Hana Fuda & Divination...

Bernice

Thank you so much for that Kenji :)

I love the deck she uses - it is also shown on the left hand side of the second link. You can see the pampus grass (silvery twigs) on the Full Moon card.

Something to work with now. many thanks.

Bee :)

Moonbow

Excellent thanks Kenji there's actually a lot to go on here with each month representing an area of life i.e. family, work, changes, money etc. and together with the points awarded for each card it should be possible to read these. :)

I really wish I could read her site! If you don't mind, does she say how she lays out the cards? I notice in one picture that she doesn't lay them on top of each other like the reader in the video does.

Her decks are just wonderful and I hope to come back to them at some point in the future :) I notice that her cards look larger than mine which would be even better for reading.

Very grateful for all your effort Kenji.

kenji

Evie said:
I really wish I could read her site! If you don't mind, does she say how she lays out the cards? I notice in one picture that she doesn't lay them on top of each other like the reader in the video does.

I can't figure it out from her website:(

Here is an on-line divination program which she supervises:
http://my.wacoal.jp/product/files/hanafuda/index.html

It is "1-card oracle". Fill in the upper blank with your birth year (e.g. 1980), and the lower with the number of the letters which make up your full name (e.g. JOHN SMITH = 4 + 5 = 9). Then press the right button below. The pack will be shuffled first as many times as your age, then as the number obtained from your full name. Then the pack is divided into four parts (12 cards each). After you choose one of them, the 12 cards will be put in line on the table. From them you choose the final card...

Moonbow

Kenji, apologies for not replying sooner.

Kenji said:
Fill in the upper blank with your birth year (e.g. 1980)..
I wish! My shuffle takes a little longer than that. :D

This would be a good way to read the cards for other people, thank you.

Now I have to put some work into these spreads from what you have told me. The meanings for the cards are still sketchy but this is a far better system than the video I linked to earlier.

Bernice

Evie said:

Now I have to put some work into these spreads from what you have told me. The meanings for the cards are still sketchy but this is a far better system than the video I linked to earlier.
Oooh! A bit like the system Mel uses (old fashioned), where you (generic) might make an assessment based on the value of the cards. For instance, with a layout of 5 cards - do the goodies outweigh the baddies, or vice versa. It would need some tinkering to decide which placement denotes a life-area, and therefore is neither good nor bad.

hmm. possibilities....

Bee :)

Cerulean

Book, some associations

I recommend this book for game info, descriptions and basic background:

Hanafuda: The Flower Card Game (referred to as HTFCG)
by Japan Publications
Nichibo Shuppan-sha, publishers
isbn 10-0-87040-430-x
isbn 13: 978-0-87040-430-6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1303784714&sr=8-1&condition=used

P. 19 The cards

JAN(pine)--"MEN" (KENJI)

1. January - since pine and crane are symbols of long life and good fortune in the Orient, it is suitable the be used to represent the beginning of the New Year. (HTFCG)

(Cerulean's note: Pine, Plum and Bamboo are three friends of winter--poetically the evergreen pine is matsu, long-lived and is known as a bridge to heaven for No plays--the backdrop of a pine tree reminds one of the heavenly
component. Cranes are supposedly symbols of fidelity and also good fortune)

FEB(plum)--"FAMILY" (KENJI)

2. February - both the nightengale and the flowers of the plum tree brighten the cold of February (HFTCG)

(Cerulean's note: poetically plum is also in the three friends of winter and the nightengale--uguisu )

From wikipedia:
The propensity of the Japanese Bush Warbler to sing has led to the birds being kept as cage birds. Robert Young records that to encourage singing the cages of kept birds were covered with a wooden box with a small paper window that allowed only subdued light in.[2] Along with the return of the barn swallow the bush warbler's call is viewed by Japanese as a herald of springtime.

It is one of the favorite motifs of Japanese poetry, featured in many poems including those in Man'yōshū or Kokin Wakashū. In haiku and renga, uguisu is one of the kigo which signify the early spring. In poetry the bird is associated with the ume blossom, and appears with ume on hanafuda playing cards. There is also a popular Japanese sweet named Uguisu-boru (Uguisu Balls) which consists of brown and white balls meant to resemble ume flower buds. However, the distinctive song is not usually heard until later in spring, well after the ume blossoms have faded. In haiku the bird with this song is known as sasako, and the song is called sasanaki.

The beauty of its song led to the English name Japanese Nightingale,[2][3] though the Japanese Bush Warbler does not sing at night.[4] This name is no longer commonly used.

