No-thingness for why someone stayed with someone....

214red

Hey,
was doing an ex spread from the spread forum and in position "why he stayed with her" it came up with No-thingness from the Osho Zen taror deck.

the rest of the cards i understand, but i cant understand what this card meant to say?
can anyone with the same deck help? i tried looking under the IDS for this card and it didnt help me.

thanks in advance for anyone who can shed a bit of light on this

lark

He stayed in the relationship because he felt life would be a void without it.
No-thingness is nothing and everything...no-thing is what you have before you chose form...and he chose to stay in the relationship and conform around the limitations/expansion of that form/relationship.
He feels at this time it's what he needs, to play out the form he has chosen...or in other words a model or ideal for his relationship life.

214red

lark said:
He stayed in the relationship because he felt life would be a void without it.
No-thingness is nothing and everything...no-thing is what you have before you chose form...and he chose to stay in the relationship and conform around the limitations/expansion of that form/relationship.
He feels at this time it's what he needs, to play out the form he has chosen...or in other words a model or ideal for his relationship life.
hmm didnt think of it like that, i find this card fairly hard to work out.
so really he wanted it for convenience?

lark

Maybe convenience maybe also fear...to go into no-thingness can be a little scary...you have to chose a form again...re-invent yourself....maybe he just isn't ready to do that and so he stayed.

caridwen

From what I understand of Zen (which is a Japanese form of Buddhism, right?) Nothingness means All is Nothing.

This may sound cryptic but bear with me...:p

According to Dao - Nothingness is the most sought after state of being.

Water is the best example here. Water is passive yet wears away mountains. Water follows the path of least resistence.

Hmmm maybe I'll use another example...:rolleyes:

A full pot can do nothing but overflow. It is better to contain nothing than to hold onto something. It is better to let go than hold on. It is better to go with the flow.

Is this making any sense whatsoever because I know exactly what I mean but can't seem to express it!

Another example, a closed fist contains nothing but a fist yet an open palm holds the world.

It's probably the hardest thing in the world to do because we instinctively cling to that we know, to that we love, to that we have. Yet Zen or Dao teaches to let go. To have nothing is to have everything.

This involves sacrifice of what we love in order to gain something potentially better. The state of nothingness is the leap the Fool takes over the cliff. It is full of potential.

Certain Buddhist sects ask you to shave your head. Our hair is our crowning glory yet it is also a symbol of vanity. To let go of something so precious is to gain something immeasurable.

Something empty can be filled, something full can only be emptied.

Does that help?:laugh:

As an extra thought - is this card advice to you?;)

lark

So in the spirit of caridwen's post....214red if this is someone who you want to leave someone else and be with you and he chose No-thingness...that choice may also be to free you.
And in the freeing allows your heart emptiness...and only then the possibility exsists for it being filled with love by another...

If the reading was for a friend the same applies.

214red

okay i think i am getting there, your both being very helpful and patient....

the question as part of the spread was "why did he stay in the relationship" and No-thingness came out as an answer.

Its an old relationship and has no desire to go back but she wanted clarity for closure. my friend is the she in the relatationship, sorry should have made that clear
so you have clarified the meaning for me, but not in answer to the question. did he stay because he didnt want to conform and wanted to be free?

lark

I think i'm confused.

Did the person stay in the relationship with her and she wants to know why he did that?

Or was he in a relationship with another and he stayed in that relationship instead of leaving it and being with her?

caridwen

lark said:
So in the spirit of caridwen's post....214red if this is someone who you want to leave someone else and be with you and he chose No-thingness...that choice may also be to free you.
And in the freeing allows your heart emptiness...and only then the possibility exsists for it being filled with love by another...

If the reading was for a friend the same applies.

Please forgive me for busting in here as I know Nothing about this deck!:rolleyes:

Yet I noted that this card is Number Five - man what a lesson!!!!!! I suggest you do some pathworking with the Tree of Life which has similarities with Dao.

This card contains the infinite yet in order to gain Everything you have to Let Go. It's such a difficult lesson and many never ever grasp it.

By letting go you open yourself to Love, to Life, to the Universe. You will cling and cling and cling because you are stuck in a quagmire. In order to get out of this you have to let go and find peace with that letting go. It is a form of initiation. It is possibly the most rewarding thing you will ever do and the most difficult. Some may consider it a weakness or a form of defeat and others may never understand it at all.

It is a gateway card. It is a kind of severance with everything that has gone before.

I'm not sure why this person decided to stay with their partner and that is something you are being asked to find peace with. The path they have chosen is their own, maybe they were clinging to something else and decided to finally let go and take that leap.

caridwen

214red said:
okay i think i am getting there, your both being very helpful and patient....

the question as part of the spread was "why did he stay in the relationship" and No-thingness came out as an answer.

Its an old relationship and has no desire to go back but she wanted clarity for closure. my friend is the she in the relatationship, sorry should have made that clear
so you have clarified the meaning for me, but not in answer to the question. did he stay because he didnt want to conform and wanted to be free?

That makes sense.

What I understand is, she was standing in a clearing.

She is at a doorway or gateway. In order to move forward she needed to let go of the past. In order to let go of the past she needed to understand what had gone before.

I think he stayed because the relationship, for him, was a lesson he needed to learn. In order to understand himself he needed to bond with another. He needed to make a commitment, begin a fools' journey. I imagine his relationship with this woman was a way of avoiding commitment, he was stuck between the two as your querent was. He decided to take that leap and commit to one and in order to do that he had to let go of everything he had known before.

Does that make any sense?