The Wild Unknown Tarot - The Star XVII

Sulis

There's not much in the way of symbolism in this card, not much at all.

What there is is a huge, rainbow coloured, five-pointed star, shining in a dark sky. Smaller stars are dotted around or maybe they are sparkles coming from the bigger star... Symbolism or no, it's a beautiful image and it makes me feel peaceful and happy (which is just what The Star is supposed to do ;)).

In the sequence of the Major Arcana The Star comes straight after the devastation and destruction of The Tower.. It's the light at the end of the tunnel, the emergence from the darkness, the beacon or symbol of hope.
Sailors have traditionally navigated by the stars so it's something to aim for, something to guide us, a guiding light.. We all know the story of the star that lead the way of the 3 wise men to the baby Jesus when he'd just been born in Bethlehem - stars are good omens, something that mark something special, often changes in the stars herald great events or good things coming.
Stars are also something that we wish on, magical things that symbolise dreams, even if they are far away.

So in a reading this card says be kind, be gentle, even if that's only to yourself - be a star, shine as brightly as you can, make a difference in someone's life.
This card says that the dark times are coming to an end, there is hope and you have something to dream about, something to aim for but the result may be a while in coming, stars are far away and even though we reach for them it's difficult to reach a star.

Attachments

• The Star XVII.jpg
    The Star XVII.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,594

DarlingTarot

The Star

You pretty much said it all, Sulis - but I had to chime in on this one because I love this simple, yet complex card.

The explosion has happened, the Tower has fallen. The darkness descends and for a moment, we are lost. Then, the Star appears! Our guiding light. And its not outside of ourselves, but rather our inner guiding light, our internal GPS that will guide us to the next thing, to new growth and strength.

The star says "trust yourself". Keep your awareness at the core of your being, from where the light emanates. Never again forget who you are and what you desire. Your feelings and needs are real, powerful and will guide you to your full flowering.

The Tower was the old, false self. And now the star is a promise to never again abandon our selves.

I like to imagine that the sparkles around the star are devas or magical beings that are helper spirits we can call on to remind us of our truth, our value, our power. If we open our awareness, we will find that there are invisible forces of love surrounding us. They love to be acknowledged! We will be needing them as we progress to the world of the Moon - the deeper knowing, the darkness of the other side....

These little white puffballs are also seen in The World and The Wheel of Fortune - and in colored version in the Mother of Cups and Daughter of Swords.

Pixna

Darling Tarot, thank you for your layers of additional insights for this card. I really appreciate how you've interpreted it and how your views complement Sulis's always amazing perspective.

With the puff balls that appear in this and the other cards, I always count them and consider their numerological values. Here there are ten, which to me signifies a sense of completion and wholeness, reaching a goal, being successful, and, of course, wishes come true. For me, all the colors of the star itself reflect this sense of wholeness, of everything being contained in the star, just as all the colors of the rainbow are within it and comprise it.

DarlingTarot

puff balls

Thanks, Pixna. great idea to count the puff balls, and use the numerology. Thanks for your insight!

danieljuk

This is my fave card of the whole deck, which surprised me because I normally love the Sun in a deck the most! I am not sure why but I really feel an intense personal connection with this card, I want to have it as a tshirt and mounted in a large print on the wall. I have to explore why I really feel connected and probably more than any other Star card!

Kim uploaded an alternative version of the Star on her instagram a few days ago here. It was never used in the end and reminds me a lot of the Sun card and I much prefer this Star that was used in the end.

This card had such a prominent big multi colour star in the sky, it reminds me of many songs and poems about stars...

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

there is many verses of the nursery rhyme which fit this card perfectly but this verse is perfect....

Then the traveller in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny sparks;
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

and other song lyrics like Starlight, Starbright, first star I see tonight

Yes this card is sparse but it offers hope! There is a little light to help you towards a goal or that things will get better. This card isn't telling you anything else but it's a star to guide you and give you peace. Sometimes you don't need all the details, you just need a bright shimming sign to work towards (or literally walk towards!). I see the little sparkling things in the background as other stars. If you are lost and need to navigate, you look to the North Star (pole star), like you said about Sailors, Sulis. The other stars don't matter to follow, this is the thing to orientate yourself out of the confusion. Perhaps even you should focus on one thing currently, one goal or one path.

I really love this card :)

danieljuk

I notice the star in this card after studying it a while is in the darkness. Interesting that the little stars and big star are in the dark night sky, but are not in the light at the bottom of the card. There is hope in the darkness.

Felicity Greenway

Darling Tarot, thank you for your layers of additional insights for this card. I really appreciate how you've interpreted it and how your views complement Sulis's always amazing perspective.

With the puff balls that appear in this and the other cards, I always count them and consider their numerological values. Here there are ten, which to me signifies a sense of completion and wholeness, reaching a goal, being successful, and, of course, wishes come true. For me, all the colors of the star itself reflect this sense of wholeness, of everything being contained in the star, just as all the colors of the rainbow are within it and comprise it.

I feel the same way Pixna! I use numerological values too, and after counting the 10 puff balls, leaves the seven of seventeen. I see the seven as number of triomf, but also as Cosmic Energy: for example there are seven planets in the Universe and seven chakra's in our bodies (as above so below ;-) ). The Rainbow colours being the same as the colours of the chakra's. So for me this card also represents a way of healing, bringing balance from the inside and outside.