MAR(cherry)--"WOMEN" (KENJI)

3. March - the unforgettable sight of cherry trees in full bloom is the hightlight of Japanese spring. The use of a curtain together with flowers recalls the tradition of arranging parties to view the flowes and of demarcating the party space by means of handsome striped curtains hung from the trees. (HFTFCG)

APRIL(wisteria)--"RELATIONSHIPS" (KENJI)

4. April - During this month the delicate lavendar pendant blooms of the wisteria freshen gardens all over Japan (HFTFCG)

(Cerulean: Wisteria with cuckoo - Spring poetic motif)

MAY(iris)--"PERSONALITIES" (KENJI)

5. May - the fifth is Boy's Day and the iris, with its bold color and sword-shaped leaf, is the flower symbollically associated with youthful vitality (HFTFCG).

(Cerulean: Iris with bridge is also a poetic reference to travelling man who turned to look at the irises and be reminded of his wife pulling her sleeves up over to her eyes at home as he went away)

JUN(peony)--"SOCIAL MATTERS" (KENJI)

6. June - It may be that no flower representing of this month, famous in Japan as the season of rains, was forthcoming and for that reason the people designing the flower cards selected the peony, the showy flower of which are more Chinese than Japanese in feeling (HFTFCG)

JUL(clover)--"HEALTH" (KENJI)

7. July - According to old calendar reckonings, July is the beginning of autumn; both clover and the wild boar are closely associated with that season (HFTFLCG)

AUG(pampas)--"HAPPINESS" (KENJI)

8. August - Pampas grass come into the fullness of its beauty in this month and viewing it by moonlight has long been a popular Japanese pastime. (HFTFCG)

(Cerulean's note: Pampas grass is one of the seven grasses of autumn, a poetic motif. The geese are also a sign of weather change).

SEP(chrysanthemum)--"TROUBLES" (KENJI)

9. The princely chryanthemum blooms most richly in September; imbibing sake from small cups seem to make them even lovelier (HFTFCG).

OCT(maple)--"WORK" (KENJI)

10. This is the month when the mountainsides flame with scarlet maples. Small wonder that the tree was selected to represent October (HFTFCG)

(Cerulean: Stag with maple can be a common haiku poetic motif for autumn, especially his bugling call during mating season).

NOV(willow)--"CHANGES" (KENJI)

11. These cards are sometimes called Willow, but most often Rain. The pictures themselves suggest the former perhaps more than the latter. There is no reason to use a willow to suggest the dull and wet month, when it is actually at the height of its loveliness in May, but since the iris has a stronger claim to this month (May), the tree was relegated to this position. This may explain the confusion in names. (HFTFCG).

(Cerulean's note: folktales of willow trees being personified by mysterious and graceful women who became human wives for a time to a fortunate fellow...and then sadly, the woman's spirit is felled by a careless axe to the physical tree, so she disappears from her husband's home...one can associate the 'dull and sadder' weather to such melancholy. Poetry was said by husband missing his wife on such a sad occassion... The swallow is also a domestic reference).

DEC(paulownia)--"MONEY" (KENJI)

12. December - Both the chrysanthemm and paulownia are widely used in graphic design; it is obviously impossible to include one without the other. The fabulous phoenix intensifies the grandeur of the suit (HFTFCG)

Kenji adds:

And seemingly, high-ranked cards have good meanings and low-ranked cards have bad meanings in general. For example, she says the "BOUZU with the full moon" card has the best meaning of 48 cards.

Hope this helps. (Note again I may be wrong!)
Kenji[/QUOTE]

Anyway, hope some of the typed notes from page 19-21 of the above book also helps. Best wishes!

Cerulean

Moonbow

Hi Cerulean, your notes are same or similar to what I've found on the net. Its taken a bit of research but with Kenji's help I now have meanings for the cards and more in depth ones coming as I use them.

Nice to see it all in one post.

Belinda2

What I have are the Japanse Tiles not the western size cards. I saw a lady on You tube doing a reading with the above size cards from Korea. Anyone know where I can get that size of cards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYi7vX-FzYE&feature=BFa&list=ULb8s9qDYL6tM&index=5

She has some interesting meanings for the cards:
Iris- eating something good
Cheysanthemum-drinking and people
Pine- Messager

I know about the language of flower but I am still unsure how she came up with the above. Are there any books or websites that would have the possible meanigs? I checked out that Japanese ladies website but I did not get much out of it.
Thank you
Belinda

Wendywu

I'm not sure where you can find the cards Belinda but hopefully someone else might have an idea.

As to meanings, this thread contains the results of a lot of research done by other members and is well worth reading, and possibly printing out if you want to work with the cards.

As to books - Cerulean posted (in the post previous to yours) with this:

Cerulean said:
I recommend this book for game info, descriptions and basic background:

Hanafuda: The Flower Card Game (referred to as HTFCG)
by Japan Publications
Nichibo Shuppan-sha, publishers
isbn 10-0-87040-430-x
isbn 13: 978-0-87040-430-6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1303784714&sr=8-1&condition=used

Belinda2

Hi Wendy,
I have that book which covers how to play the flower game, but there is nothing about fortune telling or any possible meanings.
But thank you
Belinda