Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom

Elle

Many people here have given this book a good revue (title above), so I thought I should have it in my collection.

Anything specific anyone wants to point out from it? Any "target" points the author has made that have always stuck with you? I have to do a reading tonight, but I really just want to cozy up with Pollack for the evening...

Warmest,

Elle

Morganna

I just got this book from Amazon today. What I've read so far is amazing - I'm glad I got an oversized Rider-Waite deck a few years ago because I can really see the detail she goes into so thoroughly (and my eyes aren't what they used to be!)

I should have read this book years ago!

Elle

78 Degrees

Me too. I'm up to page 58: The Lovers.

Have fun reading!

Warmest,

Elle

Morganna

I just got up to the Lovers last night. Since I have been reading with the Rider-Waite for many years now, it is really giving me a fresh perspective on it reading the "evolution" of each card (more or less).

Elle

Yeah - it is like a reawakening to each card. Pollack discusses all of the symbolism and history of each card, which is interesting. Helps you get to know even more about the cards; a deeper, richer take on them.

Warmest,

Elle

galadrielsphial

So is this book written specifically for the Rider-Waite deck, or can it be used for any deck? Wondering because I don't own R-W, but I have heard nothing but praise for this book, so I was thinking of getting it.

Thanks! :)

HudsonGray

Read it slow, you have to absorb things in this one. I skipped the first few sections after skimming them (will go back later) and went directly to the section on the majors & minors.

shy1433

Thanks for the information on the book, I am going out now and see if our book store will order it in.

Shy

MSPSYCHOMAGNET

I have read this book and I do not like it.

Ms. Pollack covers the Major Arcana in depth, however most of her intepretations and commentary are taken in light of the Kaballah, which is the collective knowledge of Jewish mysticism and occult knowlege, secondarily, she makes many connections to Biblical images and concepts. I personally, believe that learning such systems, especially as a beginner, will lend little to your talents or understanding as a reader.

As for the Minor Arcana, Ms. Pollack's treament is uneven, and I personally question some of her interpretations. Some of the minor arcana are discussed in depth, and some are barely covered at all.

IMO - she should have produced this volume covering the Major Arcana only. And worked on a second volume which covers the Minor Arcana, as I feel that her attention to the Minor Arcana is somewhat of a work in progress.

I would only recommend this book to someone after they have been practicing the tarot with success and feel that they have the fundamental concepts down pat. As far as an adjunct to one's tarot journey, it is a fine book. And if one choses to apply the Kaballah to their interpretations of the tarot, then it is fine for that purpose as well.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly disagree with the many people who consider this the "Classic Tarot Bible".

Good Luck!

lunaperse

actually it was first published as two seperate volumes (majors and few years later minors.)

now after saying that i find i have to agree with you to an extent , i did find the minors a bit thinly covered, a good complementary book to this is Isabel Kliegman's _Tarot and the Tree of Life_ (although as the name suggests it is Qabbalistically based - i wouldn't think you'd need to know much to read this but it's heavily informed)

I don't think tarot readers should really have any bible (unless it's one they write themselves) but i do find Pollack an interesting read.