Whats the best way to come to Thelema?

Professor X

What prompts me to ask this question is this. I saw a Youtube video on how a satanist delcared her loyalty to Satan by making a pact with Satan when she was 13 years old.

Is there something similar one should do if they want to become a Thelemite?
I just got my own little copy of the Book of Law, since I have read Book 4 I already read it but I needed my own personal copy of it so I can always carry one with me as I go out rather than having to look at the one in Book 4.

After carefully reading the Book of Law once again I see that Thelema is definitely for me, all the principles of it resonate completely with me. Plus I see more and more in the Book of Law as I read it again and again, it is truly a profound work.

I dont know of any Thelemic organizations in my area,joining groups like that is just not my thing,if I can find one that is suitable one day then maybe,but until then I am content to study alone. I would assume from my studies thus far that my mere will to learn more about the teaching has already qualified me to be a thelemite,especially since "do as thou wilt" is the whole of the law.

Even with that is there some ritual or activity I can do to for further spiritual clarification even if it is just on a symbolic level. I suppose it is really a personal thing. If anyone has any recommendations or ideas on this matter I would certainly like to hear them.

On another note I have discovered on the Thelemic links section a site that has the entire Equinox on it WHAT A FIND! I will definitely be printing it out and binding it so I can eventually get to it and read it once I get done with what I am studying at the present time.

Milfoil

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Essentially, follow your gut instinct. If you want to light a candle, kneel, bow, prostrate yourself, meditate, dance, sing, write or otherwise, it will be right and acceptable. What matters is what you believe to be honest and right.

Always Wondering

Have you read Liber XV, The Gnostic Mass?
http://hermetic.com/sabazius/gnostic_mass.htm
There are videos of it online.

I like the Speech in the Silence podcasts, they kind of gives me a community feel. http://speechinthesilence.com/

If you are up to a new book I would reccomend Initiation in the Aeon of the Child, by J. Daniel Gunther. This book really helps me understand the Book of Law. http://www.amazon.com/Initiation-Aeon-Child-Inward-Journey/dp/0892541458

If you are wanting more on Thelemic Ritual you might like, The Magick of Aleister Crowley by Lon Milo DuQuete. http://www.amazon.com/Magick-Aleist...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279059341&sr=1-1-spell .

AW

ravenest

Professor X said:
What prompts me to ask this question is this. I saw a Youtube video on how a satanist delcared her loyalty to Satan by making a pact with Satan when she was 13 years old.

Ermmmm, thats not really necassary :laugh:
Professor X said:
Just accept that you are one if you think so. None can say nay. If they do, do what I do; "Well, I said I was a Thelemite .... I never said I was a GOOD Thelemite."
Professor X said:
Even with that is there some ritual or activity I can do to for further spiritual clarification even if it is just on a symbolic level. I suppose it is really a personal thing. If anyone has any recommendations or ideas on this matter I would certainly like to hear them.

Thelemites who choose liturgical expression affirm this in the Gnostic mass - but you dont need to to be a church member to be a Thelemite:

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.

And I believe in the Serpent and the Lion, Mystery of Mystery, in His name BAPHOMET.

And I believe in one Gnostic and Catholic Church of Light, Life, Love and Liberty, the Word of whose Law is THELÊMA.

And I believe in the communion of Saints.

And, forasmuch as meat and drink are transmuted in us daily into spiritual substance, I believe in the Miracle of the Mass.

And I confess one Baptism of Wisdom whereby we accomplish the Miracle of Incarnation.

And I confess my life one, individual, and eternal that was, and is, and is to come.

- But thats for the mass and church member ... there's also the Collects from the Mass.

Grigori

Professor X said:

There is no god but man.

So you just have to tell yourself and that is it :D No goat headed boogie man you need to pledge yourself to for acceptance.

If you wanted to join a Thelemic order like the OTO or AA, then they have initiation rituals, but to say "I'm a Thelemite" you just have to decide for yourself.

Aeon418

Professor X said:
I don't think "should" enters into it. There's nothing anyone should do, but there are lots of things anyone can do.

Here's something you can do, but it is by no means obligatory or even necessary. Do what thou wilt.
Thelemic Self-Initiation Ritual

In a private room, clear of clutter, set up an altar in the center of the space with a candle, incense and a copy of The Book of the Law. Perform the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram or, if one hasn't learned this spell yet, say in a loud voice of command: "Hekas, Hekas, estai Bebeloi." (This means, "Away, away, all uninitiated.")

Light the candle and incense and knock once on the altar top to open the temple. Take a moment to pause, take a few deep breaths, relax and focus the mind. Take The Book of the Law from the altar and read aloud one chapter of your choice with intention. Hold the expectation that new insights will be given to you during this reading, but do not actively try to generate them during the recitation. Remain receptive and open to whatever spontaneous intuitions arise. When finished, replace The Book of the Law on the altar, knock once and say the oath: "I, [insert name or personal magical motto], do hereby swear to discover my True Will; and to do my True Will and do nothing else."

Formulate a strong personal commitment to carry out this oath. If the ritual began with the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram perform it again. Knock once on the altar to close the temple and extinguish the candle.

Professor X

Thank you all for the advice. The good thing about Thelema is that you have the freedom to persue your spirituality in whatever way you see fit,you can mold your own growth and progress. There is no external deity telling you that you have to do things a certain way,thats why religious types cannot grasp Thelema. They are too used to accepting external control by so called leaders of whatever group they are in. They cannot handle not being controlled by something or someone.

Perhaps I will seek further expression to signify my choice to fully accept Thelema. For now reading and studying the Book of Law seems to be causing enough of a spiritual effect to keep propelling me forward. Chapter 3 is especially powerful and I have been focusing on that recently,the manifestation of Ra Hoor Khuit is something not to be trifled around with.

Aeon418

Professor X said:
Chapter 3 is especially powerful and I have been focusing on that recently,the manifestation of Ra Hoor Khuit is something not to be trifled around with.
One useful way to approach the more violent aspects of chapter III is to view it as the essential spirit of the pre-adept work. It is war with the inertia of the elemental self, that will drag you down unless you stand your ground and fight. (AL III:4-9) Mercy and pity won't help you in the battle (AL III:18) as you struggle with your own ill ordered house (your self). The work may become distasteful and is not entirely risk free. Ra-Hoor-Khu is with thee. (AL III:11)

When considering the god RHK it is helpful to study Atu XVI The Tower (War) and Atu VIII Adjustment (Vengeance). As the tutelary deity symbolic of the True Will he is an energizing and balancing force, provided you are in alignment with him. ;) If there are blockages to the True Will then he appears destructive and his means of balancing the scales is Geburah (see the 5's of Tarot).

Professor X

I have a couple of general questions about the Book of Law. If anyone has any input I would be interested in reading it.

1. If you have ever read the Key Of Solomon you will notice that certain sigils and conjurations use certain bible verses in them to produce a certain effect.
Can the same be done with the Book of Law verses. I would imagine you could so if you desired. Im not implying that the BOL is a Bible but rather if different parts can be utilized in occult practices in a similar way.

2. Do certain verses have affinity with the qualities of the different planets,from what I have seen thus far I would say so. I would imagine you could use certain things to get intuned with planetary energies.

Bitter Almond

Ultimately, just read the book and follow it to the best of your ability. Thelema isn't anywhere near as different from any other religion as it's made out to be. "Do what thou wilt" is just another way of saying "Do what you believe is right".