Japaridze Tarot

rylla

Reporting back from a few weeks ago, I now have the Japaridze.

I find the book very well written especially because it hints at the symbols in card images but doesn't go in to loads of detail that perhaps only the artist can fully explain

Me too. No-nonsense, up to the point. I enjoyed reading it (considering how many tarot accompanying books are out there -this one is among the best)

wildmoonwoman

Strangers & War

I would love to hear how you guys are feeling working with the strangers of the deck. (traditionally knights). My mind cant see them and just assign the knight card meanings to them. They are too far off. The book mentions strangers being used as an archetype, but after research online, I cant find any traditional "stranger" archetype to reference.

Also I would love to hear thoughts on the "War" card, formerly the Emperor. It feels to me to really box in the Emperor to a very one sided meaning. Thoughts please?!

Those questions aside, I am in love with this deck. It entrances me. And it totally reminds me of tarot of the spirit too!! I had to take that one out and compare it last night! While the images are decidedly more beautiful in Japaridze, the energy is much the same for me.

Le Fanu

Also I would love to hear thoughts on the "War" card, formerly the Emperor. It feels to me to really box in the Emperor to a very one sided meaning. Thoughts please?!
I thought mine would be here by now. I've been waiting for it since before Christmas.I know the postal service is a bit all over the place right now but I thought it would be here by now and I am very curious to see the courts up close because someone in another thread was admiring them as being very accessible.

But - yes - the Emperor. My main reservation about this deck was the re-titling of the Emperor as War. Really don't like that. It's like if you called the Empress "fertility" and had her pregnant. Completely, utterly limiting. For me, the Emperor card in the tarot incorporates a lot of traditionally male archetypal (maybe even stereotypical) qualities. But calling it "war" gives us one tiny, minimal, limiting and fundamentally negative slice to work with. I don't see how this card could possibly be wide-reaching in its meaning unless one cut the borders off I suppose, but I can't picture the image right now. Does the image scream "war" ? If tarot is about images, maybe it's not completely war. I'd have to see it.

Miss Divine

I thought mine would be here by now. I've been waiting for it since before Christmas.I know the postal service is a bit all over the place right now but I thought it would be here by now and I am very curious to see the courts up close because someone in another thread was admiring them as being very accessible.

But - yes - the Emperor. My main reservation about this deck was the re-titling of the Emperor as War. Really don't like that. It's like if you called the Empress "fertility" and had her pregnant. Completely, utterly limiting. For me, the Emperor card in the tarot incorporates a lot of traditionally male archetypal (maybe even stereotypical) qualities. But calling it "war" gives us one tiny, minimal, limiting and fundamentally negative slice to work with. I don't see how this card could possibly be wide-reaching in its meaning unless one cut the borders off I suppose, but I can't picture the image right now. Does the image scream "war" ? If tarot is about images, maybe it's not completely war. I'd have to see it.

Yes, the image does pretty much scream ''war''. It's even grayish in color from what I could see in a youtube review. I think the artwork is beautiful in some cards, and very jarring in others.

EarthAngel2911

Let me see if I can figure out how to attach an image from my app...

This is the straight image of War, without the title.

uploadfromtaptalk1420505731996.jpg

EarthAngel2911

And from a picture I just took of my trimmed deck

uploadfromtaptalk1420506258543.jpg

Le Fanu

Thanks for that but my deck has since arrived so I have been able to see it up close. Nice trimmming job!

I have to say, I love this deck. I really, really love it. Tiny reservations pale when I think about the multiplicity of layers and symbolism and just how much there is in it that I do love. It is such a cerebral deck. Funny, but in the hand it doesn't remind me so much of the Tarot of the Spirit. It has its own identity, very much so. I love the colours and the beautiful courts. The imagery is fantastic, surreal, thought-provoking, dense and layered; it has that same richness as the Navigators of the Mystic SEA; I feel quiet delight that there is so much to discover, so much to unravel and I relish the excitement. It feels like one of U.S Games' more daring efforts. This artist really knows what she is doing - images you can swim in -and the way she has transmuted tarot into her own very odd universe which is still somehow recognisably RWS and universal, Court cards apart (but they have such personality that they seem quite readable).

