New book ~ Secret Language of the Tarot.....opinions?

6 Haunted Days

It's arrived! At 1.30a you say? :laugh: Well I came home from shopping and running errands at 9p tonight, and there was of course no packages on the porch. All I had gotten today was the Celtic Wisdom Tarot.

But an hour ago I went out for a breath of fresh air, and there sits a package. Always lovely to get books turning up on your porch in the middle of the night!

Anyways, read a bit of it.....it certainly seems to be a fascinating read. They do specifically mention that the symbols are ones that are common with most decks and symbols that are prevalent in our lives.

So it certainly seems the lessons and teachings in this book can be used with many other decks and as well just generally.

Very anxious to get started reading it!

Scarlet27

Looks truly interesting, and since I use the RWS quite often, it's also useful for me. I'd love to buy it =)
Well... maybe in my next Amazon purchase.
Thanks for the tip, I'd never seen that book before.

mac22

The book looks to be an outgrowth of their very excellent Tarot Course. I took the course and would say it is well worth the time & investment. BTW I did order the book :)

Mac22

owlsdaughter

Although I rarely read with a strictly R-W-S deck anymore, I am finding the Amberstone's new book an outstanding, and much-needed resource.

While you can find all kinds of symbol encyclopedias, few are specifically for Tarot people. And let's face it -- most of the decks on the market today are derivative of the R-W-S system, even if the artwork and symbolism is radically different.

So, I find this book to be incredibly useful in a number of ways.

I think they have done an amazing job of weaving together Qabbala, freemasonry lore, Tarot history, alchemy and history in a very readable, understandable format.

Ruth Ann and Wald are consummate teachers, so they present their information in a format that makes the book, not just a text of scholarship, but a valuable teaching tool.

In fact, even if your decks of choice do not include lilies, roses, pillars, crowns, etc., this book offers rich new ways of understanding and appreciating the importance of symbols in general.

It is a breath of fresh air and understanding that, as both a teacher myself, and a long-time practitioner, I am delighted to receive.
- Beth Owl

Aerin

OK, have the book now.

I learnt on the RWS and clones, and am really glad I bought the book. If nothing else it provides useful background to some of the cards and triggers ideas as to addiional meanings that lie within. Even though I don't use my RWS much now, it still gives me additional insights into my decks and ways of working with symbols.

I would be interested to know if a Marseilles or Thoth reader found the book useful. I can't speak for them as they aren't my primary decks.

Aerin

missy

Beginner or advanced?

Hello, as I am a beginner, but very interested in anything that the Amberstones do, I am wondering if this book would be right for me.

If a tarot book is too advanced, I don't seem to be ready for that next level. I find my eyes glaze over and I can't follow it unless it is simply and succinctly written. I don't have a background in freemasonry concepts or Kabbala, etc. and don't feel quite ready to go there. I am still learning basic concepts.

Would this book still be useful for me and open up new avenues for me, or should I skip it until I reach a more advanced level?

Are most of the people buying and enjoying this book beginners or advanced?

Thank you for your thoughts. I have really enjoyed the Amberstones' "Tarot Tips."

mac22

missy_ said:
Hello, as I am a beginner, but very interested in anything that the Amberstones do, I am wondering if this book would be right for me.

If a tarot book is too advanced, I don't seem to be ready for that next level. I find my eyes glaze over and I can't follow it unless it is simply and succinctly written. I don't have a background in freemasonry concepts or Kabbala, etc. and don't feel quite ready to go there. I am still learning basic concepts.

Would this book still be useful for me and open up new avenues for me, or should I skip it until I reach a more advanced level?

Are most of the people buying and enjoying this book beginners or advanced?

Thank you for your thoughts. I have really enjoyed the Amberstones' "Tarot Tips."

This book is excellent for both the beginners & advanced students.

Mac22

missy

Thank you, Mac22, for your input. I met Wald years ago when I lived in NYC. He did a reading for me and was amazing! That man is truly gifted with the cards.

mac22

missy_ said:
Thank you, Mac22, for your input. I met Wald years ago when I lived in NYC. He did a reading for me and was amazing! That man is truly gifted with the cards.

I took their correspondence course & felt it very worthwhile...I recommend it...:)

Mac22

missy

Thanks, Mac22. :) As far as my question about my eyes glazing over with advanced books and advanced concepts ... do you think the symbolism discussion will be too much for someone like me, or do the Amberstones keep it down-to-earth? Is this practical symbolism I can use? Thanks again for your input.

As to the correspondence course, is it reasonably priced? If so, I may have to add it to my wishlist!