've heard him mentioned often but never watched any of his films. Watched a few the last couple of days, they were interesting. I didn't find them much in the way of disturbing, except of course that one about Mickey Mouse, Disney's cartoon mouse really unsettles me :D

Invocation of my Demon Brother has Crowley references and images everywhere, though apparently no demon brothers :(