Blue Oyster Cult -Thoth album cover

Freddie

Greeting All,

I am currently working on a Tarot for Men project that is focused on Classic Rock music. I have had this album since the 70's and never noticed the cards in the magicians' hands. I always assumed it was a TDM deck, but discovered when watching this You Tube clip that the deck he is holding is indeed the Thoth deck. I think it is cool and wonder if the band asked for the cards on the cover. Damn I wanted to be the guy on this album cover so badly and have some girl singing how I'm a Magic man (another song I'm using for this project) lol.... Please take me back I cannot connect with current popular music.

I have always loved this album and this is one of those album covers I used to gaze into for hours Like Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Heart Little Queen, Led Zepplin Zozo gatefold). I won't go into gazing at Linda Ronstadt with 'Hasten Down The Wind'...you classic rockers know what I'm talking about lol...

So here is one of the BEST classic rock songs ever '(Don't Fear) The Reaper' with it's lyrics included for you enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89QY3S_srI

Freddie

fyreflye

I've never bought a Blue Oyster Cult album, but I've heard that song somewhere before. However, 1976 is a little late for "Classic Rock," though I suppose the term really refers to whatever music we listened to as teenagers. M-m-m-m-y generation's view is that classic rock ended the year the Beatles broke up :D
But getting to your real point: since no actual card version of Lady Harris' images was published before 1978, how could this deck be on the cover of an LP issued in 1976? Or is this the cover of a reissue?

Cerulean

Sorry Fyreflye, there were a few Thoths...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=640074&postcount=3

One of my light blue bordered Llewellyn Thoths with the gold insert box and white cover box has the date stamp from the collector of September 21, 1976.

I would like to know which Thoth!

My Weiser light blue Thoth doesn't have a date, but the late 60's seemed right.

Still you are right, it would be a very rare deck then!

I wonder how the Blue Oyster Cult got a hold of one...perhaps they were near Weiser in New York?

Best,

Cerulean

Cerulean

Detail only--graphic resembles Thoth

Here's a detail of the four 'cards' depicted.

The Album Cover I saw this detail was "Agents of Fortune".

Was that what people remember from their 1970's collections?

Cerulean

Attachments

• bocdetail.jpg
    bocdetail.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,794

Freddie

fyreflye said:
I've never bought a Blue Oyster Cult album, but I've heard that song somewhere before. However, 1976 is a little late for "Classic Rock," though I suppose the term really refers to whatever music we listened to as teenagers. M-m-m-m-y generation's view is that classic rock ended the year the Beatles broke up :D
But getting to your real point: since no actual card version of Lady Harris' images was published before 1978, how could this deck be on the cover of an LP issued in 1976? Or is this the cover of a reissue?

Hi fyreflye

It's is painting by artist Lynn Curlee and it is on the original 1976 album cover. I did some research and found out that tyhe bands drummer asked for the tarot cards in the picture, if he asked for Thoth..I don't know.

I think everyone has their own ideas about who and what time frame 'classic rock' describes. Rock and roll is a fun subject to debate though lol...the different generations all have their owns notions lol...

Freddie

Freddie

Cerulean said:
Here's a detail of the four 'cards' depicted.

The Album Cover I saw this detail was "Agents of Fortune".

Was that what people remember from their 1970's collections?

Cerulean

That's the one Cerulean. I think album art was quite important to rock fans 'back in the day', because we didn't have Mtv and things like that.

Freddie