Herbal Tarot - The Fool

sunflowr

The Fool is such an appropriate card being that I am starting this Herbal Tarot study thread! :) Would like to have a study group on this deck. Please join me?

The Fool also fits me well because it is my soul card; I think and feel much as "the fool" does. Ginseng is known to increase youthful energy.. which I need.

Here is the Herbal Tarot fool...

http://www.gambler.ru/sukhty/decks05/d02433/d02433j01.jpg

WolfSpirit

Well done to begin the study group, sunflowr !
I don't have the deck yet, but I can see all the cards on-line so I will try to follow along :)

What strikes me about this card: in a deck where plants are so important, the Fool is not jumping or running, he does not see the abyss because all his attention is focused on a plant - the rose he is smelling.
He is standing in a ray of sunlight, which stands for his optimism and hope for the future.

Ginseng is a powerful herb, used by many people to get some extra energy. So I guess it is a good one to use when you have a whole journey ahead of you.

What does everone else think of this card ?

rainstarhorizon

Hi!This deck works for me!

Hi Sunflower! What a pleasant surprize...this deck has been uncanny for me in doing readings.I think it's because it carries so much concentrated positive energy...I'll be coming for the group.Thankyou.

hyatt

Oh, how exciting I just ordered this deck yesterday and now I see it has a study group how perfect! This deck combines two of my favorite hobbies!
So even though I do not have the deck in my greedy little hands I am still going to chime by looking at the picture.

**Fool**
I love the fact that Ginseng is the plant that is choosen for the fool. Naturally it grows along the mountains. Which really is such an accurate choice for the fool. It is a slow grower and you only really use the roots. I think that these aspects are important as you look at the Fool card. Growing in the mountains just as the Fool has gone to the Mountain to complete his enlightment. Spiritually there is much growing to be done in the mountains for the fool and his growth is a slow process that is not physical or superficial it is in his soul. Similiar to Ginsing - it's roots have the true power. It isn't plucked for it's external beauty, for it's showing blooms but for what you cannot see.
I love how there is nothing after the edge of the card. Artistically i think it creates a strong composition (sorry i'm an art teacher i just have to comment on it). But other than how striking it is, it makes me think that what is in the darkness doesn't matter as much as what is on the mountain and the current moment. Kind of a live for the moment message.
What a beautiful card! The herb really does add a deeper meaning to this one.

Logiatrix

Some thoughts I came up with...
The ray of the Sun upon the traveler: guidance and protection from above.
The forest behind him: "out of the woods" or clarity.
The red rose, and his focus on it: innocent love.
The red feather in his cap: energy and movement.
All the green: youth.
:)

aurorarose

I don't know what the protocol is for study groups that haven't been posted to in a while but I would like to revive this one.

First off I would rename this card "The traveler" rather than the "The fool" in other decks the figure is skipping and acting a bit IMO foolish. Here the figure truly is just walking a path. For me the difference is choice, sometimes other fools feel like they are being propelled along, that they start the path almost unknowingly spurred by hormones or simple naivety. Here the traveler knows he is beginning a spiritual journey and is giving it the appropriate reverence.

The focus of the herb is energy and ability, not so much who the traveler is but what the traveler has within and is bringing along.

Some more tidbits about the herb, which is really fascinating, is it increases energy by increasing the efficiency of various systems. Ginseng also reduces stress and increases alertness. There is some evidence that ginseng inhibits cancer cells (yeah ginseng).

As the companion book mentions N. American ginseng has a milder effect compared to Oriental ginseng. However the wild supply of N. American ginseng was wiped out due to popular demand, (argg stupid people). Both the Oriental and N. American varieties are used as aphrodisiac.

