The WildWood Tarot - Stand Alone/Individual Deck/Positive Reviews

Lifeisabutterfly

Have you a Ghinzu knife by any chance? lol
I actually had a mini flash of inspiration: I shall keep the bottom borders BUT will colour them over in gold sparkly pen so I can just barely see the titles. Then that will give me the option later on if I want to guillotine those too.
The gold pen I have is acrylic and not very flashy so it should blend in nicely. Yes, that's what I am a-gonna do :) I loooove to snip too :) Can't wait to see the effect and I know that if I love the deck now I shall probably be putting it under my pillow after it's trimming....
Now if only I could find the purrrrfect tarot bag this deck deserves....
to be continued....

Lifeisabutterfly

I noticed something very interesting about several people in the Wildwood tarot. They are often portrayed as kneeling down on the right knee. We can compare this position the that of the Star card in the Tarot de Marseilles. In a very erudite book on TdM, the author mentions this and says it is a sign of initiation....

Lifeisabutterfly

Wheel of the Year for Dummies

Now that I begin this journey I find that the study of this Wheel deserves careful and painstaking attention. Not that it is incomprehensible or overly intricate, like some interminable calculus formula--but rather moved by the desire and need to truly grasp this concept in the most simple and lasting manner.
So I thought that if this is agreeable to those interested--the Iron ones and the Fluttery ones alike--we could take this step by step until it is properly assimilated--a bit like medicine :)
starting with the first portion in the book which talks about the Time of Arrows.
In this tarot, the Arrows is the equivalent of Air and Swords thus: new thought, clear thought, excellent wording/communication, cutting through fluff, analysis, waking up, worldliness, brain vs. emotions, cold bloodedness, efficiency and all other related concepts.
The Wheel is divided in sections like a pie chart each pointing to different periods of the year, which is not too hard to "feel" since most of us live in a temperate zone and have weathered several (many lol) seasons and years already. The 2 main turning points or major divisions in the year being that of that are sun/moon. cold/hot--Midsummer Solstice and Midwinter.
Also we find 3 layers of awareness and being deeper and then going outward. The main guardians being the Shaman, The Seer, The Wanderer and the World Tree. I suppose these represent the most key figures in the Archetypal game of life and death?
We start at Imbolc, 1st of February at the time of the new moon. Springtime is on the horizon with all it's usual signs and signals. According to this system, the Ancestor is the right archetype to greet us here.
Why?
There is an explanation in the book, p. 27 which makes sense but to me but only after reading the book...I wonder if left on my own, this is the archetype I would have chosen. This question could probably lead to too much thinking and second guessing so I think initial trust and acceptance in learning this system is key here.
Moving on then. We have in the Ancestor a guide and and guardian which is very appropriate since the still Nature is still asleep and buried in snow, but now we have arrived and are ready to follow the new path, Spring.
There are several layers to this Wheel, the innermost being more yin and the outer ones being more yang if you will.
In the same section we now find the Star, which works with the outer conscious layer.The Pole Star is there to encourage us to carry on-(-the February Blahs being upon us and hard to weather if one might think a bit along those lines for a moment) This so we do not loose hope that Spring is real and will come soon, no matter how many clouds and flurries remain.
I think I will stop at that for now, to give us a chance to digest this and chime in with any additional insights and of course corrections! There is much food for thought and it won't do to gulp it all down in one sitting....these are concepts which for the most part have been totally forgotten by humanity and even if it might be in our collective conscience, or unconscience, retrieving those files is a feat in itself! In my dirty, gritty, satellite-ridden city you can't even see the stars anymore!
Anxiously Awaits Feedback.....

Lifeisabutterfly

And One More Thing....

I see I'm on a roll here lol
I also wanted to say after finally seeing the famous Druidcraft deck in person for the first time today, how impressed I am with the artwork of our Wildwood deck. I detect here a maturity and growth and loving care here which is exceptional compared to the Druidcraft, which is a work of art in it's own right--but in this deck, I see a definite shift for something deeper...the style is even quite different pointing toward the versatility of this artist.

Est

I just wanted to chime in with some love for the Wildwood. When I ordered it, all I knew was that I liked it, and it was the new version of an older deck called the Greenwood. I'd already seen scans of the Greenwood cards and didn't like them, so I was really happy that this deck (in my opinion) looked and felt a lot better.

The imagery is so deep and meaningful. Each card is just perfect. There isn't a single card I dislike or would change anything about. I'm studying it slowly, one card at a time. It sings to me from my bookshelf :p and invites me to keep walking slowly into the archetypal Wildwood.

In short, I love it :laugh:

Lifeisabutterfly

I just wanted to chime in with some love for the Wildwood. When I ordered it, all I knew was that I liked it, and it was the new version of an older deck called the Greenwood. I'd already seen scans of the Greenwood cards and didn't like them, so I was really happy that this deck (in my opinion) looked and felt a lot better.

The imagery is so deep and meaningful. Each card is just perfect. There isn't a single card I dislike or would change anything about. I'm studying it slowly, one card at a time. It sings to me from my bookshelf :p and invites me to keep walking slowly into the archetypal Wildwood.

In short, I love it :laugh:

What is your favourite card so far? I have just begun to skim the surface because this is something I too want to savour slowly to achieve a lasting effect.

Lady Iron Side

What is your favourite card so far? I have just begun to skim the surface because this is something I too want to savour slowly to achieve a lasting effect.

My favorite card is The Mirror ( Prudence)

I have started to work on my homework, dear Life is a butterfly I have taken what you wrote above and continued the discussion under The Thread I have started in the study group Time of Arrows

For more discussion of the Wheel of the Year please use the these thread Time of Arrows, Time of Stones, Time of Vessels, Time of Bows. Thank you

Est

I honestly can't choose a favourite. There are too many good ones! I know what you mean about savouring it slowly. I'm probably averaging a card a week, if that! :laugh: They each *deserve* that time though :)

Lifeisabutterfly

I honestly can't choose a favourite. There are too many good ones! I know what you mean about savouring it slowly. I'm probably averaging a card a week, if that! :laugh: They each *deserve* that time though :)

And fat-free too! Delicious!

Lifeisabutterfly

My favorite card is The Mirror ( Prudence)

I have started to work on my homework, dear Life is a butterfly I have taken what you wrote above and continued the discussion under The Thread I have started in the study group Time of Arrows

For more discussion of the Wheel of the Year please use the these thread Time of Arrows, Time of Stones, Time of Vessels, Time of Bows. Thank you

Yes Sir!