Llewellyn's Tarot Reader

OakDragon

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this annual publication. I just read the blurb about the 2005 edition on Llewellyn's site and am curious if there was anything worthwhile in it for intermediate-and-up tarotists. Thanks.

Here's a link: http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/book.php?pn=J538

Jeannette

We don't stock much in the way of books at Tarot Garden, but the description of this particular title intrigued me enough that I actually ordered a few copies to have on hand. It is a rather nice, eclectic compilation of articles, and the book is pretty much what the title suggests: a "reader." It's something you can pick up to read and article or two before the lights go out, or have on hand for waits in the doctor's office, airport terminal etc.

In addition to articles by known names in the field on a variety of topics, there are also interesting little tidbits and reviews on several Llewellyn and Lo Scarabeo decks. The last section is devoted to some different tarot spreads.

If you need more specific info on the articles and authors included in this volume, just post to let me know.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

inanna_tarot

grooooovy

WOW! That looks really good!
I have a personal thing with Llewellyn for some of its Wiccan and other Magick related texts (as in I dont tend to like them :p) but this seems really worth the money and its relatively cheap!!
Definately going on my to-buy list :) I'm not really interested in the planner side of it, partly because i dont plan at all lol, but the articles sound well worth the read and because i dont tend to read much in the way of tarot books at the mo i think it'll be rather refreshing than all the 'the meaning of this card is..' stuff.

Cheers for the heads up!

Sezo
x

Phantom Goddess

I have the Tarot Reader. I bought it the moment I saw it at Books-A-Million. I haven't read through it yet, but I've skimmed it, its really interesting worth the money. Is this the first volume of it?

lunalafey

It's interesting to see what people are saying about this publication. I have been quite interested in it since I saw it.
This is the first Tarot Annual for Llewellyn, great opprotunity for any tarotholic, to have one from every single year. (And just like AT)- Each annual for years to come should never be lacking in new material.

OakDragon

Phantom Goddess said:
I have the Tarot Reader. I bought it the moment I saw it at Books-A-Million. I haven't read through it yet, but I've skimmed it, its really interesting worth the money. Is this the first volume of it?

What a coincidence. I just saw this book at the mall today at Books-a-Million (Orange Park Mall) and decided to get it since it is pretty cheap (also picked up the Tarot of the New Vision, which had a price reduction, apparently). I'll let everyone know what I think when I've had a chance to take a look at it.

inanna_tarot

*sitting here, twiddling her thumbs, waiting for OakDragon's review of the book*

Oh btw, what sort of binding is it? It is one of those spiral notebook type ones that Llewellyn do?

Thanks
Sezo
x

OakDragon

inanna_tarot said:
*sitting here, twiddling her thumbs, waiting for OakDragon's review of the book*

Oh btw, what sort of binding is it? It is one of those spiral notebook type ones that Llewellyn do?

Thanks
Sezo
x

No, it's a standard paperback-style binding. A little larger than a typical paperback... sort of the small press paperpack size, if you know what I mean. 5 x 8" or so, approximately, though I don't have a ruler handy right now.

OakDragon

Overview

Perusing the table of contents:

The book is divided into six sections. Interspersed throughout the book are pages entitled "A Closer Look At [Deck Name]". They're basically one-page summaries of facts about a tarot deck, with small pictures of a few of the cards. The reproductions of the cards in this book are all black and white (greyscale). There are also occasional black and white line drawings throughout the book to accompany the text. I'll list the Closer Looks last.

1. "The Fool: Tools for the Journey" (my impression is that these are beginner-level essays)

a. The Birth of the Tarot, by Mary K. Greer
b. Learning Tarot: A Manageable Approach, by Elizabeth Genco
c. A Meditation for the Majors, by Ruth Ann and Wald Amberstone
d. Those Darned Court Cards, by Thalassa
e. Your Daily Inspiration, by Elizabeth Genco
f. A New View: Reversals, by Mary K. Greer
g. Rider-Waite and Company, by Joan Cole
h. Test the Tarot, by Mark McElroy

2. ""The Magician: Practical Applications" (intermediate-level?)

a. Finding Your Voice, by Nina Lee Braden
b. Spice Up Your Romance Readings, by Corrine Kenner
c. Value-Added Tarot, by Bonnie Cehovet
d. The Four-Week Forecast Spread, by Elizabeth Hazel
e. Energetic Readings, by Janina Renee
f. Reading for Children: 12 Tips, by Corinne Kenner
g. Tarot and Astrology, by Christine Jette
h. The Meta Celtic Cross, by Kevin Quigley

3. "The Wheel of Fortune: 2005 Almanac"

This section is basically a weekly planner. Each page consists of one week and there is space for writing notes in for each day. The sign moon is in is also listed for each day, as well as the time the moon enters the sign, where applicable and the time when each moon phase is at it's height (did I say that right?). Holidays are also listed, including Jewish holidays, Mardi Gras, Kwaanzaa, etc. and some pagan celebrations, like Imbolc, Mabon, etc. (All? I'm not familiar enough with them to be able to tell.) This calendar actually includes all dates from Dec. 26, 2004 to Jan. 7, 2006. At the end of the section, is a one-page calendar of 2006.

4. "The Hermit: For Further Study" (advanced essays?)

a. Tarot and Dreams, by Diane Wilkes
b. Comparative Tarot, by Bonnie Cehovet
c. Walking the Labyrinth, by James Wells
d. A Mabon Tarot Ritual, by Nina Lee Braden
e. Working Without Cards, by Janina Renee
f. Giving From The Heart, by Valerie Sim
g. Business Cards, by Mark McElroy
h. Tarot Journaling, by Winter Wren
i. Rainy-Day Tarot Projects, by Thalassa

5. "Judgment: Deck Reviews" (just what it says)

a. The Fey Tarot, reviewed by Diane Wilkes
b. The Tarot of Prague, reviewed by Errol McLendon
c. The Winged Spirit Tarot, reviewed by Elizabeth Hazel
d. The Victoria Regina Tarot, reviewed by Diane Wilkes
e. Medieval Enchantment: The Nigel Jackson Tarot, reviewed by Errol McLendon

6. "The World: Spreads" (also just what it says; the lesser-known spreads here are apparently taken from various tarot books (Llewellyn books, I assume) One page is dedicated to each spread.)

a. The Celtic Cross
b. The Horoscope Spread
c. The Horseshoe Spread
d. The Snapshot Spread
e. The Choices Spread
f. Dark Goddess Spread
g. Pyramid of Consciousness Spread
h. Career Spread
i. Elemental Cross Spread
j. The Fork in the Road Spread
k. The Four Seasons Spread
l. The Hanged Man Spread
m. Internet Romance Spread
n. Mystic Pyramid
o. Crossroads Spread

The "Closer Looks":

1. The Buddha Tarot
2. Ship of Fools Tarot
3. Golden Dawn Magical Tarot
4. Legend: The Arthurian Tarot
5. Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot
6. The Tarot of Oz
7. Tarot of the Saints
8. The Shining Tribe Tarot
9. The World Spirit Tarot

The last six pages of the book are left blank so you can add your own notes about what you read.

Now, off to read the book! :D