There is a third variety of interest known as Siberian ginseng, which is related to hedging Eleutherococcus. The Siberian variety is cheaper and less stimulating than Oriental ginseng. The Siberian ginseng was used by Russian astronauts and it inceased stamina, strengthened resistence and reduced stress. Also the Siberian variety was used to ease radiation sickness after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

I am using The Herb Book by John Lust and the Smitsonian Handbook of Herbs by Lesly Bremness as supplemental references. I think this has exponentially increased my understanding of the herb and it is interesting how the historical tidbits relate to the meaning of the card ie journey to the space, and a nuclear explosion, talk about boundless energy.

I hope some more will join this group again and we can study the intersection of herbs and Tarot.

Guiding Cauldron

a study group would be nice....

i have this deck too and LOVE it, as it was my very first deck. I love herbs and different health concepts. So this fits the bill for me. I didnt knwo there was a book for this deck though. Maybe someday.....but I've been useing this intuitively with great results. It is a very "meaty" deck and gives a LOT of info when your looking. Hopefully others will join in again and a study can be done- if one does get under way i'd love to pop in and keep track to whats being said and learned :)

Soaring Eagle

0 - Fool - Ginseng

See the Fool.

Description: The fool is walking towards the edge of a cliff with his eyes closed. He smells a red rose. There is a ray of sunshine directly on the fool. The forest is behind him. The carries a travel bag with him, and is wearing a cloak over his clothing and cap with a feather on it. There is a large ginseng plant at the edge of the cliff, it’s roots almost bursting out of the ground.

Significant Details: The sun is contentment, and appears almost as if it is spiritual, thus spiritual contentment. The forest is behind him, thus he’s able to see things more clearly if he opens his eyes. The red rose is a typical symbol of love. The feather is symbolizing his forward movement, as are his steps. The ginseng is representing the adapting of new ways.

Keywords: New beginnings; Adaptability; Improved memory

Medicinal Uses: Ginseng is known as the world’s wonder. It improves memory function, replenishes energy, strengthens the immune system, and is adaptogenic.

My Interpretation: This is a time of new beginnings, of moving forward. You are more able to adapt to new situations for this time. You may notice that you have an improved memory during this time. You will be able to see things more clearly if you open your eyes and look around you.

Thoughts/Points to Ponder: The fool is just starting out on his journey. He is paying too much attention to the rose, and not watching where he's going trusting in fate.

BlackMoon

Can I join the group or is closed ?

GitanaK

What a fantastic idea and amazing description.

I don't know what the protocol is for study groups that haven't been posted to in a while but I would like to revive this one.

First off I would rename this card "The traveler" rather than the "The fool" in other decks the figure is skipping and acting a bit IMO foolish. Here the figure truly is just walking a path. For me the difference is choice, sometimes other fools feel like they are being propelled along, that they start the path almost unknowingly spurred by hormones or simple naivety. Here the traveler knows he is beginning a spiritual journey and is giving it the appropriate reverence.

The focus of the herb is energy and ability, not so much who the traveler is but what the traveler has within and is bringing along.

Some more tidbits about the herb, which is really fascinating, is it increases energy by increasing the efficiency of various systems. Ginseng also reduces stress and increases alertness. There is some evidence that ginseng inhibits cancer cells (yeah ginseng).

As the companion book mentions N. American ginseng has a milder effect compared to Oriental ginseng. However the wild supply of N. American ginseng was wiped out due to popular demand, (argg stupid people). Both the Oriental and N. American varieties are used as aphrodisiac.

There is a third variety of interest known as Siberian ginseng, which is related to hedging Eleutherococcus. The Siberian variety is cheaper and less stimulating than Oriental ginseng. The Siberian ginseng was used by Russian astronauts and it inceased stamina, strengthened resistence and reduced stress. Also the Siberian variety was used to ease radiation sickness after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

I am using The Herb Book by John Lust and the Smitsonian Handbook of Herbs by Lesly Bremness as supplemental references. I think this has exponentially increased my understanding of the herb and it is interesting how the historical tidbits relate to the meaning of the card ie journey to the space, and a nuclear explosion, talk about boundless energy.

I hope some more will join this group again and we can study the intersection of herbs and Tarot.

-----------------what a great idea! I am working on a personal project