1701 Dodal Tarot de Marseille (Dusserre): General Observations thread

kenji

SOLD OUT

Now all the 6 decks have been purchased.

To the subscribers:
The decks are supposed to arrive in a couple of
days. When I have received them, I'll let you
know :)

Fulgour

thank you kenji

kenji said:
Now all the 6 decks have been purchased.

To the subscribers:
The decks are supposed to arrive in a couple of
days. When I have received them, I'll let you
know :)
The Tarot Arrived Today!

:laugh: domo arigatou :laugh:

Fulgour

Shalott

Thanks to Kenji I am looking through mine right now!

The thing that's making me scratch my head most of all at first is "La Pances."

And my eggplant on 5 of Cups here looks like a little hut growing out of a flower, with a leafy crown growing out of it.

And the borders seem to only serve the purpose of smoothing out the edges (and are well done as it's not plain stark white against the older, yellowed paper), but they don't add much size to them. I know that people are always growing bigger every few generations or so (from studying various aspects of history like clothing and visiting historical sites where one must stoop to enter), making me wonder how big these seemingly standard sized cards would have been to ppl in the early 18th century?

I just love the eyes on ppl in Marseille decks (and the Old English)! They all have bags under their eyes! (Except for the well-rested Justice.)

I'm wondering about the coloring, too. The "staying in the lines" is really hit and miss. I wonder how they were printed in those days that would results in this, or if it's a result of bleeding due to age?

Very nifty.

Just noticed something else: La Maison Diev appears to be falling apart due to a very large plant bursting forth from the top, rather than a lightening strike or the like. Maybe the ppl planted it not knowing how out of control it would become (I had a plant like that once), or wanted a big showy plant only end up regretting it?

Jewel-ry

I have just received this deck and have to say that it took my breath away when I opened it.

It is one of the few occasions that I have felt that I truly held something special in my hands. I love the feel and the colours!

First noticed the number of Le Pandu IIX and not XII. Also why pandu and not pendu? and whats with the epaulettes?

More later ...

J.