'What is Tarot?' in Newspaper

uwe

He also stated..
[...it should be noted that, there is no empirical evidence of any psychic phenomena or of any therapeutic benefits of Tarot card readings.]

According to whom? I am sure that the members of this forum would
disagree with that sweeping statement.

gregory

uwe said:
He also stated..
[...it should be noted that, there is no empirical evidence of any psychic phenomena or of any therapeutic benefits of Tarot card readings.]

According to whom? I am sure that the members of this forum would
disagree with that sweeping statement.
Indeed.... This one would, for a start. :D

And the mamluk cards are rather significant.

mythos

Has any research been done on the question of psychism and tarot as being therapeutic? If not, then the statement is correct. It doesn't mean that tarot isn't those things, it merely means that no evidence is available on which to base statements on the validity of tarot as a therapeutic tool or as having a relationship to psychism.

I've used tarot therapeutically, and could argue that it has value as therapy, but what I have not done is formulated an hypothesis, used it exclusively as therapy, used a control group with no therapy, and another group using an alternative like cognitive-behavioural, and then tested the hypothesis. Thus, my evidence is anecdotal and subjective. Again, it doesn't mean that tarot is not therapeutic ... I just can't prove it to be so ... or, more correctly test the hypothesis and find that it has a greater probability than chance that tarot is therapeutically valid and reliable.

We are talking about an article written for a very conservative forum ... thus, it is necessary (if one is to wash tarot of the taint of conservative misinformation), to write only what can be validated. Chipping away slowly .....!

mythos:)

Papageno

gregory said:
Indeed.... This one would, for a start. :D

And the mamluk cards are rather significant.

as they are beautiful

Fulgour

mythos said:
Has any research been done on the question of psychism and tarot as being therapeutic? If not, then the statement is correct.
Personality, Divination and the Tarot
by Carl Sargent

Inner Traditions, November 1988
ISBN 0892812192

Click on: "Compare Prices"

Ergo :) the statement is false. But it's Vegas, let it ride!

Mabuse

again, thanks people

I should mention this article was originally written for my gaming blog hence the large focus on gaming. The submission to a right wing pub was an afterthought, something I did when reading the Marsha West articles.
I noticed the "submit article" button on the site so I did so!
I've submitted the article to several other outlets as well.

On the topic of Tarot and psychology, I was addressing the Tarot's use in that field decoupled from any paranormal perspective. From what I understand of Carl Sargent, he is in fact, a parapsychologist. My knowledge of his work, outside of role playing games, I admit is sketchy.

gregory

Fair cop. But like Fulgour said.....

And it is a very good article (except for the grammar whoopsie.... signed: used to proofread for a living ! ;))

TenOfSwords

jmd said:
One recent article in a US News is worth reading, in my personal view, and shows again how Tarot is more broadly accepted than some seem to suggest:

Then again, reading the comments to the article does show that certain groups are rather hostile towards it and have little restraint in displaying that hostility openly:

Paul said in his wisdom, "...yet I would have you wise concerning that which is good, and simple concerning evil." Romans 16:19. We should not study about evil sorcery and divination. We are to see no evil, hear no evil, and do no evil. David said in the Psalms, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes," Psalm 101:3. The less we know about Satanic cards and practices, the better, for we won`t have the garbage bouncing around in our brains, taking up precious space from more important things. Divination is demon possession, as Paul cast the demon out of the woman possessed of the spirit of divination, in Acts 16:16-18. Paul M.

mythos

Fulgour said:
Personality, Divination and the Tarot
by Carl Sargent

Inner Traditions, November 1988
ISBN 0892812192

Click on: "Compare Prices"

Ergo :) the statement is false. But it's Vegas, let it ride!

Thanks Fulgour! You are, as always, a wealth of information. This is a book now added to my must-read list!

mythos:)

Fulgour

hit me

Mabuse said:
On the topic of Tarot and psychology, I was addressing the Tarot's use in that field decoupled from any paranormal perspective. From what I understand of Carl Sargent, he is in fact, a parapsychologist.
:OL TIE goes to the DEALER :OL