There is so much to look at. U.S Games sell all those RWS decks so that they can take a risk and do something like this, a little removed from the mainstream. It really is quite a special deck. Thank goodness this deck became a reality. I do get a bit grumpy sometimes with the mainstream decks that I see around. And I despair of the Doreenization of tarot. But there is hope! Somebody recognised the potential in this project and saw it through to completion and I think this is such a significant contribution to the tarot world. My hands itch to read with it; off to shuffle and do a sample spread.

Great book & packaging too. Everything about it ticks boxes for me (Ok, wish it was borderless and perhaps the backs could be different but I can live with that - these are insignificant gripes.)

Thank you U.S Games! You've restored my faith!

Moonbow

I've been using this deck since I received it at Christmas and I know it's a deck I will keep. When I connect to a deck like this I'm usually in the minority but that's okay with me, I like decks that stretch me and force me out of comfort zones whether they are RWS or any other system. I found this with the NTotMS and the Karma Tarot and it's my main reason for getting this deck. I can get so much out of it.

I won't comment on individual cards until I've worked singularly with each card and journaled about each one, however so far I really like the Justice portrayal.

For me it's not a pick-up-and-read deck yet, but it will be when I'm finished with it, this is how I get the mileage out of my decks and how they keep me interested.

Now the packaging... it's not something I've been too bothered with in the past but quite honestly I'm sick of deck boxes falling to bits after a few uses and this deck proves that it is possible to give the customer some quality packaging that will not only last but is beautiful and part of the deck, the experience. Why shouldn't we get good sturdy boxes for our money? Why shouldn't we get a book with a spine and coloured images? I agree US Games have set the bar for mass produced decks.

The Silver Era Tarot also has a good sturdy box and book and this was the deck that got me thinking about quality for our money.

It pleases me that you like this deck Le Fanu, I was hoping you would.

rylla

Thanks for that but my deck has since arrived so I have been able to see it up close. Nice trimmming job!

I have to say, I love this deck. I really, really love it. Tiny reservations pale when I think about the multiplicity of layers and symbolism and just how much there is in it that I do love. It is such a cerebral deck. Funny, but in the hand it doesn't remind me so much of the Tarot of the Spirit. It has its own identity, very much so. I love the colours and the beautiful courts. The imagery is fantastic, surreal, thought-provoking, dense and layered; it has that same richness as the Navigators of the Mystic SEA; I feel quiet delight that there is so much to discover, so much to unravel and I relish the excitement. It feels like one of U.S Games' more daring efforts. This artist really knows what she is doing - images you can swim in -and the way she has transmuted tarot into her own very odd universe which is still somehow recognisably RWS and universal, Court cards apart (but they have such personality that they seem quite readable).

There is so much to look at. U.S Games sell all those RWS decks so that they can take a risk and do something like this, a little removed from the mainstream. It really is quite a special deck. Thank goodness this deck became a reality. I do get a bit grumpy sometimes with the mainstream decks that I see around. And I despair of the Doreenization of tarot. But there is hope! Somebody recognised the potential in this project and saw it through to completion and I think this is such a significant contribution to the tarot world. My hands itch to read with it; off to shuffle and do a sample spread.

Great book & packaging too. Everything about it ticks boxes for me (Ok, wish it was borderless and perhaps the backs could be different but I can live with that - these are insignificant gripes.)

Thank you U.S Games! You've restored my faith!

Wonderful review, LeFanu!

I am very pleased with this deck too. But it just screamed at me to trim it:

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=73510&d=1419686321

[maybe I am a trim-coholic? - still I am happy with the result]

Le Fanu

They look good trimmed. I find myself wondering how the backs balance out...