1st Returning Querent, but I'm not spiritually connected

Apollonia

KarlThomas said:
In a culture riddled with people simply gagging for cash, I like that there is one soul turning down the green stuff because the time is wrong.

Bravo!

It's not just about the cash, it's about being a professional. Enthusiasm is wonderful, but to do anything just for the love of it is the literal definition of amateur.

It's absolutely fine to read only when one feels like it, but I would argue that in that case, reading Tarot is not one's profession, it's one's hobby.

KarlThomas

Fair enough, I don't disagree with any of that.

Baroli

HighPriestesss said:
Things were slow at the weekly cafe', so I discontinued my readings there about a month ago.

Tonight my cell phone rang and it was a (the first ever!) querent I read about 2 months ago, looking for another reading. Apparently things I said were coming true and she was looking for further insight!

But feeling disconnected from "tarot," in general, at the present time, I became puzzled as to what I should do. My energy has been involved in other things, the holidays, traveling, etc. But it was my intent, over the summer, to build up a clientele.

I did return her call, thanked her for thinking of me and contacting me, and explained the above. She understood what I meant and requested whenever my energy returned to the tarot, would I give her a call for a reading. We established nothing was pressing at the moment and no decisions needed to be made, but she was merely curious what the cards would've said.

What do you do when this happens?

Welll, Ya see nothing like this ever happens to me. But I have to agree with Sulis, Franniee Griz, et al, perhaps this is not the thing for you to be doing and turning down a client,....really isn't a good way to keep a business going. Forget about the money aspect, if you are not willing to be there for the client simply because you don't feel "up to it," well it has all been said. I don't have to say it again.

Umbrae

Sounds to me like at some point you told the universe you wanted to be a Professional Tarot Reader.

Then it sounds like you changed your mind and forgot to tell the universe.

1) you either want to be a professional reader or not. figure it out fast.

2) if the answer to the above is yes - then you need to read regardless of 'how you feel'.

Let me put this a third way...

"Dear God - I really wanna read Tarot (for other people)!"
"Okay - Bam - you're a reader!"
"Not right now! I need new shoes first."

Grizabella would tell you to pull up your big girl panties and deal with it.
Umbrae'd tell you that it ain't about you - it's about the sitter.
The Universe gave you a call-back and you say, "But I'm not connected"

Yeah - it ain't about the money. It's the message you're sending out...to the universe.

Now I heard that someone thinks I'm being all judgmental and mean spirited when I pull this card - but it ain't that at all - it's about digging really deep into the soul...

It’s time for you to do a real deep brutal inventory...step one for you - write an essay: Why do you want to read Tarot (for others). 1500 words minimum. Not for posting publicly. The results are confidential - and can change your life.

Sheri

I've just finished a 3-night gig in a small downtown area here where I live, and on the day after the first night, I got a call from someone wanting a reading that day because it was her day off.

I called her back (my phone was off because I was in a meeting when she called) and left a message that I was available anytime next week to read for her and asked that she call me back if interested. I also apologized for not answering when she called.

I feel really bad about that because I WANT people to call me for appointments! I just wish they weren't so spontaneous about it! If she calls me back, I will read for her for free just because of the inconvenience.

Having a day job that gets in the way of my "real" job (reading cards) really stinks!!!

:love: valeria

Debra

Nothing is irrevocable, though. In the world of free-lancing services, people come and go all the time, for all kinds of reasons. I don't think you have to decide right now what you wanna be forever and ever. If you are not available to read, eventually your old clients will stop calling, and if you want to start again, you'll pay the start-up cost in lost time and needing to re-establish a reputation.

KarlThomas

Now there's a pleasant, moderate tone. Thanks for that.

I didn't quite hear the same call to defend professionalism which this thread seemed to spark, but I'm new here, and am trying to be respectful.

It's not my strong suit.

Moonbow

If spiritual connection is the way you read your cards and you don't feel connected spiritually, or to Tarot, then it could result in a negative or bad reading for your client, or at the very least an unhappy client who will never return. You could blank and see nothing in the cards, what then? Would your client be happy, would she come back for another reading, or would you lose her completely? I can see how it could be difficult to decide what to do. This never happened to me, my Tarot reading was part-time, with a day time job as well. I do understand periods of not connecting to Tarot though, and there are many threads and posts here on Aeclectic that are testament to the number of people this happens to. You will hear some members saying "give your cards a break" when that happens which is not easy if this is your main source of income but a dilemma nevertheless.

Rev_Vesta

Hi all.... reading through the thread i realised there are many differering opinions on this train of thought......

I would suggest that you think about your journey.... which path do you wish to take.........this has to be your decision, noone else can make it for you........

What works for one may not work for another..............

For me personally if for some reason I can not read.... I always tell a potential client I am fully booked, I don't need to tell the client I am booked in a personal compacity with personal feelings ........and to make an appointment for the future .........I get myself ready to do the reading at the right time for the client.........(this is because i want to build up a good reputation.........)......but this is what works for me.......

you do what you feel ready.....to do...

Blessings
Vesta