Thoth - Where would you start? Pls Help?

pacificwaters

I can't really add to what LRichard has said, except about this. A great part of esoteric Tarot is understanding that however you use it, it is a model of the world with active and passive forces, balances and most of all, everything is interconnected. So in fact, some of the most important aspects of the Thoth aren't on the cards themselves.

In terms of Kabbalah, this entails, as LRichard says, internalizing its general structure and what connects to what. Once you grasp the basic method, this isn't as much memorization as it might imply. Astrologically, this mainly means learning the attributions of the Trumps, and what they mean. It isn't actual astrology, at least not until you get to the Courts, but more in the sense of ideas, each astrological element is its own set of them. These two, astrology and kabbalah, together open up whole new worlds that are not apparent otherwise. Although some memorization is part of it, it isn't as much as you would think, since when analyzing the cards you tend to use the same tools over and over, and they become second nature in time.

For example, the Tower is attributed to Mars, and so is the fifth Sephira of Geburah, so all the fives have something in common with the disruptive influence of the Tower. Mars also appears in the Minors, although modified by the signs, and so there is also a connection between the five and ten of Cups, nine of Swords, two and seven of Wands and the three of Disks. What those connections are I can't tell you, it's up to you to work it out. That's where intuition comes in, how you connect all the different elements that are the building blocks of each card.

So you see, it's all interconnected. I'll toot my own horn here, I wrote two introductory essays about these subjects and although they're far from perfect, as well as incomplete, they may give you an idea:

Beginner's Kabbalah: The Four Worlds and the Tree of Life

Beginner's Kabbalah: The Court Cards

I know my answer might hijack the discussion a bit in the other line. But my apologies for it. Did not have a deliberate such intention.

Its just that I wanted to thank closrapexa for his answer. Thank you for the links provided. I hope to get started on it in a couple of minutes

Also I remember reading about the Liber T in the discussion somewhere. I have DuQuette with me. This and Liber T, I presume would be good initiators for me, right?

But then, how long do I just go on reading? I am actually itching to get on to reading the cards as well. Or would I have to wait until I get the basic understanding of the Thoth system?

Zephyros

But then, how long do I just go on reading? I am actually itching to get on to reading the cards as well. Or would I have to wait until I get the basic understanding of the Thoth system?

I used the deck for years before knowing anything about it. It's a very evocative deck, and should be used as often as possible.

pacificwaters

Thanks for the tip closrapexa...Maybe I will use it alongside my other decks when I do readings for self. That would help get a better feedback.

@Samweiss.. thanks for the link. I will check out the Prince:D We have an extended weekend from tomorrow, so maybe then!

Rubycon

Does anyone recommend Understanding Crowley's Thoth in addition to The Book Of Thoth for this deck?

Michael Sternbach

Does anyone recommend Understanding Crowley's Thoth in addition to The Book Of Thoth for this deck?

Yes, definitely. DuQuette closely adheres to the BoT but is a much easier read. Of course, it doesn't replace the BoT but it's good as a starter, imo. I.e., the book elaborates things the BoT touches and gives background information.

nicky

the learning is never ending

Attachments

• at.jpg
    at.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 88

rachelcat

LOLOLOLOL!

(But then, I DO always log into Aeclectic!) And I'm so happy to be a Thothie!

Owl Tarot

Yes, definitely. DuQuette closely adheres to the BoT but is a much easier read. Of course, it doesn't replace the BoT but it's good as a starter, imo. I.e., the book elaborates things the BoT touches and gives background information.

Nice response, and on it I would like to extend a bit. A habit I find helpful is to read the BoT more than once and keep reading it. For me, I always see something different in the BoT. Now, Duquette's book has a nice sum of background info which can help you not only understand more about the deck, but give you more information needed to read the BoT since it's a kinda difficult read if you don't have some supplements to read it with, and "Understanding Aleister's Crowley Thoth Tarot deck" is a nice supplement. Near the end of the book he has summed up the simple divinatory meanings from Crowley's book to aid you in a quick search and find scenario. Add his humor to that (which keeps you interested easily), and there you have it.

One other book I found useful, not so much about the background info but more detailed regarding the individual card analysis is "The Thoth Companion" by Snuffin. I think this is another book which can aid you in understanding the cards better. Those three books can help you, I think, to begin your studies and set a solid basis for the wonderful Thoth Tarot. I would advise you to try to remain constant in reading BoT though. In the long run, I think it will offer you more and more in coordination with other subjects you might read and you engaging more with the deck (really important factor).

Zephyros

Oh I don't know about that. I mean, I guess you could say I've read it all several times, but never all the by through from start to end. Maybe I should. :)