Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

bonebeach 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
I am not so sure. Alienating a sizable chunk of your customer base hardly seems like a good business move. One thing is to do pricier special editions of reasonably priced decks, and a whole other is to do nothing but pricey special editions, which then will not be so special after all.
I agree with this so hard. Even most fashion houses have a diffusion brand. An Alexander McQueen dress is WAY out of my price range, but an McQ by Queen dress is...occasionally on clearance at a price that is attainable.

Different price points = wider audience. And I don't think the world of tarot is so big that it can sustain a studio that does only lux lux lux for long. They've already branched out with the bags and textiles, etc, but none of those things alone have the kind of fan base that their decks do, and you're not gonna hook fresh blood with scarves.

But who knows? I have a grand total of zero baba decks. I did order the Bohemian Gothic to see if it makes me get the hype (and also because I wanted it), but until it gets here...eehh.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #41
Citizen

daphne 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebeach View Post
I agree with this so hard. Even most fashion houses have a diffusion brand. An Alexander McQueen dress is WAY out of my price range, but an McQ by Queen dress is...occasionally on clearance at a price that is attainable.

Different price points = wider audience. And I don't think the world of tarot is so big that it can sustain a studio that does only lux lux lux for long. They've already branched out with the bags and textiles, etc, but none of those things alone have the kind of fan base that their decks do, and you're not gonna hook fresh blood with scarves.

But who knows? I have a grand total of zero baba decks. I did order the Bohemian Gothic to see if it makes me get the hype (and also because I wanted it), but until it gets here...eehh.
Unfortunately, the price is too high for me too, I have to invent some extraneous monetary balancing act to be able to afford it. I did it once for one of their decks and I felt... a sucker in the end. I suspect the high price is the reason I almost lost the pleasure to use their decks.. In a way, I find it unfair, it is still some printed paper with nice pictures, so many artists spending years on creating one good quality art deck will not charge near as much.

In fashion, with their popular name already, if they apply smart business, they can make fortunes with their label. They do it with tarot already.
I do not agree with the idea that starting with deck high prices will discourage the ebay resellers later on to profit. In fact, it is just the opposite, high pricing from start is automatically a justification for even way exaggerated pricing on re-sellers.
And it is not a collector item, they DO reprint reprint reprint. Who can blame them, it sells so good. In the end, the regular every day consumer is abused. And tarot people, statistically, are mostly just regular people, sometimes maybe with a higher awareness about things, but financially speaking not even on a high end of income scale. Mostly, sadly, on the contrary.

In the end, as long as there are enough people willing to pay that kind of money, it is just an encouragement for a regular deck price label higher and higher. They could easily ask even double or triple now then for an Alice deck. Why not, if it sells? And the marvel of it all is that it actually would, no matter how insensitive the price would rise.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #42
Citizen

Nemia 
Citizen

I can't afford Baba Studio decks just like I can't afford expensive clothes or perfume. They're luxury items. I have a large family, work hard for little money, and I can't afford to buy luxury items for myself. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that kind of sums for new, not historical, tarot decks. But just like Chanel and Gucci don't produce for me, Baba doesn't. They have a different target audience.

As long as people are willing to pay the price and feel that they get real value in return, who am I to argue? As a brand, they have a bit of a snob appeal and I have the feeling their prices are so high to keep them in that "class of their own".

I'm glad for places like Bookdepository - no shipping costs! And I'm also willing to support artists who publish their own decks but have no luxury brand with silk shawls and other marketable items, artists like Freder, Dame Darcy, Daniloff, Masa September and Nakisha. I feel their prices are fair, and their decks don't feel like luxury items to me.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #43
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma View Post
So once I get the book, to me, that completes my Baba buying! I don't need anything else from them.
Are they selling the book on its own, then ? That will make people who only have the 2nd edition happy, at least.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #44
Star clad

Padma 
Star clad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Are they selling the book on its own, then ? That will make people who only have the 2nd edition happy, at least.
That I do not know. I don't have Facebook
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #45
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma View Post
That I do not know. I don't have Facebook
Nor me - that's why I POSTED the question !!!! It certainly isn't mentioned on their website. It would be a smart move.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #46
Citizen

ana luisa 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Sure. But it is still very sad that people who do not have the money - simply do not have it, no matter how much they would sacrifice if they could - will still not be able to buy.

And I repeat - I don't mean me - I have it already. I am not whining on my own behalf, just very sad for those people who will still not be able to have a copy.

And if your only taste of chocolate would be Raisinettes or nothing ? It is so easy to forget how very hard up many people on AT actually are Students. Single parents. The unemployed. To name but a few.
Well said, gregory ! Some decks will unfortunately remain unreacheable to many. And we didn't even consider the outrageous shipping and taxes... Or decks that won't be sent to some countries like mine.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #47
Citizen

lightpers 
Citizen
Companion book

When with Alice Tarot and Victorian Romantic Tarot second edition, they made separate listing for deck and book, i hope this time also they will be using the same way.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #48
Citizen

chorphee 
Citizen

Maybe it's because I live In Europe but ordering from USA or Canada is a nightmare and makes Baba Studio not as bad. For instance : 50 $ of shipping cost from Gamecrafter (and surely 30 $ of customs charges...) Ok, they are the worst but it's probably 20 $ shipping cost in general.

With Baba Studio I can buy a 50 deck with one or two beautiful bags and I don't have to pay for the shipping cost if I am under 100 euros. Youpieee...I don't order their 450 decks because I still have to pay a rent at the end of the month.

You can wait for the second quality deck as I did for the Victorian Romantic Tarot (32 )... it was that or the 100 and something russian version. When you are not rich you have to be more patient or have good luck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #49
Citizen

cSpaceDiva 
Citizen

Quote:
I am not so sure. Alienating a sizable chunk of your customer base hardly seems like a good business move. One thing is to do pricier special editions of reasonably priced decks, and a whole other is to do nothing but pricey special editions, which then will not be so special after all. They are becoming the Harry Winston of the Tarot world.
I don't disagree, but I will just point out that this a special edition of what was once a readily available, reasonably priced, mass market deck. Also someone mentioned that this reissue is probably being done so that participants in the Prague tour will have access to a copy. I have a copy of the 2nd edition, so I'm undecided on this new version. I guess I'll reserve judgment until I see how extensive the changes are and know the price. Like others, I may just get the book if it's available as a stand alone.

Quote:
I may be wrong, of course. Personally, though, I'm losing interest in their current offerings, since I'm neither rich nor a collector, just a simple student of Tarot.
I could also be wrong here, but I honestly think they are losing interest too. I get the feeling they want to move in other directions creatively. And if they never make another new tarot deck, I can't really say that I'll be disappointed.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #50

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.