Favorite Hippie Deck?

avalonian

For me it would be the Hoi Polloi. It's not just the way it looks but also the way it feels.

It's the deck I would have bought if I had been aware of the Tarot back then.

:) :) :)

velvetina

tzigane tarot could be added to the mix - it reminds me of tipis, painted buses, hot knive stalls and Hawkwind!

Moonbow

I have two, the Glastonbury and the Karma.

I wish I hadn't traded the Karma away because I could read with it so well but at the time my Marseilles interest overtook me (no regrets) and I had a deck clearout to pay for it. If anyone still has one they want to trade, I have a couple of threads in Trading. :)

Morwenna

There's something about the Papus Tarot that makes me think of Fillmore West posters circa 1968. Maybe not quite as swirly, but the colors are there...

ETA: Warning - sunglasses recommended for the link above

Not just the colors, but the lettering! :D

I was in college during the hippie era!! But I wasn't particularly aware of Tarot in those days; I was gung-ho into astrology. In fact, the Morgan Greer echoes the colors and the art style of those old astrology posters (I had two--my sun sign and the whole zodiac). The Aquarian fits there nicely too, because of its art-deco style, which was included in the art fashion of the late '60s/early '70s. And those two decks I own.

Among those I don't own, I vote wholeheartedly for the Hoi Polloi, and I perfectly understand why you include the Sweet Twilight. And the Pearls of Wisdom. (Seems that some artists are very willing to re-create that atmosphere even in recent years!:))

Le Fanu

There's a deck in Kaplan Vol I that uses hippy song titles for the cards; Fool on the Hill (The Fool), Nowhere Man (The Hermit), Spinning Wheel (Wheel of Fortune) with very 60's drawings. Light my Fire's another one (can't remember which card it is)

I'd go for the Hoi Polloi though the truth is, hippies must have been reading with the University Books RWS and the Albano Waite, historically speaking. The Crowley Thoth is definitely hallucinatory and psychedelic too.

Morgan Greer for me belongs to a different era, 70s disco dudes and moustaches, much as I slowly learn to love it. As a child of the 60s those 70s colours remind me a little of drab childen's book illustrations.