Ace of cups as feelings

Grizabella

Some cards show a dove with an olive branch above the overflowing cup, so I find it hard to identify that with a negative emotion unless the card were seen as reversed or,of course, if you actually do use reversals and the card presents itself reversed.

As others have said, the Ace holds the potential of the Cups suit while the 2 of Cups is more about two people, whether boyfriend/girlfriend or two friends of the same sex or relatives or any other combination of two people.

septemberwitch

Hi Grisabella

that's an interesting point Grisabella. Cuz the dove does represent peace. So I wonder why I got the impression it could be any emotion? However, maybe sometimes pouring out emotions even negative ones can lead to and understanding between two people which also brings about peace? Just a thought?

SunChariot

Well the 2 of Cups is the love card. So, yes to me it talks about love. That may well be the ONLY Minors card that I know the meaning of. In fact I am sure it is. LOL

The Ace of Cups...Cups are about feelings. The Aces are to me about the element of the suit in it's purest undilluted form.

While the 2 to me is about love. The Ace can be talking about any feeling or emotion. It does not specify love. But it does say to me that the feeling that is present (hopefully the other cards in the reading or the card image will help narrow down which feeling it is talking about) is there in its purest form.

It could be a pure feeling of trust, untainted by any worries or fears.

It could be a pure love that is so strong that nothing can harm or dillute it.

It could just as easily be a feeling of pure mistrust that does not diminish even when the other has repeatedly shown themselves trustworthy....maybe someone was so hurt in the past that they are too afraid to let go and trust again.

But whatever feeling it is, it is there in its absolute purest form. What the person feels is the essence of that feeling, undiluted by any other feeling.

That's how I see it.

Babs

Bluezman

Ive never seen the Ace of Cups to by synonymous with anything negative. I use the Golden Tarot deck and in the card is shown with an angel with wings kneeling down, presenting a golden cup and a white dove flying over the cup/her. I've always seen/felt this card as being tied towards emotions, but emotions tied towards love. The cup is the outpouring of emotions, emotions that are of serene of love/peace, and I see the dove flying above that as a blessing. So all in all, we have an angel, holding a cup full of emotional love, peace, serenity, blessed by a white dove flying above.

In the sense of a relationship, id say, remember having high school crushes? Those feelings involved? Its that, times 10. Not just some everyday fling, some everyday interest. A crush where your heart opens up and unveils such emotions of love that bring you that peace/serenity to you as a whole in reference to what I mentioned above.

SunChariot

Grizabella said:
Some cards show a dove with an olive branch above the overflowing cup, so I find it hard to identify that with a negative emotion unless the card were seen as reversed or,of course, if you actually do use reversals and the card presents itself reversed.

As others have said, the Ace holds the potential of the Cups suit while the 2 of Cups is more about two people, whether boyfriend/girlfriend or two friends of the same sex or relatives or any other combination of two people.

Depends on the deck of course, I don't have any currently wtih a dove and olive branch. But if I did if the card came up in that deck it would be about peaceful happy feelings. The card image of course will help fill in the rest.

Babs

SweetSiren

I like this thread! I came here looking for Ace of Cups as feelings, as I've never seen this card in such a way. For me, I always saw it as a card that carried a tone for the overall reading, and I interpreted it as having some sort of kindly affinity with whatever was being read about. In the most vague way, I saw it as overall good vibes.

But now I want to see it in a new way and focus on what the Ace might mean as feelings. It's quite the can of worms. What are their feelings? Well... Feelings says the Ace lol.

A previous poster mentioned whatever the feeling is, it's in pure form. I like that, and I think is important to keep in mind. I think Aces do carry the message of being absolutely sure of something. I like em; they're potent.

But what the heck can you gather from a card that is a basic representation of emotion when you ask a question about emotions? It's like... Something is there, but what? Could it simply mean that you (querant, the topic of the reading, etc) really gets to the person, the one feeling the emotions? I think it'd be accurate to say that whoever is feeling the ace of cups feels a lot of things, but I think the ace here describes the relationship between the subject and the one experiencing. The subject cuts to the core of this person, lays them bare. The subject embodies a direct channel to this person's gut (that place of emotion you just trust knows more than your conscious self). I think the ace here describes an almost spiritual connection the person doesn't really understand themselves. the subject pulls out of them parts they didn't even know they had within them.

Just some thoughts. I'd like to see if anyone has anything new to say about this card!

RusticReconstruction

for me, feelings are an emotional response. like sweet siren I too never acknowledged that aspect of the Ace of Cups; which for me usually represents a Holy Grail of sorts.

i also agree with the earlier posters who see this as an outpouring of emotions across the spectrum; the nature of which i assume would be clarified by the supporting cards in the spread.

as a holy grail card, the obvious correlation to the process of renewal is obvious and elicits a positive emotional response. However, when you also take into account the idea of an outpouring of the full spectrum of emotions, then you have to acknowledge that like the concept of Yin/Yang, the spectrum includes both conflict as well as elation.

this is deep stuff and my feeling is that although we prefer to view the concept of renewal as a realized iron clad ideal that guarantees overall happiness and gratification, we live in the real world and SO DOES THE TAROT.

On one hand we may have an indicator of renewal and gratification in a certain aspect of ones life BUT I find it very difficult to believe that this blessing is a Divine MiracleGrow plant food that will benefit every single aspect of our lives.

The feeling of elation is fraught with danger because it can blind us to the reality that "you can't have it all". So the image of the Ace of Cups can, as others here have suggested, represent an outpouring of emotions; but in this context, it's also carries a message of caution not to get carried away in the flood of emotions.

Thank you for this thread because I've been away from the Tarot for a long time and this has been invaluable in not only reconnecting with the cards but gaining some valuable new insights.
(to paraphrase Agatha Christies detective Hercule Poirot this a wonderful way to get "Ze little gray cells" working again.