A Beginner's question about charging/care.

AmberFox

The full moon treatment or smudge treatment.

Hi,

Ok I am a white witch so I like to use this method but I can and will understand that not everyone will, cause taking care for your tarot cards is a personal thing I think. My witchcraft teacher does readings for a lot of people and she is a medium as well, but this is something she does whenever she has a new deck or when she wants to cleanse and clear and charge her decks. She has a big rosemary bush outside so when it is full moon, she wraps her decks in plastic bags and places them outside under the rosemary bush in the full moon, I place them on the windowsil in the full moon and/or move them trough incense smoke like sage and rosemary and say, I cleanse and clear this deck from any negativity and it is now charged to be used for the purpose of ther greater good....

Ok I guess this will not be everyones cup of tea but its just a little ritual I do for my tarot cards. Also I will reorder them, but thats to make the studying easier.

Blessed Be AmberFox

SakuraFae

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I think my book mentions setting them on a windowsill in the moonlight. I kinda like that, AmberFox :D

Nisaba, I love the idea of shuffling afterwards. It seems so simple and personal, the cards once again become "yours", but I wouldn't have thought of it.

Umbrae, thanks for taking the time to type all of that. I like your take on how the cards shape into more. I'm wishing I could feel your cards now. lol I already have a fondness for mine and I'm sure that will grow. I really have to look up Thoth, I'm familiar with RWS but not Thoth, and I've seen it all over the forum.

Thanks Fudugazi and Mellaenn. :D You've all helped me just by sharing.

SunChariot

SakuraFae said:
Good day all!

I am newly returned from a short past with tarot and new to the boards, please forgive my simply question and possibly posting on the wrong board.

I have searched the forums of care of my cards and see that it is as personal as the decks we choose, but I'm hoping to get a feel (from your replies) how to take care of my deck when not in use.

Do you carefully put the deck back in order each after each reading? I hesitate to do this because shuffling may leave many unshuffled for a reading. Is it okay to not put them back in order? It sounds funny but I want to show my respect and appreciation, not that the deck would get "mad" at my treatment but rather to feel I've shown that appreciation.

Any reply is welcome. :D

You don't have to apologize for your questions. There is no one here who was not a newbie at one time. And we all, each and every one of us started out knowing nothing and learnt bit by bit. :grin:

No I never put my cards back in order after a reading, not in the sense of putting the cards back into the order they were in when the deck first arrived. First because it is more work for the next reading. It take more shuffling when a deck is in order to mix the cards randomly. And secondly because I prefer them mixed and to think that with each reading the wisdom of the deck builds. You just continue where you left off and each reading adds to it.

BUT, when I do use reversals in a reading (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't) I do uprigth all the reversed cards in a deck before I put the deck away. I do this because I find it simpler. Because I don't use reversals each time I read. And I find it annoying when I pick up a deck with no intention of using reversals and half the deck is already upside down. I'd rather fix that before I put the deck away than have to deal with it in the next reading.

When I finish a reading, all I do is make sure all the cards are upright, put the cards from the reading back on the top of the deck and shuffle just once to mix them back in again.

A lot of this, probably all of it, is just personal choice. Whatever feels right to you and works well is right for you.

No your decks can't get mad at you, but you're right, the more respect you feel for them and if you treat them respectfully they do tend to work better.

What else I do is I keep mine each in their own individual pouch, each of which I personally find beautiful. They are in a drawer, actually in two drawers now as I have so many, but I always keep something scented near them. Most have some dried lavendar in the pouch with them, and there are scented candles in the drawer.

For me I always light a scented candle when I start a reading (or any spiritual work). I don't remember why I got into that habit. Usually a candle or sometimes incense. I guess because the rising smoke rising upwards serves to remind me of my connection and that I am asking for help from above...

And I am one of those who does not like others to touch their decks. There are a few people I would let touch them but just a few...like other Tarot readers I trust or one other man I love. But otherwise, I don't like them to be touched by someone who might not have the same high repsect and reverence I have for them. I only read for others online anyway, so it's not like there is any reason others need to touch them anyway.

Anyway, that's me, :grin:

Babs

direwolf336

This was also a great question for me to know...and what the answers are so can take the proper care.... I think I have read to store you cards in a bag with a crystal? Or maybe I just imaged that..Not sure..But it makes since that the cards should have the same respect that you give yourself...Even if that means sometimes you dont...

nisaba

SakuraFae said:
Nisaba, I love the idea of shuffling afterwards. It seems so simple and personal, the cards once again become "yours", but I wouldn't have thought of it.
And you can tell by shuffling how intense it has b een - sometimes the shuffle is brief and cursory, other times I spend a fair bit of time shuffling. Just until the deck feels happy.